• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitors may not be so helpful for some forms of ADHD

dopamine reuptake inhibitors methylphenidate ritalin amphetamine dextro transporter adhd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 agwoodliffe

• 120 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

This is a speculative post, after finding that quite a few people tend to improve much more on amphetamine-based medicines than Methylphenidate.

I would assume that those who are non-responders to Methylphenidate have a deficit in the actual release of dopamine. From what I have read, these patients may lie more on the ADD/general lack of motivation side than the more hyperactive side.

This problem could be resulting from a mutation in the actual vesicular transport of dopamine, rather than the Dopamine Transporter itself. But for amphetamine or similar-based compounds to take effect, the dopamine transporter is required.

So I would assume in this subset of patients, a DRI like Methylphenidate would actually impair their remission.

Interestingly, nicotine, which is commonly used as self-medication for ADHD, has an up-regulating effect on DAT. But clearly this chemical has considerable adverse effects as well.

So my curiosity has been in compounds which have a normalising effect on DAT (that may enhance the efficacy of an amphetamine).

I have gathered that L-Arginine, and L-Carnosine have this capability.

It was also interesting to read that a combination of caffeine + Phenylethylamine (of which seems to be present in Cocoa in low amounts) to mimic certain responses to amphetamine, though I doubt this has clinical significance.

I agree with Psychiatrists in that amphetamines should be tried only after a trial with Methylphenidate has failed, as amphetamine can have much direr consequences on the nervous system if abused.

• like x 1

#2 agwoodliffe

• Topic Starter
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

In conjunction with the above post, I remember a news article 2-3 years ago, which found that in the more Hyperactive type patients with ADHD, the Dopamine Transporters were always operating backwards. In other words, it's like they were on Amphetamines all the time. Treatment with DAT blocker like Methylphenidate was able to stop this.

So it could be in the more Inattentive type that the Dopamine Transporters aren't really working at all.

I read that for this to work properly (ie. for amphetamine to have a proper effect) then it requires a thing called 'Protein Kinase C' or PKC.

Not surprisingly, a lot of substances that have documented to be useful in alleviating ADHD symptoms, including Caffeine and L-Carnitine, have a stimulatory effect on PKC.

Edited by agwoodliffe, 13 November 2014 - 01:22 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dopamine, reuptake, inhibitors, methylphenidate, ritalin, amphetamine, dextro, transporter, adhd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users