Lavender oil restores sleep in benzo withdrawal and improves sleep quality

lavender oil sleep quality insomnia

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

4.4. Sleep and Lavender

Lavender has been suggested as an excellent natural remedy to treat insomnia and improve the sleep quality. Single-blind randomized studies investigated the effectiveness of lavender odor on quality of sleep showed that lavender improved the mean scores of sleep quality in fifteen healthy students [74], in sixty-four ischemic heart disease patients [75], and in thirty-four midlife women with insomnia [76]. Ten individuals with insomnia, verified by a score of 5 or more on the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI), were treated with lavender odor. Six to eight drops of lavender oil added each night to the cartridge improved the PSQI score by −2.5 points. More notable improvements were seen in females and younger participants. Milder insomnia also improved more than severe ones [77]. Oral lavender oil preparation (80 mg/day) showed a significant beneficial influence on quality and duration of sleep and improved general mental and physical health without causing any unwanted sedative or other drug specific effects in 221 patients suffering from subsyndromal (mixed) anxiety disorder [52]. A mixture of essential oils including lavender, basil, juniper, and sweet marjoram is shown to reduce sleep disturbance and improve overall well-being in older patients [78]. In a clinical study on four benzodiazepine dependent geriatric patients, there was a significant decrease in sleep duration by stopping benzodiazepine treatment, which was restored to previous levels by substitution of aromatherapy with lavender oil. This study suggested that ambient lavender oil might be used as a temporary relief from continued medication for insomnia and reduces the side-effects of these drugs [79]. In a study on thirty-one hospitalized patients, administration of lavender odor showed a trend towards an improved quality of daytime wakefulness and more sustained sleep at night [80]. In contrary to these data, it should be noted that the use of aromatherapy massage with lavender oil has no beneficial effect on the sleep patterns of children with autism attending a residential school. It was suggested that this therapy may show greater effects in the home environment or with longer-term interventions [81].

→ source (external link)

Only four patients in the study but overall there's a good amount of data that shows lavender is effective anxiolytic and sleep aid. Something to consider if you take tranquilizers or looking for alternative treatment for insomnia and/or anxiety. Lavender oil is also very handy because just inhaling the aroma works rapidly. I've used it to help with Phenibut withdrawal insomnia and anxiety.

Examine page: http://examine.com/s...ments/Lavender/

#2 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

There's a few blurbs on lavender oil here.

Aromatherapy and the Central Nerve System (CNS): Therapeutic Mecha-
nism and its Associated Genes

https://docs.google....sp=docslist_api
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

I´ve wrote this somewhere allready.

Its because Lavender is a calcium channles blocker.

Consider Lemon Balm for insomnia too,

the responsible rosmarinic acid is a gaba degradation inhibitor.

Btw from my experineces, Rosemary is not that good because of its cholineserase inhibition.

Edit: sry I´ve just noticed that its about aroma therapy.

Edited by Flex, 08 November 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#4 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

Yeah thanks for pointing that out. When taken a few drops orally it reminds me of Pregabalin a bit. Lavender oil appears to also have effect at dopamine D3 receptor resulting in anti-depressive effect. It's very nice stuff really - not addictive or recreational but helpful and capable of improving life quality, which to me is the main purpose.

#5 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

Interesting.

I can't find anything now but I think I read something about some hormonal effect of lavender...

#6 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Interesting.

I can't find anything now but I think I read something about some hormonal effect of lavender...

Heres the link, if You are looking for:

Lavender Oil-Potent Anxiolytic Properties via Modulating Voltage Dependent Calcium Channels

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0059998

• like x 1

#7 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

Interesting.

This has been discussed on Reddit.

http://www.reddit.co...ged_dangers_of/

#8 neuralis

• 84 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

Ive tried the aromatherapic approach to treat my insomnia with little success.

Meanwhile Memantine IR has completely cleared all my sleep issues, which mostly stem from years of benzo use. I now have no trouble falling asleep, get more deep sleep, barely no nighttime awakenings and feel more rested when I wake up.

I have battled insomnia for most of my life and benzos made it only worse. It truly is a panacea for all my sleep related issues.

#9 Bateau

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

Consider Lemon Balm for insomnia too,

the responsible rosmarinic acid is a gaba degradation inhibitor.

Edit: sry I´ve just noticed that its about aroma therapy.

I have to second the consideration of lemon balm. Lavender and lemon balm are my go-to's if I'm having sleep issues (usually caused by taking modafinil anytime other than right when i wake up).

Very effective individually as well as combined. Ive tried the combo as pills, as aromatherapy, and Ive even vaporized the combo (tastes almost like delicious soap but less gross, very refreshing). Every method seems to work.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

At what temp and how much (drops of the essential oil?) do you vaporize? Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lavender, oil, sleep, quality, insomnia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users