- - - - -

Liposomal C60OO? An Interesting Read...

c60oo liposomes liposomal antioxidant

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ikon2

• 69 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

My wheels were turning last night and I started to think about the possibility of the possibility/benefit of lipospheric c60oo and if it had already been conceived.  It appears so, as I came across this paper:  

Liposome Formulation of Fullerene-Based Molecular Diagnostic and Therapeutic Agents

Not only does it seem that this method would increase the effectiveness of the c60oo itself, but other compounds could also be encapsulated within the bucky cage, then within a liposome.  And given that liposomes are easy to make, especially if one has a good commercial untrasonic bath, my wheels began turning even faster.

This opens up an exciting area of discussion..

So let me propose a few questions:

1.  If one had the raw fullerenes, would the method of encapsulating them in liposomes be the same as say, vitamin C?

2.  If so, how difficult a process would it be to then (or prior rather, or simultaneously) encapsulate another compound within the fullerene?

3.  I was thinking something like S-Acetyl-Glutathione, which seems is already sufficiently available might be a good candidate to increase its penetration into cells even further, given Glutathione's notorious problem in first surviving the digestive tract and then subsequent problem of penetrating the cell.

4.  Which brought me to my next question about what can be encapsulated in a liposome anyway.  Obviously a peptide or something delicate could not, at least through an ultrasonic method due to its likely destruction from the vibrations and heat (but could possibly be made to a lesser extent just with alcohol method only) but could these bonded aminos such as SAG or NAC be encapsulated?  How about something like ubiquinol?  I've seen vitamins such as D sold as lipospheric but don't know the efficacy of doing so.  Thoughts?

5.  C60oo seems like an excellent candidate in that, rather than being emulsified in oo, which clearly works great, fullerene's ease of combining with one lipid should be easily translated over to another lipid such as lecithin (or even specifically phosphatidylcholine only).  But in examining the Baati method of making the c60oo, it was created with a magnetic stirring and over long periods of time, filtered, etc.  How or in which step of the process could one apply these principles to a liposomic formulation, or would one even want/need to?

6. On the topic of c60oo in general (not relative to the above about liposomes but rather just a general c60oo question), would it be beneficial relative to the fullerenes to combine them with a different lipid such as a macadamia oil or a saturated fat instead, notwithstanding the health benefits/negatives of that particular lipid?

• like x 1

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

other compounds could also be encapsulated within the bucky cage

First, there is no room for anything but the most simple molecule, and second, no easy way to get anything in there. (See endohedral fullerene and you'll get an idea of how small that space is.) Besides, once something is in there, it's not coming out. The C60 molecule is indestructible under normal conditions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

To answer a couple of the op's questions, c60-oo could be used as the lipid phase of a liposome system, although I don't see much need for it, as the bioavailability of c60-oo is already extremely good.  C60 could be combined with other oils, and it would react in a similar fashion.  You could probably get different behaviors out of the products of c60 and oils of different chain lengths and degrees of saturation, although the differences would likely be subtle in a human.  There is evidence from Cataldo's lab that the reaction between c60 and vegetable oils proceeds through a peroxide intermediate.  There are probably other reaction mechanisms with unsaturated oils that are less facile than the peroxide reaction, but might happen given enough time.  Saturated oils, due to their lack of double bonds and peroxides, probably would not react with c60.  Most saturated oils from plant or animal sources contain at least a small amount of unsaturated fatty acids, so those would probably react eventually, but the amount of c60 you could get into a mostly-saturated oil would probably be less than with something like olive oil that is mostly monounsaturated.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 SIRT1

• 29 posts
Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

Re: possible advantages of using another carrier oil

I don't see any advantage of using any saturated oil, as they have been associated with increased atherosclerotic lesions compared to olive oil in animal studies.

Olive oil and macadamia oil tend to have a similar composition, in animal studies atherosclerotic lesions from EVOO were negligable (sp?)

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Edited by SIRT1, 25 November 2014 - 07:40 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c60oo, liposomes, liposomal, antioxidant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users