• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Stress Adaptogens - the first step in actually treating Antisocial Personality Disorder?

antisocial personality disorder psychopathy stress herbs panax ginseng glycyrrhiza glabra

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 agwoodliffe

• 120 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

Let me start by saying this whole post may be complete crap. I already made a similar one a few years ago, but hope to delve a little deeper on this matter.

Antisocial Personality Disorder is a phenomenon which still plagues the world we live in. Countless victims of this problem are accumulating every year. But the biggest concern is that this is one disorder (if I may call it that) that scientists still have no idea to treat.

From the literature I have read, it seems this is rooted in a chronic underarousal of the stress system, paired with a high functioning of chemicals involved in dominance (including Dopamine and Testosterone).

Funnily enough, patients with Major Depression show the complete opposite.

The important thing about stress is that it is the direct root of being able to experience guilt or sadness. It also is productive, because it makes people think twice before doing something, and allows people to effectively plot a route towards achieving a long term goal. 

The consequences of extreme stress are quite obvious. But when the stress response is insufficient, that is equally as detrimental to the individual. 

What makes it a real problem for society though, is when the individual is also high in another area, such as testosterone or in neurotransmitters involved in motivation & reward. A classic example is the school bully.

Some grow out of it in adulthood, but some stay bad (perhaps getting even worse with age).

The most extreme people, ie. the psychopaths, actually are able to remain largely inconspicuous. Take for example the reason case in the UK of the student who stabbed a teacher to death for seemingly no reason.

His friends say they thought of him as a quiet, shy, ordinary guy. Yet the investigators said he has shown no remorse whatsoever in his crime, quite the opposite actually.

Or less extreme cases of people who remain delinquent through their 20's, 30's. Consistently getting into trouble with the law, frequent drug abuse, endless turmoil with family members, counts of abuse towards partners.

They will never change because they don't see anything wrong with this behaviour. 

So if cases of extreme stress (depression, anxiety) can be treated, how do you treat the opposite?

The closest I have come is looking at a certain category of plants called adaptogens. The 2 that have the widest array of data are Panax Ginseng, and Glycyrrhiza Glabra. 

Panax has been shown to acutely stimulate the HPA axis (involved in cortisol), and Glycyrrhiza has been shown to prolong the action of stress.

I already mentioned this to Professor James Fallon, who referred it on to some of his colleagues. Funnily enough, they drew a blank, although they said ''it would make sense''.

• like x 1
  • Well Written x 1

#2 drstrangeglove

• 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

This is an interesting idea, and would probably be effective for the criminal underclass.However, I want to add that the "loner" types who lash out are typically under extreme amounts of stress and anxiety that they don't know how to deal other than lashing out. Over time, chronic stress desensitizes them to any sort of strong emotion i.e. depersonalization which would explain why they don't feel any guilt. So I think that this idea would apply to the many thugs in prison but not the "Harris and Klebold" types who are in the other category. 

Edited by drstrangeglove, 06 November 2014 - 04:40 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 factsmachine

• 100 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

I've read James Fallon's book, and I've wanted to meet the guy since I read it. I want to get a brain scan done to see if I show decreased orbito-frontal cortex activation. Or any of the other brain patterns for sociopathy (or ASPD, pick your poison) I have an extreme problem with being impulsive. I was mistreated as a child, my mom never cared about me (she may have handed me the genes). I pretty much do risky shit for no reason but for fun, have almost done some things I won't divulge directly because of the nature of these things. 
But my testosterone level is extremely low right now, in the double digits. I have plenty of things to experiment with such as L-theanine, adaptogens, racetams, drugs, steroids, whatever. 
I also suffer from depression and anxiety though. I realize that the coldness of my personality could come from being so depressed you just don't care about anybody else but I go a bit beyond that. Rereading the above posts, Drstrangeglove, your statements above could be relevant to me. 
However most people that really plan out killings (for example Elliot Rodgers) show more patterns with sociopathy than just lashing out from negative moods. He had delusions of grandeur, very high intelligence, said as a child he always felt different than other kids which could be a big enough stress to trigger the changes that James Fallon did not experience despite his brain scan showing he was psychopathic.
Currently, I'm on a dose of prami and I feel really good though. 

I want to help with the progress of this thread, as I show all of the symptoms of ASPD.

• Failure to conform to social norms
  • Deceitfulness
  • Impulsivity
  • Irritability and aggressiveness
  • Reckless disregard
  • Consistent irresponsibility
  • Lack of remorse

Edited by factsmachine, 17 November 2014 - 06:21 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2022 - 09:51 PM

Being online still counts as being social you get similar feelings. Reading things, watching vids etc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antisocial, personality, disorder, psychopathy, stress, herbs, panax, ginseng, glycyrrhiza, glabra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users