• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside Current News and Updates

niagen nad booster charles brenner david sinclair nicotinamide riboside nad nicotinamide ribo nad news leonard guarente

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
471 replies to this topic

#31 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

NIH Publishes Results of Preclinical Collaboration with ChromaDex Showing Potential Benefit of Nicotinamide Riboside

(I opened this press release in three different browsers and the formatting was a bit off, so please excuse the cut and past to fix the problem. I'm also put off by their lack of references to the actual study, I'll add a few supporting studies. I believe this was the original article published in cell. If someone could find the original PDF that would be great. The last link in the list below is a cached version)

Here's the original, complete, article from Cell Metabolism:

Attached File  Rescue Premature Aging in Cockayne Syndrome.pdf   1.38MB   26 downloads

• like x 3

#32 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:50 AM

Thanks trance

#33 saraho

• 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:13 AM

Article in Life Extension

http://www.lef.org/M...rldwide/Page-01

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#34 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:36 AM

With regard to Chinese sources:

There is no legitimate NR on Alibaba; all listed are ripoffs.  I've tested three already for people who have sent me samples.

My Chinese contact in the herbal medicine field confirms there is but one Chinese company that has  successfully synthesized it, and the purity is 85%.  I don't know what the rest of it is, perhaps unreacted substrates from the synthesis.  (Another source tells me the NR in Niagen is only 90% pure, so maybe the Chinese stuff isn't so bad, relatively speaking.)  If and when they improve the purity, we'll try testing it.

Edited by maxwatt, 13 December 2014 - 03:37 AM.
spelling

• Informative x 7
  • like x 3

#35 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

My Chinese contact in the herbal medicine field confirms there is but one Chinese company that has  successfully synthesized it, and the purity is 85%. 

Which company would that be?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#36 Iporuru

• 216 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

Part 2 of Vince Giuliano's write-up on NAD+: http://www.anti-agin...-interventions/

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#37 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

Part 2 of Vince Giuliano's write-up on NAD+: http://www.anti-agin...-interventions/

FYI: That post was by James Watson, with 'contributions and assistance by Vince Giuliano' .

• dislike x 1

#38 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

Amount of mitochondrial DNA predicts frailty and mortality December 16, 2014

Interesting study and another part of the overall puzzle confirmed. We've all read the data on the Effective treatment of mitochondrial myopathy by nicotinamide riboside, a vitamin B3. This study suggested its possible to offset this decline and ramp up "mitochondrial biogenesis."

Vastmandana I reposted the link but if it still doesn't work copy the title and an open search will bring it up.

Edited by Bryan_S, 17 December 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#39 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

Link prohibited bry

#40 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

Link prohibited bry

Works for me, try this.... http://medicalxpress...-mortality.html

And the other two....... http://onlinelibrary...m.201403943/pdf

http://en.wikipedia....rial_biogenesis

Edited by midas, 17 December 2014 - 09:06 PM.

• like x 1

#41 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

New research indicated that NR prevented noise-related hearing loss in mice. It was administered orally and the researches state that it's well-absorbed orally and gets into cells readily:

http://gladstoneinst...ed-hearing-loss

They also mention that one of the researches has a new synthesis for it. I'm not sure if they're referring to this synthesis, or if he has a newer, better one:

http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/jm701001c

All interesting news.

• like x 1

#42 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:06 AM

There is no legitimate NR on Alibaba; all listed are ripoffs.  I've tested three already for people who have sent me samples.

My Chinese contact in the herbal medicine field confirms there is but one Chinese company that has  successfully synthesized it, and the purity is 85%.  I don't know what the rest of it is, perhaps unreacted substrates from the synthesis.  (Another source tells me the NR in Niagen is only 90% pure, so maybe the Chinese stuff isn't so bad, relatively speaking.)  If and when they improve the purity, we'll try testing it.

I've tried 2 Niagen sources so far.  Live Cell Research seems to be the purest as delivered.  The label indicates that one O-sized cap contains 250 mg.  I dumped and weighed the contents of one cap and it came in at 550 mg.  They may start with 90% Niagen but the label indicates rice bran is used as a filler.  In any event, I calculate the net purity at around 45%.

