• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Can you safely take these supplements in conjunction?

lithium

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 j87

• 52 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:09 AM

I don't want to risk serotonin syndrome. I'm wondering would this be safe? I take lithium every day (my fav supplement), 5htp is very good for depression but I only use it a couple times per week. I have yet to try St John's Wort (parika or another good extract). Is there any danger in combining these at low doses?

Lithium orotate (20mg)

St John's Wort 

Bacopa (300mg)

5htp (no more than 100mg 2x per week)

tianeptine (12mg every once in a while)

Edited by j87, 04 November 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#2 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

St johns wort and tianeptine would be contradicted, But low doses could avoid "serotonin syndrome." The risk is on you I guess.

Probably better to do one or the other. 

Also what does '12mg every once and a while' mean?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Pallas

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

How come you only take 5htp 2x per week? 

I hear contradicting results on combining 5htp and St. Johns together as one boosts seratonin and the latter inhibits reuptake of it, could lead to Serotonin Syndrome like the previous guy aforementioned. 

#4 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

You should be fine at those doses, but why not break your 5htp up into smaller doses and take it more frequently? A shrink I respect told me 90% of your serotonin turns over daily, so taking 5htp only once or twice a week won't be as effective.

The latest on tianeptine, IIRC, is that its effects on serotonin are primarily limited to increasing its binding to platelets, and its real mojo comes from its action on opiate receptors.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 j87

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

St johns wort and tianeptine would be contradicted, But low doses could avoid "serotonin syndrome." The risk is on you I guess.

Probably better to do one or the other. 

Also what does '12mg every once and a while' mean?

I don't want to take tianeptine every day and become dependent on it. I plan to save it for days where I'm feeling especially down. 

How come you only take 5htp 2x per week? 

I hear contradicting results on combining 5htp and St. Johns together as one boosts seratonin and the latter inhibits reuptake of it, could lead to Serotonin Syndrome like the previous guy aforementioned. 

From everything I've read, 5htp daily use should be avoided. I feel the a few times per week is good enough (and safe). 

You should be fine at those doses, but why not break your 5htp up into smaller doses and take it more frequently? A shrink I respect told me 90% of your serotonin turns over daily, so taking 5htp only once or twice a week won't be as effective.

The latest on tianeptine, IIRC, is that its effects on serotonin are primarily limited to increasing its binding to platelets, and its real mojo comes from its action on opiate receptors.

I took 12mg tianeptine (with nothing else) and had noticeable anxiety for a good 5 minutes. Tried 25mg and anxiety lasted even longer. If I took more than this I would have a panic attack, I'm note sure why this is, since it is supposed to reduce anxiety. After anxiety subsided I felt good though. 

Edited by j87, 05 November 2014 - 09:37 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lithium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users