- - - - -

Mixing sleep aid supplements

sleep melatonin gaba 5htp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

It was hard to find an all in one sleep formula I liked so I bought 4 different bottles.

They are

3mg time release melatonin
500mg GABA
50mg 5HTP
and the last is a mixture of the herbs like hops, passion flower and valerian root with another 100mg GABA on top

I've taken it twice and feel good with it and sleep was heavier and better quality. Just wondering if there are reasons why I couldn't find all of these in 1.

I also take 1mg rasagiline (when I can remember), before I take again I was wondering what you think of how does that stack up?

#2 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

I wouldn't be taking 5HTP longterm for something like sleep apnea. Frankly, I wouldn't take it longterm for anything. It works, but serotonin manufactured under your brain (i.e. your stomach) created free circulating serotonin, which I understand to be damaging to organs (particularly the heart) over time.

THIS!!! 

Melatonin, longterm, may have similar side effect to a lesser degree. 

Mmmm, not that I knew of. You realize that melatonin is a product od serotonin and not the other way round?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Jun Han

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

I have not much idea about time-release version of melatonin, but melatonin supplementation is generally not about the dosage. Rather, it is to induce the secretion of more melatonin by your body. So, a tiny dosage is required to induce the secretion of melatonin and too much of it will not induce as much.

Effects of low oral doses of melatonin, given 2-4 hours before habitual bedtime, on sleep in normal young humans; Sleep. 1996 Jun;19(5):423-31.
Zhdanova IV, Wurtman RJ, Morabito C, Piotrovska VR, Lynch HJ.
Low oral doses of melatonin raise serum melatonin concentrations to those normally occurring nocturnally and facilitate polysomnographically assessed sleep onset when given at different time points throughout the day, without altering mood or performance on the morning following treatment. In the present study, 12 young healthy volunteers, free of sleep disturbances, received 0.3 or 1.0 mg of melatonin or placebo at 2100 hours, 2-4 hours prior to their habitual bedtime. Polysomnographic recording of overnight sleep began at 2200 hours and continued until 0700 hours the following morning, when subjects were awakened. Sleep onset latency and latency to stage 2 sleep were significantly decreased as a result of melatonin treatment. Neither dose of melatonin significantly altered sleep architecture. Administration of the lower dose of melatonin (0.3 mg) at 2100 hours elevated serum melatonin to levels within the normal nocturnal range (113 +/- 13.5 pg/ml) at the time the sleep test was initiated. Neither melatonin dose caused "hangover effects", as assessed by self-reports or by mood and performance tests administered on the morning following treatment. These observations provide additional evidence that nocturnal melatonin secretion has a sleep-promoting function. They also indicate that an increase in serum melatonin concentrations, within the normal physiologic range, does not significantly alter sleep architecture in subjects with normal sleep who receive the treatment several hours prior to their habitual bedtime.

→ source (external link)

Since I have no time to look through the study now, I read an interpretation of the study at ergo-log.com (http://www.ergo-log....ose-0.3-mg.html) and it provides comparative figures as below for easy comprehension of the results;

melatonindosage.gif This bar chart compares the dosages of intake of melatonin to their time to fall asleep.

Administration of 0.3mg of melatonin promotes the fastest time to fall asleep. I can only assume, since other higher dosages aren't tested, that it represented a U-curve that the optimal dosage of melatonin that promotes the fastest time is 0.3mg; too little or too much might disrupt this.

melatonindosage3.gifThis bar chart compares the dosages of intake to the serum concentration hours later.

Administration of 0.3mg of melatonin induces the greatest concentration of serum concentration hours later. But do take note that this chart is missing comparison with higher doses.

I'm not sure whether does this apply to time-release melatonin that you used, but I'm posting this merely for reference and comparison.

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 HAN5ON1

• Registrant
  • 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:00 AM

Just chiming in, Resteva by resultsRNA is exactly like the combo you described, in case you wanna check it out

www.resultsrna.com/resteva-sleep

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep, melatonin, gaba, 5htp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users