• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Do you find that Ginkgo Biloba kinda makes you immune to stress?

ginkgo biloba stress glucocorticoid

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 agwoodliffe

• 120 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:06 AM

I've noticed that since I've started taking this, not only has my cognitive ability gone up, but I no longer get phased by situations that used to make me feel stressed. I get the occasional remark that I'm a little bit cold (which surprises me, given that I am naturally the polar opposite).

I suspect this may be not only due to Ginkgo's elevation in noradrenaline levels, but also it's selective blockage of Glucocorticoid action (it actually stops it from being produced in the first place).

It's actually kinda helped me in the business world. 

#2 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

Seems ginkgo may have some adaptogenic properties. Interesting about the noradrenaline and glucocorticoid action, I didn't know. I've found other herbs such as ashwagandha, gynostemma and cordyceps to noticeably "buffer" the feelings of stress, I may try out ginkgo soon. Which brand do you use?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

Seems ginkgo may have some adaptogenic properties. Interesting about the noradrenaline and glucocorticoid action, I didn't know. I've found other herbs such as ashwagandha, gynostemma and cordyceps to noticeably "buffer" the feelings of stress, I may try out ginkgo soon. Which brand do you use?

The brand used in the trials that is famous and is of highly regarded quality is EGB761. There can be surprising differences between brands I have found. Nature's way sells EGB761 in the US. In the UK, Timar kindly pointed out that Nature's Best sells a product that complies with the same quality standards.

#4 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

The main thing I have noticed is that I never, ever get colds. I don't even worry about avoiding people who have a cold anymore, because I never seem to get it.

#5 Jun Han

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

Well, Ginkgo Biloba is known to have some impacts on the effects of stress, though I cannot say that those properties necessarily translate to not feeling them. Just posting these out for reference on the effects of Ginkgo Biloba on the effects of stresses.

Anti-stress effects of Ginkgo biloba and Panax ginseng: a comparative study; J Pharmacol Sci. 2003 Dec;93(4):458-64.

Rai D, Bhatia G, Sen T, Palit G.
We explored the anti-stress potential of the Ginkgo biloba (G. biloba, 30 mg/kg, p.o.) and compared it with that of Panax ginseng (P. ginseng, 100 mg/kg, p.o.) against acute stress (AS) and chronic stress (CS) models in rats.

Immediately after AS and CS, the rats were sacrificed, and adrenal glands and stomach were dissected out for weight determination and scoring of the ulcer index (UI), respectively, as well as changes in biochemical parameters like plasma glucose (GL), triglycerides (TG), cholesterol (CL), creatine kinase (CK), and serum corticosterone (CORT) were also estimated. AS significantly increased UI, adrenal gland weight (AGW), GL, CK activity, and CORT, whereas G. biloba significantly reduced them.

→ source (external link)

Reduction of rise in blood pressure and cortisol release during stress by Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) in healthy volunteers; J Physiol Pharmacol. 2002 Sep;53(3):337-48.

Jezova D, Duncko R, Lassanova M, Kriska M, Moncek F.
Single treatment with EGb 761 (120 mg) reduced stress-induced rise in blood pressure without affecting the heart rate. [...]
Thus, this study provides evidence that EGb 761 has an inhibitory action on blood pressure and it may influence cortisol release in response to some stress stimuli.

→ source (external link)

"Stress-Alleviating" and "Vigilance-Enhancing" Actions of Ginkgo biloba Extract (EGb 761); DRUG DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH 62:1–25 (2004).

Francis V. DeFeudis and Katy Drieu

In humans, EGb 761 has vigilance-enhancing effects that support its clinical use in treating disorders involving stress-induced brain dysfunction and those non-cognitive symptoms of dementia currently classified as ‘‘behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia’’ (BPSD).

→ source (external link)

These effects of Ginkgo Biloba on cortisols and other effects of stresses may be via these two mechanisms;

Ginkgolide B in Ginkgo Biloba may slow down the secretion of corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH) by the hypothalamus that directs the production of cortisol by the adrenal gland, though take it lightly as it is an animal study with chronic administration of Ginkgo Biloba;

Effect of chronic administration of Ginkgo biloba extract or Ginkgolide on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in the rat; Life Sci. 1998;62(25):2329-40.
Marcilhac A, Dakine N, Bourhim N, Guillaume V, Grino M, Drieu K, Oliver C.
[...]Chronic i.p. injection of Ginkgolide B reduced basal corticosterone secretion without alteration in the subsequent CRH and AVP increase. However, the stimulation of CRH gene expression by insulin-induced hypoglycemia was attenuated by Ginkgolide B. These data confirm that the administration of EGb 761 and Ginkgolide B reduces corticosterone secretion. In addition, these substances act also at the hypothalamic level and are able to reduce CRH expression and secretion.[...]

→ source (external link)

Ginkgolide B in Ginkgo Biloba may also slow down the production of cortisol from cholesterol. I honestly do not get much about this study, though. Your theory about the inhibition of glucocorticoid production may be explained through this mechanism;

Use of ginkgolide B and a ginkgolide-activated response element to control gene transcription: example of the adrenocortical peripheral-type benzodiazepine receptor; Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2002 Sep;48(6):633-9.
Amri H, Drieu K, Papadopoulos V.

[...]These data indicate that EGb 761-induced inhibition of glucocorticoid production is due to specific transcriptional suppression of the adrenal PBR gene by GKB, and suggest that EGb 761 and GKB might serve as pharmacological tools to control excess glucocorticoid formation.

→ source (external link)

Edited by Jun Han, 21 November 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#6 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:34 AM

I don't support animal research.  Ugh!

When I took gingko, I didn't find any direct effect on stress and temperament.  I had higher levels of cognitive ability, more spacial awareness, more coordination and was able to to do more complex tasks.  Indirectly, that made me more confident, but that was it.  I'm a middle-aged female.  I took a number of liquid alcohol extracts.  For me the best is Gaia Organics.  I really didn't like Nature's Answer liquid extract, which I think is alcohol free.  Herb Pharm and other common alcohol extracts weren't as good as Gaia.     

#7 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

How long can you stay on gingko for and should it be taken with anyting else?

#8 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

The brand used in the trials that is famous and is of highly regarded quality is EGB761. There can be surprising differences between brands I have found. Nature's way sells EGB761 in the US. In the UK, Timar kindly pointed out that Nature's Best sells a product that complies with the same quality standards.

Link to this?  I haven't seen any EGB716 supplements for sale.

#9 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Link to this?  I haven't seen any EGB716 supplements for sale.

http://www.naturesbe...CFSkOwwodERgAoA

It's not EGB761.

#10 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

How long can you stay on gingko for and should it be taken with anyting else?

You can take it your whole life. It might interact with certain pharmaceuticals. So ask the doctor is you are on Xanax or something like that.

On it's own = perfectly safe.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Time for an update!!!

I have had precisely one cold in the two years since I started Ginkgo Biloba. It was a rotten cold but I got over it... and that's it. In that time in addition I took Red Reishi (lots) and Resveratrol (briefly, ran out of money I'm just a postgraduate student). And B vitamins. So yeah I'm convinced without a doubt that Ginkgo Biloba and maybe Reishi is good for the immune system.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ginkgo, biloba, stress, glucocorticoid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users