HPN in comparison indicates one of its O-sized caps contains 125 mg.  I never emptied and weighed one of those but I'd guess their net purity must be around half LCR's.  The HPN label indicates they use Microcrystaline Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, and Silicon Dioxide as fillers.

Maybe 85% purity's not so bad if the other 15% is something benign. 

Howard

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#43 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

I've tried 2 Niagen sources so far.  Live Cell Research seems to be the purest as delivered.  The label indicates that one O-sized cap contains 250 mg.  I dumped and weighed the contents of one cap and it came in at 550 mg.  They may start with 90% Niagen but the label indicates rice bran is used as a filler.  In any event, I calculate the net purity at around 45%.

HPN in comparison indicates one of its O-sized caps contains 125 mg.  I never emptied and weighed one of those but I'd guess their net purity must be around half LCR's.  The HPN label indicates they use Microcrystaline Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, and Silicon Dioxide as fillers.

Maybe 85% purity's not so bad if the other 15% is something benign. 

Howard

I'm not sure how you work the purity out from that.

If the cap contains 250mg of NR its the purity of the NR that counts (how much of that 250mg that is pure NR), not the amount of the total weight of the 550mg capsule that is NR............................Or am I missing something here?

• Agree x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#44 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

I'm not sure how you work the purity out from that.

If the cap contains 250mg of NR its the purity of the NR that counts (how much of that 250mg that is pure NR), not the amount of the total weight of the 550mg capsule that is NR............................Or am I missing something here?

Here's my math:  active ingredient / net weight = net purity * 100% = 250/550 * 100 = 45.4545... assuming they increased the active NR ingredient amount to offset it's purported 90% purity. Otherwise the net purity might be lower.   Now if someone comes up with a source for 90% pure NR in bulk, that would obviously have 5% more net purity than an 85% product.   It's only of significance to me because I'm taking 4 of the 250 mg caps a day and it would be nice to cut that in half.  Actually, however, I normally pack OO-sized caps so I might cut it back to one cap a day.

Pending a good bulk source, I might order more of the 125 mg product.  I don't get any flushing with the dosage I'm taking but my wife reported a hot flash like effect taking one 250 mg cap a day that went away as soon as she stopped.  The lower dosage might be better for her.

Howard

Edited by hav, 20 December 2014 - 04:23 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#45 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:14 AM

NAD+ an emerging framework for life health and life extension Part 1

NAD+ an emerging framework for life health and life extension Part 2

Posted on 11. November 2014 by Vince Giuliano

By Vince Giuliano with inputs from by James P. Watson

Stumbled on this blog back in November. They just published Part 2 and Part 3 is coming out shortly.

Dr. Vince Giuliano has been mentioned on Longecity before on a few threads. Some of you may remember him from his appearance in the film To Age or Not to Age. If I remember correctly he is in his 80's and has taken a hard look at all the latest available research. He is perhaps a little further down the rabbit hole than any of us and has a few insights to share. His ideas are well worth reading.

https://www.linkedin...iano/1b/a09/aba

Edited by Bryan_S, 21 December 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#46 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:56 AM

Another link was published today A High-Fat Diet and NAD+ Rescue Premature Aging in Cockayne Syndrome

This one also popped up Csbm/m Mouse_cerebellum_Old_nicotinamide riboside

#47 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

Related, regarding a new study indicating that resveratrol affects PARP-1 rather than SIRT1.

http://www.medicalda...ongevity-315204

#48 timbur

• 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

Related, regarding a new study indicating that resveratrol affects PARP-1 rather than SIRT1.

If that is so, then is it possible that resveratrol supplementation, by increasing PARP-1, could have a detrimental affect?

From the previously-linked "Secret Life of NAD+ An Old Metabolyte.pdf", comes this quote:

The fact that PARP activities consume such a high amount of NAD raised the hypothesis that PARPs and sirtuins could compete for the same limiting intracellular NAD pool. Some reports suggest that this may actually be the case.

