• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Supplement for neurogenesis/protection, Rilozole/Rilutek...

brain neurogenesis neuroprotection axon nerve uridine ngf

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ikon2

• 69 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

I was in a severe car accident a year or so ago and ruptured a disc in my neck.  It began pressing on my brachial nerve root.  The pain down my arm was debilitating and my arm began to atrophy and severely weaken.  My neuro suggested PT, which I completed.  The symptoms continued so I had surgery to remove the insult from the nerve.

The problem is, once a nerve had been pressed on, it does not "bounce back" once the insult is removed..  It causes an injury not unlike a heart attack where the tissue (nerve) is deprived of oxygen and falls dormant or dies.  This in turn denervates the motor neurons at the connecting point to the muscle and without constant innervation, those motor neurons in turn die.

After surgery, one does not know if or how long it will take to regain anything.

So I started to research supplements to help with this and came across an encouraging read on a drug called Rilozole a.k.a. Rilutek.  It seems it may be beneficial for my purposes but also for neurogenesis in the body in general.  We always talk about brain neurogenesis/protection here but we may be neglecting to address the declining neuron health in our bodies as we age as well.  Find the paper here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3136727/

I'd like to know thoughts on this.  It's been six months since my surgery.  Would it still help if I took this?  Any idea where to get it?  Neuro won't prescribe as it's "off label".  What might be the unwanted or dangerous side effect?

Any other ideas of supplements that may help me?  Things like Uridine seem to help in the brain but would this translate into the nerves in the body as well?  It seems that I may have axon damage as well since my improvement since surgery has been minimal.

#2 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:02 AM

Liver damage appears to be the worst side effect. Monthly blood testing is recommended.

You might want to try IR LED therapy with an array like Elixa's.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

An animal study for a supplement that could lead to liver damage. Doesn't seem worth it.

#4 ikon2

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

Liver damage appears to be the worst side effect. Monthly blood testing is recommended.

You might want to try IR LED therapy with an array like Elixa's.

Krillin, great find here.  Any ideas where I could have this therapy done?  Seems a bit outside the normal physical therapist's wheelhouse...

#5 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:09 AM

An LED array from Elixa is $180. $190 if you want to hedge your bet and have both IR and red.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 ikon2

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

An LED array from Elixa is $180. $190 if you want to hedge your bet and have both IR and red.

On it.  Thank you very much!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain, neurogenesis, neuroprotection, axon, nerve, uridine, ngf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users