- - - - -

I'm afraid Adderall destroyed my brain

adderall

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Kewell357

• 40 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have been on Adderall for almost 2 years now.

I find that on Adderall, I am very scatter brained, much more so than before I began taking it. I jump from one topic to another in conversations, and people have began to describe me as being very 'random'. I can't finish a sequence properly if I tried really hard at memorizing it over and over, and I was really good at things like this. My grades have also began to drop spectacularly. I have tried to go to a dose of 30mg/day but it's still the same.

Can anyone allay my fear by saying that it's probably just tolerance? and that this is not the neurotoxicity of the drug manifesting itself? I am in my final year in medical school and this is beginning to worry me alot.

Edited by Kewell357, 27 November 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#2 5IMON

• 49 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

You've been taking it too long and as a result downregulated (desensitised) dopamine receptors.  Its a bit like when you have a drug addict who requires more to get the same desired effect.

I would recomend a 2 month ( at least 1 month) break , change to a methiphindate if you must or a complete elimination. You should return back to normal then reintroduce slowly.

Cerebrolysin should accelerate upregulation

READ MY ADHD THREAD FOR MORE INFO

I also believe the side effects  is due to neurotoxicity but is reversable

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kewell357

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

You've been taking it too long and as a result downregulated (desensitised) dopamine receptors.  Its a bit like when you have a drug addict who requires more to get the same desired effect.

I would recomend a 2 month ( at least 1 month) break , change to a methiphindate if you must or a complete elimination. You should return back to normal then reintroduce slowly.

Cerebrolysin should accelerate upregulation

READ MY ADHD THREAD FOR MORE INFO

I also believe the side effects  is due to neurotoxicity but is reversable

Wouldn't methylphenidate cause cross tolerance?

#4 5IMON

• 49 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

Yes but what else are you going to do? You are at med school at it'll take a week/10 days for you brain to reset if you eliminate all your meds.

You have two  alternatives

Total elimination (best option but not practical)

Mephyphendidate at a low dose ( most practical but may not be beneficial)

Unless of course you are on a break from uni?

By the way way their is a study some where (dont ask me to find it)  that states that long term use of methyphendidate changes personality in rats.

#5 Kewell357

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

Yes but what else are you going to do? You are at med school at it'll take a week/10 days for you brain to reset if you eliminate all your meds.

You have two  alternatives

Total elimination (best option but not practical)

Mephyphendidate at a low dose ( most practical but may not be beneficial)

Unless of course you are on a break from uni?

By the way way their is a study some where (dont ask me to find it)  that states that long term use of methyphendidate changes personality in rats.

You are right (finally someone understands how medical school is).

I think I can ask for time off as one week isn't that long.

I was thinking maybe I need to stop this for months to reset my brain.

#6 5IMON

• 49 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

Try Guanfacine or Atomoxetine as they stimulate different neural networks but get the same/ similiar symptomatic relief. You should know this you're at med school!  :-D

• Agree x 1

#7 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

Solution: switch to law school.
  • Cheerful x 1

#8 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

Solution: switch to law school.

rofl. Reminds me somewhat on: better call saul

Afaik, You could also try Depernyl( irreversible mao-b inhibition), 9-me-BC, passionflower extract(mao-a) or Rhodiola rosea extract (mao a+b+compt) for keeping Dopamine levels up.

http://www.longecity...nergic-neurons/

9-me-BC should supposedly even aid in the body´s repair-process to some extend.

Depernyl could cause sleep disturbances and other negative effects that are related to irreversible mao-b inhibition i.e. for 2 weeks.

I wouldnt try this when You have a busy week. On the other hand, the natural ones could be expensive.

Edited by Flex, 28 November 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#9 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

I'd suggest a trial of Fasoracetam myself! = ) It's being trialled as an ADHD-medication, and the results should be coming in march 2015. I've e-mailed Dr Hakonarson who's doing the trial, and he seems to have faith in the chemical. Hard to tell before the trial is over tho', admittedly.

It's a drug that works primarily as a glutamate-agonist - but, some of the glutamate-receptors it agonises, actually LOWER NMDA-receptor activity. ( strange, I know.)

It also has both cholinergic and gaba-ergic effects - the gaba-ergic ones being primarily anti-depressive.

There's been a few trials here on the forums, and the general results at least appear to be that it's an excellent study-aid.

I think it might be the best option, since you have to perform in  a study-focused environment.

