vyvanse ritalin stimulant adhd augmentation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rian

• 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Good Afternoon,

I have been on Vyvanse for the past few weeks and it seems to help me with some aspects of my attention, motivation, and focus.  That being said, I am still dealing with not feeling like myself, which I have been dealing with for the past few years.  Depression, rare anxiety, slight depersonalization are some of the issues I have been dealing with.  Stimulants seem to help in some areas, but not in others. 

I have yet another appointment with my Psychiatrist tomorrow and I was wondering if I could get some insight on any options that may be laid out on the table.  I am sure my Doctor will have his own ideas, which I respect greatly, but I always like to be somewhat prepared before my meetings. 

I apologize, I will get to the point, Does anyone out there in Longecity have any ideas, opinions, or suggestions on augmenting options for me?  Should I look into trying an antidepressant alongside my stimulant?  Perhaps a different stimulant would work differently, possibly better?  Should I consider dropping the stimulant and trying a different class of medication alone? 

Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you very much for your time and patience.

Mike

#2 titanxvx

• 23 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:52 PM

What was your psychiarists clinical diagnoses?

How many visits to come to that diagnoses?

Have you only seen one?

Any diagnose from a pschotherapist?

What do you assume is the base cause of your condition?

What's your professional treatment history?

What's your personal treatment history?

The more details you can provide the more precise recommendations can be made. Otherwise you'll just get shotgunned with allot

of generalized ideas. Those can work against a proper and expediant solution.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:44 PM

Questions

What was your psychiarists clinical diagnoses?

-ADHD from Childhood, may not have an actual mood or anxiety disorder, mood and anxiety symptoms can all relate to ADHD, no bipolar.  (This is word for word from the Diagnostic sheet he printed out after my first meeting)

How many visits to come to that diagnoses?

- First Visit was 1.5 hour long, He said he thinks I have had ADHD-PI since I was a child, now an adult, and my mental health issues I discuss can all be related to dealing with ADHD-PI.

Have you only seen one?

- Yes, I have only seen one Psychiatrist, but before him, I was seeing my Family Doctor who had me on a SSRI and Ativan for many years, which caused a lot of problems for me.  I have now been off of all medication for about 2.5 years, except for the last few weeks being on a stimulant. 

Any diagnose from a pschotherapist? No, But I did see a Psychologist before I started to see my Psychiatrist.  

- Psychologist said it was Depression, suggested I go on Effexor...... which I chose not to do.

What do you assume is the base cause of your condition?

-Years of substance abuse, street drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, emotional trauma, Depression causing cognitive issues? I am not very knowledgeable about mental health or diagnosing, but I believe I have done a lot of damage from substance abuse, multiple drugs, for years, whilst on SSRI and Ativan.  I have taken the necessary steps to get my self healthy by eating a very healthy diet, exercising 5+ days a week, and maintaining a good sleep schedule.  I have been doing this healthy lifestyle for more than 2.5 years now, as well as being off of all medications, other than the past few weeks of stimulants. 

What's your professional treatment history?

-Cipralex, ativan, was on this for more than 4 years.

-Vyvanse, the last few weeks

What's your personal treatment history?

-Eating right(lots of vegetables, leafy greens, variety of fruits and nuts, fish, the good fats and oils, ect ect)

-Exercising 5+ a week

-Try my best to maintain a good sleep routine

-Fish Oils, Creatine, Magnesium, vitamin D, CoQ10

-Green smoothies, using tumeric, cinamon, cocoa, and other spices and herbs, plus veggies and fruits

The more details you can provide the more precise recommendations can be made. Otherwise you'll just get shotgunned with allot

of generalized ideas. Those can work against a proper and expediant solution.

-Thank you so very much, I have trouble organizing most things, I apologize if I have made of mess of answering these quesitons, I have tried my best to offer the correct information. 

I hope this helps out :), Thanks again for asking these questions, it was so much easier being able to answer questions than to organize a better thread topic. 

#4 titanxvx

• 23 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

It sounds like you have done a fantastic job of putting your life back together after what sounds like a long history of abuse. It takes a great deal of fortitude

to do that. You should be proud of the advances you've made.

You sound like you respect your doctor so I imagine you trust him/her to make good judgements for you. Your best option IMO is to be absolutely 100% honest and open with him/her. Write down ALL your concerns before you go and address each and every one from the list. They already know alot more about you at this point then anyone on this forum ever will. We are all individuals and any combination that worked for person x does not mean that would work for you.

Best of luck with your appointment today. Let us know how it goes.

#5 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

It sounds like you have done a fantastic job of putting your life back together after what sounds like a long history of abuse. It takes a great deal of fortitude

You sound like you respect your doctor so I imagine you trust him/her to make good judgements for you. Your best option IMO is to be absolutely 100% honest and open with him/her. Write down ALL your concerns before you go and address each and every one from the list. They already know alot more about you at this point then anyone on this forum ever will. We are all individuals and any combination that worked for person x does not mean that would work for you.

Thank you for the kind words my friend. 

I just got back from my 30 minute meeting with my Doctor.  He wants me to keep using just the Vyvanse, but go up 10mg each week until I reach 60mg a week, or whatever feels comfortable before that dosage. 

I am very disappointed.  I really do not want to be using Vyanse.  I have explained to him that I had bad side effects and it wasnt feeling right, but he said that at a higher dose it may help me out and fix my issues.

I tried to express to him that I feel more depressed and depersonalized than I do feeling inattentive adhd. 

I was really hoping to try an antidepressant or a mood stabilizer, since reading up on BDNF and neurogenesis.

