- - - - -

I'm taking Oxytocin. It's good stuff.

oxytocin

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:21 PM

I'm involved in a research study about using intra-nasal oxytocin spray for people with ASD. So far I've noticed a tremendous difference in my mood. I feel much more calm, more happy and I feel almost fearless. 

It's a double blind study but I know for sure I'm taking it because my moms a nurse and she broke open a bottle of the stuff at her hospital and then compared the smell to my stuff and it smells the same so it must be it.

The only benefit for socializing I can take note of is that words flow out of my mouth noticeably easier. 

Edited by The Immortalist, 27 November 2014 - 11:23 PM.

• like x 3
  • Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#2 Meggo

• 93 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:15 AM

How long does the effect last after dosing?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

Great. I have ordered some myself, as I probably have high-functioning autism. Socializing has always been very hard, so I'm hoping oxytocin and phenibut could improve this. 

#4 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

Great. I have ordered some myself, as I probably have high-functioning autism. Socializing has always been very hard, so I'm hoping oxytocin and phenibut could improve this. 

How do you know if the stuff your ordering is the real thing? Also how are you going to take it? As far as I know injecting it, inhaling it, and spraying it up your nose are the only ways it can be delivered. 

#5 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:04 PM

The researchers told me to take it 2 times a day, 6 hours between each dose. For me the effect seems to last within that period with no noticeable loss of effectiveness. 

Edited by The Immortalist, 28 November 2014 - 01:05 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#6 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

where do you get it?

#7 megatron

• 608 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

How do you know if the stuff your ordering is the real thing? Also how are you going to take it? As far as I know injecting it, inhaling it, and spraying it up your nose are the only ways it can be delivered. 

This, oxytocin factor nasal spray: https://oxytocinfactor.co/

#8 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:34 AM

The researchers told me to take it 2 times a day, 6 hours between each dose. For me the effect seems to last within that period with no noticeable loss of effectiveness. 

This is very interesting that it could last so long. Last I checked, the commercially available oxytocin nasal sprays only lasted for half an hour or so. I wonder if this is extended release, somehow.

#9 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:36 AM

This, oxytocin factor nasal spray: https://oxytocinfactor.co/

This is very interesting that it could last so long. Last I checked, the commercially available oxytocin nasal sprays only lasted for half an hour or so. I wonder if this is extended release, somehow.

The one I'm taking is 40IU/ml. How does that compare?

Edited by The Immortalist, 29 November 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#10 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

That's nuts! I didn't know you could supplement Oxytocin... Did you guys try the OxytocinFactor.com product? Their website screams scammy supplement product to me...

Would it be unethical to give this to a girl you where on a date with? LOL

I usually use Phenibut as my social smart drug, but I love to try new things

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#11 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

That's nuts! I didn't know you could supplement Oxytocin... Did you guys try the OxytocinFactor.com product? Their website screams scammy supplement product to me...

Would it be unethical to give this to a girl you where on a date with? LOL

I usually use Phenibut as my social smart drug, but I love to try new things

The nasal spray works, but not as well as injection. IMO, messing with peptides like oxytocin, over time, may wear out natural production/receptors .

#12 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

Sounds like a bad idea... I'd rather get a massage

• dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#13 Virtual Reality

• 118 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:18 PM

I have tried the oxytocin from oxytocinfactor. I did not noticed any positive benefits. I took it for a short period though. As the amount what was in the bottle was not very much. They do have awesome customer support though, back in the day when I ordered and you werent satisfied with the product, you could get your money back which I did.

It doesnt mean that the oxytocin from oxytocinfactor wont work for you, I did testing for a +- a week. So someone else might have succes with it. Which in that case I might order it again.

@The Immortalist ,  i remembered oxytocin has a very short half ife and its unable to cross the blood brain barrier. Did you perhaps get an different analogue of oxytocin?

Whats the verdict from the longecity users, on such a short half life, and being unable to pass the BBB . I dont see how oxytocinfactor.com claims to bypass these issues ?

#14 Arjuna

• 130 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:43 PM

Isn't oxytocin a super fragile molecule that you'd have to refrigerate?  If that sketchy website even provides the real thing then good luck with it surviving shipment.

#15 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:57 AM

I see what your saying but what if some people can't produce oxytocin or don't produce enough? 

#16 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

I have tried the oxytocin from oxytocinfactor. I did not noticed any positive benefits. I took it for a short period though. As the amount what was in the bottle was not very much. They do have awesome customer support though, back in the day when I ordered and you werent satisfied with the product, you could get your money back which I did.

It doesnt mean that the oxytocin from oxytocinfactor wont work for you, I did testing for a +- a week. So someone else might have succes with it. Which in that case I might order it again.

@The Immortalist ,  i remembered oxytocin has a very short half ife and its unable to cross the blood brain barrier. Did you perhaps get an different analogue of oxytocin?

Whats the verdict from the longecity users, on such a short half life, and being unable to pass the BBB . I dont see how oxytocinfactor.com claims to bypass these issues ?

Because it's a nasal spray, it's still garbage compared to injections..not saying it doesn't do anything - but remarkably less compared to injections.

I see what your saying but what if some people can't produce oxytocin or don't produce enough? 

That would be failing to release it in response to stimuli, not being unable to produce it. 

Low oxytocin is usually caused by low dopamine or low histamine....or low testosterone.

• Informative x 1

#17 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

I asked one of the researchers about the half life issue and they say that a theory they have is that the oxytocin may act as a catalyst of sorts for other reactions that impact the function of the brain long after the drug is gone. 

