• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Can one stop a growing thyroid (one half already removed)

thyroid

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

Hi

My wife removed one half of her thyroid 6 years ago. She received no medications since her values was balancing back and forth between overactive/underactive, just around the shifting point.

Now she has experienced all kinds of strange things: constipation, pain in her head, bumps on her skin, swollen lips, general fatigue etc. She visited the doctor today, and took a biopsy. She will receive more information about this in one week. She took a test recently, that showed her values to be within the normal range.

The doctors says her remaining thyroid has grown, and it is possible that it will grow more, but not absolutely sure.

Is there any way to "stop"/halt this growth naturally? I would guess that a general stress reduction will help, since we suspect a high, continual degree of stress throughout the latter years has contributed to this problem, but can she "safely" take any special supplements or eat any particular food? I.e. do something that will halt the growth, and at the same time not "push" her values into an overactive/underactive thyroid?

#2 dankis

• 51 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hello John,

Thyroid won't grow without TSH or antibodies stimulating the same receptor. Could you please post blood labs of your wife? Reference ranges for thyroid labs are in my opinion joke.

Have a nice day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thanks dankis. I will try to get the from her doctor. Now she also has a swollen eye. New symptom as of today. Her general blood tests showed far to low vitamin d and zinc I remember. Otherwise within range. Which is quite strange, since she has gotten quite a few supplements from me on a regular basis. But as I read on I see that lack of vitamin d and zinc is typically for thyroid issues? So maybe I should have given here more. She is quite scared now, getting new symptoms as she moves along.

#4 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

Sorry. Not swollen eye, but her eye lid seems to want to go half way down, and there is a degree of twitching.

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

My wife removed one half of her thyroid 6 years ago. ..

The doctors says her remaining thyroid has grown, and it is possible that it will grow more, but not absolutely sure.

Is there any way to "stop"/halt this growth naturally?

Usually thyroid grow - goitre - when there is a iodine deficiency. Mine shrunk back to normal size by supplementing about 12mg/d of potassium iodide.

But maybe in the case of your wife the remaining thyroid is just making up for the missing part?

• like x 1

#6 dankis

• 51 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

Seems to me like typical hypothyroid symptoms. Advice for the future: always take a copy of blood test results with you in case you need to change a doctor. Endocrinology is very complex and many practitioners don't understand it.

Looking forward to see her blood results.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hi 

Here are here blood tests, the first taken 18sep, and the second one taken 31oct. The first column is the reference values.

Pls see attachment

Attached Files

Edited by JohnDoe999, 25 November 2014 - 01:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thyroid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users