- - - - -

C60OO quality - colour of shipment ?

c60 quality control colour

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SIRT1

• 29 posts
Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:48 AM

I recently bought some C60OO and it's colour was brown.

I read in the Baati et. al. (2012) study that:

- C60 can aggregate in even the best solvents, turning the solution brown

- the oil used in the study was purple, suggesting little or no C60 aggregation products

- that C60 aggregates may be toxic, unlike the micro filtered solution in the study.

However:

- examination of the cell contents implied brown traces were evidence of C60 accumulation - implying there may be C60 aggregates in the cells.

What colour was the C60oo shipment you received?

Has anyone confirmed the product's composition - like with HPLC?

Do you think the brown C60oo is less safe?

Reference:

Baati, T., Bourasset, F., Gharbi, N., Njim, L., Abderrabba, M., Kerkeni, A., ... & Moussa, F. (2012). The prolongation of the lifespan of rats by repeated oral administration of [60] fullerene. Biomaterials, 33(19), 4936-4946.

Edited by SIRT1, 25 November 2014 - 08:08 AM.

• like x 1

#2 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

FWIW, my homemade batch has the typical deep purple colour inside the jar but amber/brown when dispensed in the spoon.

So a large quantity of C60-oo has a different colour than a small one, at least for me.

• Agree x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

C60 can aggregate in solvents, but olive oil isn't a solvent-- it's a reactant.  Once C60 has reacted with the fatty acids of the olive oil triglyceride, it's no longer able to aggregate.  As aribadabar noted, when you have a large quantity of c60oo, it shows the color better.  I would describe mine as maroon; sort of a purplish-red.   I've seen commercial c60oo that had a darker bluish-purple color.  I speculate that this is due to a higher C70 content, or maybe it has something to do with the oil they use.  The oil I usually use has a green color, and c60oo made from it looks brown when I'm looking at a small quantity.

• Agree x 2
  • Informative x 1

#4 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

The color tends to go from red to brown with age. I got the best purple/red color in almond oil, but even that one turned brown over a period of months. An exception was squalane, which showed no color at all and never changed in spite of dissolving a good deal of C60. Squalane probably didn't react at all, and from that I suspect that as the number of multiple adducts increases, each with its own color, the overall color is muddied. 

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#5 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

My batches have all been dark red. Only Baati has ever achieved a "purple" color. I asserted at the start that the "purple" is a language/translation issue.

#6 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

Maroon is indeed the best description of the colour I get when also using greenish EVOO.

This image was taken against very bright daylight as you can see in the top right corner (that's a window). In artificial lighting the colour seems darker.

#7 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:58 PM

My home brew  .8 mg/ml mix with early harvest Tunisian olive oil looks brownish maroon in the jar under ordinary light.  But if I take a small led flashlight and press it up against the back of the jar, it lights up red.

Howard

#8 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

Adding another datapoint:

• Ordered c60oo from www.carbon60OliveOil.com (4/6/2015)
  • Arrived approx. (4/10/2015)
  • Color upon arrival = purple (4/10/2015)
  • One month later color = light brown/brown (5/8/2015)

It may be that I am totally naive, but I decided to throw it out.

#9 fried egg

• 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:39 AM

I just made 1000ml of c60oo (hopefully) at ~.6mg/ml. The stuff I ordered from www.carbon60oliveoil.com always looked kind of brown to me.

I got the Ses 99.5% stuff, which was like grains of sand, though I was expecting a solid bar or something, given the way people talk about grinding it with a mortar/pestle.

How it looked the 6/15 after shaking it a little while - https://onedrive.liv...&ithint=folder,

How it looks 6/19 after shaking some more each day at random intervals - https://onedrive.liv...&ithint=folder,

How long do you think until this stuff is safe to eat? 

Edit: btw, I did grind with a stainless steel mortar/pestle. 

Edited by fried egg, 20 June 2015 - 04:37 AM.

#10 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

I use a running process to make mine.

I start with a ratio of .9mg/ml -- it doesn't all dissolve but it likely gets to .6 or .7.

If there is sediment that is visible, but the color is right, I pour off the oil into another container and see if any precipitate settles.  If not I use it and add more oil to the other vessel and shake until it dissolves.

I use a 1 liter olive oil container, and 2 mason jars.

200-400 ml at a time is what I make

I keep them in a dark cupboard.

They have sat for months and I have had no issues.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c60, quality control, colour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users