From this article http://www.cell.com/...74(14)00362-6: 

The mitochondrial abnormalities appear to be caused by decreased activation of the NAD+-SIRT1-PGC-1α axis triggered by hyperactivation of the DNA damage sensor PARP-1. This phenotype is rescued by PARP-1 inhibition or by supplementation with NAD+ precursors that also rescue the lifespan defect in xpa-1 nematodes.

• like x 1

#49 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:10 AM

If that is so, then is it possible that resveratrol supplementation, by increasing PARP-1, could have a detrimental affect?

From the previously-linked "Secret Life of NAD+ An Old Metabolyte.pdf", comes this quote:

The fact that PARP activities consume such a high amount of NAD raised the hypothesis that PARPs and sirtuins could compete for the same limiting intracellular NAD pool. Some reports suggest that this may actually be the case.

From this article http://www.cell.com/...74(14)00362-6: 

The mitochondrial abnormalities appear to be caused by decreased activation of the NAD+-SIRT1-PGC-1α axis triggered by hyperactivation of the DNA damage sensor PARP-1. This phenotype is rescued by PARP-1 inhibition or by supplementation with NAD+ precursors that also rescue the lifespan defect in xpa-1 nematodes.

As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone), PARP-1 is a cellular repair mechanism that relies on and uses large amounts of NAD.  I want my cells to repair themselves, so I'd rather supplement NR than take a PARP inhibitor to raise NR levels.

• Good Point x 1

#50 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

PARP-1 inhibition increases mitochondrial metabolism through SIRT1 activation.  PARP-1 has been implicated in multiple DNA repair pathways 

http://molpharm.aspe...80/6/1136.full  http://www.sciencedi...568786414002353

http://www.anti-agin...he-nad-world-2/

http://genesdev.cshl...19/17/1951.long

Someone will have to connect the dots for me. On one hand Higher NAD levels are necessary for repair but on the other hand doesn't Nicotinamide Riboside inhibit PARP-1?

#51 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:19 AM

"I want my cells to repair themselves, so I'd rather supplement NR than take a PARP inhibitor to raise NR levels." 

Of course I meant to write, "I'd rather supplement NR than take a PARP inhibitor to raise NAD levels."

Here's another, fuller (and fascinating) take on the resveratrol/PARP article:

http://www.eurekaler...i-sun121914.php

I'm not aware that NR inhibits PARP-1.  Maybe nicotinamide?

Edited by M-K, 30 December 2014 - 06:28 AM.

#52 Primal

• 95 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:33 AM

You have tested 3, there are more than 3 sources listed, you cant say anything about the other sources. Also, we've been waiting since last summer for the names of the 3 suppliers that you supposedly tested, so that we can test the other sources. What are you trying to accomplish, find a cheaper supplier before anyone else here so that you can start making money from it? If it's the case you should be straightforward about it and stop discouraging others from trying. If its not the case, you think you're doing yourself a favour by protecting suppliers selling nicotinamide as nicotinamide riboside?

More likely is that you never tested any sources of nicotinamide riboside. 

My Chinese contact in the herbal medicine field confirms there is but one Chinese company that has  successfully synthesized it, and the purity is 85%.  I don't know what the rest of it is, perhaps unreacted substrates from the synthesis.  (Another source tells me the NR in Niagen is only 90% pure, so maybe the Chinese stuff isn't so bad, relatively speaking.) 

I dont know if you're "Chinese contact in the herbal medicine field" sound credible to someone, but how would he know that? Has he tested all the sources? via HPLC? if so, why doesnt he know what the other 15% is? Most likely it would be nicotinamide, other B3-derivatives, riboside and other sugars, ie all harmless substances. Very unlikely that harmful substances would be present in such high quantity. You told us that story last summer as well, so if it was true by now you would have your hands on it. If they can produce nicotinamide riboside with 85% purity and at a price significantly cheaper than the chromadex products, this would be a very good opportunity. Many companies would have placed orders long ago. At this point nobody would care if the product contains 15% of nicotinamide, other B3- derivatives, etc. Just like niagen might contain 10% of those other compounds and nobody would care. When there will be several alternatives, we might become picky and ask for higher purity, but not now.