He said that I can always add some medication alongside my stimulant, but down the road, after I use the vyvanse for a while more and see if it helps at a higher dose.

I am just worried it is a bad idea since I had bad side effects at 30mg (freezing feet, tight chest, dizzy, bit of flushed face) I told him all this, believing that the vyvanse was causing low blood pressure.  He said vyvanse does not have these side effects that cause low blood pressure.  Also, I worry about my heart, I used to have a drug and alcohol addiction for many years (10+) and I have only been clean and sober for nearly 3 years, I just hope my heart isnt worn out from all the street stimulants I used in my past.  Hopefully my exercise and diet have healed my body a bit these past years. 

I apologize for rambling on, I respect and appreciate any and all help with my issues. 

I know Longecity is not a place for ex-drug addicts to cry about their problems, but I legitimately want to improve my life and become a better person, make up for a life-time of mistakes, and help out others.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Mike

#6 pro-v

• 112 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

The freezing feet, tight chest and flushed face are signs of vasoconstriction, which IS common for stimulants. That should subside with time

#7 Michael Rian

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:14 AM

The freezing feet, tight chest and flushed face are signs of vasoconstriction, which IS common for stimulants. That should subside with time

That is what I thought!  Thank you very much for verifying my suspicions.  It really is a relief to hear someone else tell me this.  I do hope they subside sooner than later.  Thanks again

#8 titanxvx

• 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for the kind words my friend. 

I just got back from my 30 minute meeting with my Doctor.  He wants me to keep using just the Vyvanse, but go up 10mg each week until I reach 60mg a week, or whatever feels comfortable before that dosage. 

I am very disappointed.  I really do not want to be using Vyanse.  I have explained to him that I had bad side effects and it wasnt feeling right, but he said that at a higher dose it may help me out and fix my issues.

I tried to express to him that I feel more depressed and depersonalized than I do feeling inattentive adhd. 

I was really hoping to try an antidepressant or a mood stabilizer, since reading up on BDNF and neurogenesis.

He said that I can always add some medication alongside my stimulant, but down the road, after I use the vyvanse for a while more and see if it helps at a higher dose.

I am just worried it is a bad idea since I had bad side effects at 30mg (freezing feet, tight chest, dizzy, bit of flushed face) I told him all this, believing that the vyvanse was causing low blood pressure.  He said vyvanse does not have these side effects that cause low blood pressure.  Also, I worry about my heart, I used to have a drug and alcohol addiction for many years (10+) and I have only been clean and sober for nearly 3 years, I just hope my heart isnt worn out from all the street stimulants I used in my past.  Hopefully my exercise and diet have healed my body a bit these past years. 

I apologize for rambling on, I respect and appreciate any and all help with my issues. 

I know Longecity is not a place for ex-drug addicts to cry about their problems, but I legitimately want to improve my life and become a better person, make up for a life-time of mistakes, and help out others.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Mike

You might try NSI-189 as a anti-depressant. Although adding it to a pharmacuetical could be an issue. Search longecity with the keywords NSI-189 and xyvanse and see if you come up with related posts. Or post a reply in the nsi-189 thread on that combo.

I read through the entire nsi-189 thread (91 pgs) and remember it being mentioned a few times. Nsi-189 has helped me recently with  low level and seasonal depression. And I was always a non-responder to traditional depression medications, and had been struggling with this for 10 years. But nsi seems to have a different mechanism of action. And has indications of nuerogenisis properties.

I had tried many of the traditional nootropics about 5 years ago without any success, but there is a next generation of nootropics that looks promising, Nsi-189 being one of them. And I've just started to do the research on the new classes of nootropics so my help here is limited.

But you have to do your homework and decide what's best for yourself. And don't be afraid to ask anything. We are all here for one reason or another. You are not a cry-baby drug addict anymore, you have already redefined yourself and are trying to find a better solution. Just like the rest of us.

I look forward to seeing queries in future forums.

#9 Inosine

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:29 AM

You might try NSI-189 as a anti-depressant. Although adding it to a pharmacuetical could be an issue. Search longecity with the keywords NSI-189 and xyvanse and see if you come up with related posts. Or post a reply in the nsi-189 thread on that combo.

I read through the entire nsi-189 thread (91 pgs) and remember it being mentioned a few times. Nsi-189 has helped me recently with  low level and seasonal depression. And I was always a non-responder to traditional depression medications, and had been struggling with this for 10 years. But nsi seems to have a different mechanism of action. And has indications of nuerogenisis properties.

I had tried many of the traditional nootropics about 5 years ago without any success, but there is a next generation of nootropics that looks promising, Nsi-189 being one of them. And I've just started to do the research on the new classes of nootropics so my help here is limited.

But you have to do your homework and decide what's best for yourself. And don't be afraid to ask anything. We are all here for one reason or another. You are not a cry-baby drug addict anymore, you have already redefined yourself and are trying to find a better solution. Just like the rest of us.

I look forward to seeing queries in future forums.

did you learn any useful information from reading through the whole thing?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 thewallypug

• 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:49 AM

You might want to add guanfacine
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10192826
There's a lot of basic information about it on mainstream websites.
It can make you sleepy at first. Can lower blood pressure. (A good thing for so many grown-ups!)

It took away all my free-floating anxiety without causing fog like benzos can.

Also,
I'm immune to SSRI's but bupropion works for me for depression - it's supposed to be good for ADD ADHD or whatever they call it this week, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vyvanse, ritalin, stimulant, adhd, augmentation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users