Photo

Likelihood of Hair Loss From Sporadic Beta-Blocker Use

propranolol beta-blockers hair loss

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Veil

• 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

I was wondering if anyone with any knowledge on Beta-Blockers or drug induced alopecia could tell me what the likelihood of hair loss/thinning from sporadic use (once every 4-6 months) of 80mg of Propranolol.  I was prescribed Propranolol in April for performance anxiety/GAD and used it every day for a week.  About a month later, I started to grow my hair out and noticed that whenever I would run my fingers through my hair, I was met with ~6 strands.  I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, and immediately jumped online to view other's experiences with the drug.  I found that beta-blocker induced hair loss can happen, but all that I came across was a result of extended use.  

With this being said, I haven't used the drug since April, but I have a presentation coming up.  I was considering cutting the dose in half just to be careful, but I was hoping someone could let me know if this is even necessary because I won't need to use it again for some time.

I should also mention that I was extremely stressed before I noticed the hair shedding over the summer and had been sick with 102 fever for about a week, so it may be attributable to that.  I also eat healthy and sleep 8 hours a night/don't smoke, drink, etc..

TLDR; can a single dose of 80mg Propranolol cause hair loss/shedding? Does anyone have any alternative tips to stop shaking in front of a crowd? 

Thank you!

Edited by Veil, 18 November 2014 - 08:49 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: propranolol, beta-blockers, hair loss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users