More likely is that you made up the story about a supplier with 85% purity, or some chinese herbal guy made it up for you. Same for the 90%. 

If and when they improve the purity, we'll try testing it.

yeah right buddy. You're clearly making up those stories, all that remains to be known is why you're doing it. Is it to sound important and well-connected, or to prevent other's attempt to source NR before you do? In any case we're seeing right through your bulls*** and it aint smelling good for you.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

• Unfriendly x 3
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#53 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

You have tested 3, there are more than 3 sources listed, you cant say anything about the other sources. Also, we've been waiting since last summer for the names of the 3 suppliers that you supposedly tested, so that we can test the other sources. What are you trying to accomplish, find a cheaper supplier before anyone else here so that you can start making money from it? [...]

You're clearly making up those stories, all that remains to be known is why you're doing it. Is it to sound important and well-connected, or to prevent other's attempt to source NR before you do? In any case we're seeing right through your bulls*** and it aint smelling good for you.

Well I'm glad that someone else has finally caught on to these posts from this guy.

I have challenged nearly every post that he has made on several threads on NR for the last year. And may I add that I have been lambasted over them on a couple of occasions. From suppliers and testing to his "friend" who is a "doctor" that had been using 7 grams per day of some mythical supply of NR for months... None of what he has said on this subject has rang true to me.....

Personally, I would not take anything that he has said at face value.....

One example is from post 405 on this page..... http://www.longecity...s-again/page-14

[Edit: trimmed redundant quoting -Michael]

Edited by Michael, 04 February 2015 - 07:46 PM.

• dislike x 8
  • Good Point x 3
  • unsure x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#54 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

Well I'm glad that someone else has finally caught on to these posts from this guy.

Caught on to this guy? Are you serious?

He has been a member going on 9 years and has active in supporting the common goals of many of us in the community. You may not agree with him, but questioning his character is baseless and, frankly, out of line.

• Agree x 7
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#55 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

More likely is that you made up the story about a supplier with 85% purity, or some chinese herbal guy made it up for you. Same for the 90%. 

yeah right buddy. You're clearly making up those stories, all that remains to be known is why you're doing it. Is it to sound important and well-connected, or to prevent other's attempt to source NR before you do? In any case we're seeing right through your bulls*** and it aint smelling good for you.

On what legitimate grounds are you accusing someone who has been an active and positive member of the community for nearly 9 years on? Not only that, someone who spends his personal time in assisting to maintain these forums as a moderator.

I know Max most certainly doesn't need me to defend him, but you too are out of line.

Can the two of you stop the character assassination and accusations and be a little more civil? I know you both have been hanging out in the community for only a year or so and are still relatively new, but it is still no excuse. Despite the fact that I don't always agree with Max, he has done nothing to put his character into question ....and he sure the hell has a lot longer pool of history in this community than either of you do.

• Agree x 6
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#56 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Caught on to this guy? Are you serious?

He has been a member going on 9 years and has active in supporting the common goals of many of us in the community. You may not agree with him, but questioning his character is baseless and, frankly, out of line.

I don't care how long he has been a member here, he does not back up any of the claims he has made on the subject of NR, he also contradicts himself on several occasions and does not back up what he says with any evidence, and that is a fact. Read his posts on the Sinclair thread from the start..

Also the posts made on this thread, he has been asked questions about those claims and does not answer.

Let him prove me wrong and I will not hesitate to apologize.

• dislike x 6
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#57 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

Let's keep the discussion on track, folks.    NR news and updates.....

• like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#58 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Also the posts made on this thread, he has been asked questions about those claims and does not answer.

Let him prove me wrong and I will not hesitate to apologize.

I don't care how long he has been a member here, he does not back up any of the claims he has made on the subject of NR, he also contradicts himself on several occasions and does not back up what he says with any evidence, and that is a fact. Read his posts on the Sinclair thread from the start..

