• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Would it be feasible to remove Methionine from a protein powder?

methionine igf-1 protein longevity amino acids leucine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ikon2

• 69 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

I have always been very athletic and for years was into the "mainstream" sports supplements (protein shakes, etc).  I then got into shakes without artificial sweeteners, then finally into using predominantly plant-based protein shakes.

Notwithstanding the argument that we may not need as much protein in our diets as we have historically thought (some emerging research suggests this), I am now leaning toward less protein just for the simple fact that more protein = higher methionine.  Methionine restriction has been postulated to be responsible for up to 50% of CR's benefits.  My question is also not withstanding the theory that the CR model proven in small animals does not translate equally to humans.

I'm wondering if there would be a (commercial) way for a protein powder to be produced and then the methionine removed (or produced without it in the first place).  In this way, one may be able to reap the (supposed) befits of a higher-protein diet while simultaneously reaping the benefits of calorie (methionine) restriction.  I guess this would be an "incomplete" protein strand, but many plant based proteins are anyway but one's body combines other amino's to form what it needs anyway.  This is why I've always used plant protein "blends" as they will each have different amino content.

I postulate that methionine may be similar to leucine in that leucine, when used on its own has little to no protein synthesis triggering but when combined in high dose with other aminos (or even better whole protein) present, it seems to have a dose-dependent triggering effect.  I guess I am thinking (since the body does need some degree of methionine and it is present in protein in general) that a little may go a long way.  In this way, maybe the want to be on a high protein diet can be reconciled with keeping methionine low.

I do wonder though, to how much of the IGF-1 elevation associated with protein consumption is methionine responsible?  I'm not advocating for or against IGF-1 as the positive or negative effects of IGF-1 is an entirely other discussion, I'm just wondering for the sake of knowing how methionine restriction, while keeping the rest of "protein" in one's diet would effect IGF-1.

I wonder how hard it would be to manufacture a product like this and what effect it would have on longevity and also muscle mass if it existed?

#2 The Ripper

• 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

Relevant to my interests. I'd like to know if something like pea protein powder could be used in isolation as a way of getting high protein intake with low methionine content and what effect this would have on muscle building.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

Curious here so I'm going to watch this thread and read.

#4 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:40 PM

Great idea, hopefully someone will produce it. I searched for a lower methionine product without success. It's why I eliminated protein powder from my regimen

#5 ikon2

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

I guess one could "make" one by piecing it together from various vegetable-based proteins but then it would be low in BCAA's and Leucine in particular.  I plan to make one with pea and hemp protein and add BCAA's and leucine.  I'll likely add some Glycine and Serine as well to tip the Glycine/Serine v. Me/Cysteine balance in my favor.  The Glycine will also clear extra Me away intra-cellularly (studies posted on Longecity somewhere prior on this) resulting in an even lower net Me value.  My only concern is that Glycine ,may raise IGF levels too much but maybe the Me reduction is still a net healthier result?  Also, I'm doing this for purposes of a bit of muscle building anyway so I guess a bit of IGF may be okay.

Which brought me to my original question in wondering if there would just be an easier way to manufacture low Me whey protein for example.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:51 AM

It should be possible to genetically engineer a system to make some sort of protein that would be close to the AA composition we want, and just tweak it to reduce MET and raise the ones we wanted more of.   If you had a really great expression system, you could grow it in giant vats.  Or maybe we could engineer a food crop to have a reduced MET level.  That would probably work a lot better than bacteria.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: methionine, igf-1, protein, longevity, amino acids, leucine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users