http://wiat.com/2014...or-human-trial/

Anyone know where to get Verapamil?

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

It looks like any type of calcium channel blocker will work for that purpose, so it might be better to use a 'dipine like felodipine. Only that class seems to work for Parkinson's prevention and treatment. All Day Chemist has both verapamil and felodipine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

TXNIP, which is naturally in the body and not harmful at normal levels, slows the insulin production until it ultimately kills the Beta cells. Verapamil lowered the TXNIP levels to the point where Beta cells could potentially have started rejuvenating; however, Dr. Shalev said it’s not clear yet whether more Beta cells were being produced, or rather the environment was improved for them to become more clear in readings.

http://wiat.com/2014...or-human-trial/

but before you rush out to get Verapamil, consider the ref's on this site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/10628 One of the current titles: Thioredoxin interacting protein (TXNIP) is a novel tumor suppressor in thyroid cancer. And this paper implies that CR can reduce the levels of TXNIP: Posttranslational regulation of thioredoxin-interacting protein

In other words, Verapamil does not look like somthing one would take 'just in case'. 

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#4 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:31 AM

Of interest, while the above studies were performed at 11.1 mmol/L glucose, verapamil failed to reduce TXNIP expression under low normal (5 mmol/L glucose) conditions (Supplementary Fig. 1B).

5 mM is 90 mg/dl, so it looks like we might get a free lunch here and have TXNIP reduced only when going diabetic.

#5 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:41 AM

Of interest, while the above studies were performed at 11.1 mmol/L glucose, verapamil failed to reduce TXNIP expression under low normal (5 mmol/L glucose) conditions (Supplementary Fig. 1B).

5 mM is 90 mg/dl, so it looks like we might get a free lunch here and have TXNIP reduced only when going diabetic.

I've never seen 11.1 mmol/L glucose in me, not even  after a high-carb meal. Where's free lunch? 

#6 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

Verapamil and other calcium channel blockers have been around for a long time. Surely many diabetics have used them for their various indications. It seems like they would have noticed that they didn't need to use as much insulin. I wonder if the dose or something is different in this trial.

Edited by ta5, 08 November 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#7 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:45 AM

I've never seen 11.1 mmol/L glucose in me, not even  after a high-carb meal. Where's free lunch? 

You don't have to worry about losing tumor suppression unless you're also losing beta cells, in which case it would be an acceptable risk.

Verapamil and other calcium channel blockers have been around for a long time. Surely many diabetics have used them for their various indications. It seems like they would have noticed that they didn't need to use as much insulin. I wonder if the dose or something is different in this trial.

The authors suggest that they usually don't start using it soon enough.

In addition, while our data indicate that verapamil is capable of reversing diabetes progression in overtly diabetic mice, the effect is more pronounced when the treatment is initiated earlier in the disease progress. However, unlike ACE inhibitors, calcium channel blockers are not typically used as the first-line antihypertensive drug in patients with diabetes, resulting in a diabetic population taking verapamil that is skewed toward those with long-term disease where the intervention may be less effective.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Verapamil is associated with an increased risk of cancer in the elderly: the Rotterdam study.

...verapamil was significantly associated with cancer with RRs of 2.1 (95% CI: 1.1-4.0) and 2.0 (1.01-3.9), respectively, whereas no associations were found with the other CCB in this study, i.e. diltiazem and nifedipine.

• like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diabetes, verapamil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users