#10 Kewell357

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

I'd suggest a trial of Fasoracetam myself! = ) It's being trialled as an ADHD-medication, and the results should be coming in march 2015. I've e-mailed Dr Hakonarson who's doing the trial, and he seems to have faith in the chemical. Hard to tell before the trial is over tho', admittedly.

It's a drug that works primarily as a glutamate-agonist - but, some of the glutamate-receptors it agonises, actually LOWER NMDA-receptor activity. ( strange, I know.)

It also has both cholinergic and gaba-ergic effects - the gaba-ergic ones being primarily anti-depressive.

There's been a few trials here on the forums, and the general results at least appear to be that it's an excellent study-aid.

I think it might be the best option, since you have to perform in  a study-focused environment.

Can you point me in the right direction?

I would like to try it.

#11 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

Can you point me in the right direction?

I would like to try it.

Sure - check out these links:

The Longecity Fasoracetam -thread

http://www.longecity...55-fasoracetam/

Online shop that sells it

http://teamtlr.com/n...asoracetam.html

It's actually cheaper than Concerta and some other currently employed medicines. Must be quite cheap to produce, once the synthesis-work is complete.

#12 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

I don't think you destroyed your brain. Switch to Racetams, get religious about meditation, you'll find your focus and tranqulity

#13 Kewell357

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

It's been about a week I've been off of it.

I feel much better and my focus is actually better off of Adderall. I think I am gaining some semblance to what I was before so I definitely think my brain was not damaged....maybe it was sleep deprivation.

I slept through basically my first 2 days without it.

Thanks all.

I don't think you destroyed your brain. Switch to Racetams, get religious about meditation, you'll find your focus and tranqulity

Which racetam would you suggest?

Is Fasoracetam a suitable replacement? 

#14 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

It's been about a week I've been off of it.

I feel much better and my focus is actually better off of Adderall. I think I am gaining some semblance to what I was before so I definitely think my brain was not damaged....maybe it was sleep deprivation.

I slept through basically my first 2 days without it.

Thanks all.

I think it's worth a try.

It's not going to be quite the same thing tho', mate - so be aware of that, if you do try replacing it.

Fasoracetam is certainly the prime racetam to try out, but some have reported benefficial effects from other racetams, but some have reported debilitating effects as well. ( GetOutofBox on these boards for instance, reported increased ADD-problems while on Oxiracetam)

#15 5IMON

• 49 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

You feel better because your not agonising your dopamine receptors .

Imagine them like a muscle in constant use (through the administration of Adderall) , you need to give it time to recover.

PM if you need some more guidance

#16 Kewell357

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:24 AM

You feel better because your not agonising your dopamine receptors .

Imagine them like a muscle in constant use (through the administration of Adderall) , you need to give it time to recover.

PM if you need some more guidance

I PMed you.

Thanks alot.

I feel much better now and people at school have noticed that I returned back to normal. My focus is back, am less irritable and I am doing better.

Apparently Adderall made it look like I was going through a crisis.

#17 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

I would suggest small periodic breaks from Adderall, and definitely combine it with a mild anti-depressive, which you use while you take Adderall, but break off them when you don't.

Like, say you have a big test coming up - well then you obviously use adderall while studying ( hard), but then during the evenings, when you get home, you then take your anti-depressant.

Alas, one week later, when the test is done, you ween off BOTH - no stimulants, no AD's. Thereby you won't tax your receptors as much, by adding these breaks.

I know you've already got some PM-tips, but I figured I'd put this out here, for others to see.

#18 5IMON

• 49 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

Leave your AD alone , its not an agonist so there is no downregulating your receptors. You risk becomes depressed and consequently demotivated if you pull that.

#19 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

I haven't even heard of Fasoracetam... Start with Piracetam, it's the smart drug most proven NOT to destroy your brain.

• Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#20 Kewell357

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

Well what can I say?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25394786

#21 SuperStack

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

I haven't even heard of Fasoracetam... Start with Piracetam, it's the smart drug most proven NOT to destroy your brain.

Hey, wasn't it you who pointed out Isochroma to me when I posted the thread about my "Bond villain" stack? Someone also stated that piracetam could be linked to aldosterone deficiency. That could be a downside. I'm not sure about it though. The thread had credible evidence to support it. If it was you, I believe you were hinting at the fact piracetam can cause harm. Although my stack is a little off the charts.

Edited by SuperStack, 17 December 2014 - 07:18 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:48 AM

I think I was the one who nicknamed it a Bond Villain Stack LOL - I will put it on my list of Stacks to try... I'm a huge fan of Piracetam, been on it and off it a bunch of times with nothing but positive results to report. I don't know much about Isochroma...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adderall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users