In an online community, all you really have is history and reputation. I understand that you may not recognize that because you are relatively new here, however he has earned the benefit of doubt with me several times over as I am sure he has with others. Your attacks on his character really serve no purpose outside of taking this thread off topic.

• Agree x 3
  • Well Written x 2
  • Disagree x 1
  • dislike x 1

#59 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

he has earned the benefit of doubt with me several times

And how many times have you got to doubt someone before you actually realize what is going on?....Just sayin.

You don't really know much about most people on this or any other forum, other than what they tell you. Have you met the guy, do you REALLY know anything about him.

He just pops into NR threads and makes claims without any substantiation or evidence of what he is claiming.

The contradictions, the claims without any evidence and promises that never come to anything along with the unanswered questions, lead me to think you are wrong. I'll leave it at that.

• Ill informed x 5
  • Agree x 2

#60 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

Ok guys enough, let's not debate any vender or purity issues here. We created a board for that discussion. This board is primarily for Nicotinamide Riboside Current News and Updates but if it's related to NR or is related to NAD news I'll have no problem with it here. Over the holidays there has been a decline in publications related to Nicotinamide Riboside and we've had little else to talk about but that news drought is about to change.

Now I have no Idea the implications of the following article but it's the first news of the New-year mentioning NR. Let's keep them coming guys.

01/07/2015 | 08:39pm US/Eastern

Study Findings from GlaxoSmithKline Provide New Insights into Biochemistry and Biophysics (A pre-steady state and steady state kinetic analysis of the N-ribosyl hydrolase activity of hCD157)

By a News Reporter-Staff News Editor at Life Science Weekly -- Current study results on Life Science Research have been published. According to news originatingfrom Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, by NewsRx correspondents, research stated, "HCD157 catalyzes the hydrolysis of nicotinamide riboside (NR) and nicotinic acid riboside (NAR). The release of nicotinamide or nicotinic acid from NR or NAR was confirmed by spectrophotometric, HPLC and NMR analyses. hCD157 is inactivated by a mechanism-based inhibitor, 2'-deoxy-2'-fluoro-nicotin-amide arabinoside (fNR)."

Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research GlaxoSmithKlinefrom, "Modification of the enzyme during the catalytic cycle by NR, NAR, or fNR increased the intrinsic protein fluorescence by approximately 50%. Pre-steady state and steady state data were used to derive a minimal kinetic scheme for the hydrolysis of NR. After initial complex formation a reversible step (360 and 30 s(-1)) is followed by a slow irreversible step (0.1 s(-1)) that defined the rate limiting step, or k(cat). The calculated K-Mapp value for NR in the hydrolytic reaction is 6 nM. The values of the kinetic constants suggest that one biological function of cell-surface hCD157 is to bind and slowly hydrolyze NR, possibly converting it to a ligand-activated receptor. Differences in substrate preference between hCD157 and hCD38 were rationalized through a comparison of the crystal structures of the two proteins."

According to the news editors, the research concluded: "This comparison identified several residues in hCD157 (F108 and F173) that can potentially hinder the binding of dinucleotide substrates (NAD(+))."

For more information on this research see: A pre-steady state and steady state kinetic analysis of the N-ribosylhydrolase activity of hCD157.Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2014;564():156-163. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics can be contacted at: Elsevier Science Inc,360 Park Ave South, New York, NY 10010-1710, USA. (Elsevier - www.elsevier.com; Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics - www.elsevier.com/wps/product/cws_home/622787)

The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from F. Preugschat, GlaxoSmithKline, Res Triangle Pk, NC 27709, United States. Additional authors for this research include L.H. Carter, E.E. Boros, D.J.T. Porter, E.L. Stewart and L.M. Shewchuk (see also Life Science Research).
Keywords for this news article include: Hydrolases, United States, North Carolina, Enzymes and Coenzymes, Life Science Research, Research Triangle Park, North and Central America

Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2015, NewsRx LLC
© 2015 NewsRx LLC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niagen, nad booster, charles brenner, david sinclair, nicotinamide, riboside, nad, nicotinamide ribo, nad news, leonard guarente

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users