#18 iwriter

• 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

Dear Immortalist...

I am a PhD and was wondering about using Oxytocin with some of my clients. I do appreciate you sharing your experiences with this hormone. Can you tell me where I can reach the researchers on Oxytocin? I have a client who is trying it out and not getting results from the nasal type. SHe is also taking numerous other drugs so I am wondering if the other drugs might be interfering with the Oxytocin? Any how my email is g3landrith@hotmail.com ... I would love to get some information from a fellow psychologist on this amazing hormone. Thanks for your time..

• dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#19 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:05 AM

Got into a double blind for oxytocin. I should start in a month. If I get the placebo they will put me on actual oxytocin for 4 months following the trial. I'll post experience.

#20 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

Took first dose like 3 hours ago. 50% chance of being on oxytocin, 50% placebo. It smells distinct and chemical but I bet both the placebo and oxytocin have the same smell.

I was in rather good spirit after taking it but I'll just attribute it to a bit of excitement. Made some girls smile so good day so far. I'll be on it for 4 months so I might get a better sense of the effects in some more time. Also i'll be told whether its placebo or not after 4 months. If it is placebo I will get an opportunity to trial the real thing for 4 months. I'll update every couple weeks.

#21 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:06 AM

you go boy, dont forget to update

#22 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

It works but not in the way you think it does, busy now will elaborate later.

#23 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:05 PM

I just went to my first appointment since starting 2 weeks ago.

Some additional considerations that probably will affect my experience on the drug: 
Things in my life were generally getting better from a social, work, and happiness perspective regardless of taking a new drug. So things probably would improve for me regardless of me taking oxytocin or placebo.

I always said I wouldn't fall into the "placebo effect" but with this drug it is entirely possible that I have. There are zero side effects which makes its risk/reward factor of taking it already really good. I would probably want to continue taking it even if it were just water because it seems really natural. 

Umm what do I think has changed in the past 2 weeks:

I think one on one conversation is easier, more enjoyable, and I feel more comfortable

Group social situations are pretty much the same as usual, perhaps I am more comfortable about being awful in these situations though. The lack of effect in group situations may be do to bad anxiety/habits which the drug hasn't really removed but i could improve it in a longer term though.

Eye contact??? I don't really know I can't say I notice a change

I have been trying harder to start small talk, still terrible but trying. I have been small talking more than usual AKA making some stupid comments to random people (especially to women, I just can't make myself give a shit small talking to men)... I doubt that has anything to do with oxytocin just effort in combination with the belief that oxytocin should help me improve at small talk.

• Informative x 1

#24 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:19 AM

There are always side effects.  Even with placebo, adverse effects of placebo are reported in studies all time.  

But maybe if we keep telling each other certain drugs don't have any side effects, maybe we can fake ourselves into not having any obvious symptoms of side effects.

#25 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

all studies done use methyline blue as placebo. and methyline blue is highly active so no wonder placebo gives side effects and other results

• Ill informed x 1

#26 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

I guess I should say "there are no serious side effects". I don't notice any side effects at all but I am taking many drugs, supplements. my mood is unstable and I have frequent problems with sleep so it can get confusing actually pinpointing side effects. 

Can anyone find out what was the placebo in other "oxytocin and autism" studies? Studies are too much walls of text to actually decipher for me, and I can't seem to find what the placebo is.

#27 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

all studies done use methyline blue as placebo. and methyline blue is highly active so no wonder placebo gives side effects and other results

O rly?

In the placebo-controlled studies done on methylene blue, what did they use for placebo?

And one of the side effects is change in urine color, so it's not really used as placebo that much anymore.

Edited by Duchykins, 30 July 2015 - 06:38 PM.

#28 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

I guess I should say "there are no serious side effects". I don't notice any side effects at all but I am taking many drugs, supplements. my mood is unstable and I have frequent problems with sleep so it can get confusing actually pinpointing side effects. 

Can anyone find out what was the placebo in other "oxytocin and autism" studies? Studies are too much walls of text to actually decipher for me, and I can't seem to find what the placebo is.

That's a good question.

I found this one, and it makes sense.  It's cheap and easy.  They probably used the same thing in all the oxytocin spray studies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3539865/

Medications

Oxytocin (Syntocinon; NOVARTIS) and placebo were administered in the form of intranasal spray. Participants received twice-daily 6 weeks of either 24 IU (six puffs) oxytocin or placebo, in the morning and early afternoon. Participants were instructed to sit upright, and take one puff every 30 seconds, alternating nostrils. All participants took their first dose in front of the study clinician to assure correct administration and tolerability. Placebo was normal saline in identical bottles and labels. Participants were asked to comment on smell and taste after the first dose. Only one commented on possible smell and he was randomized to the placebo. A computer-generated randomization table was created by the research pharmacist and used to randomize participants.

Edited by Duchykins, 30 July 2015 - 06:46 PM.

• Informative x 1

#29 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:02 AM

O rly?

In the placebo-controlled studies done on methylene blue, what did they use for placebo?

And one of the side effects is change in urine color, so it's not really used as placebo that much anymore.

thats exactly why its used as placebo, because of change in urine color. its how they create the illusion that perhaps the person is definitely not on the placebo. and im not sure how many exact studies have been done on humans with methyline blue, but obviously they had to use some other urine colorant as placebo to again confuse the placebo takers.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

O rly?

thats exactly why its used as placebo, because of change in urine color. its how they create the illusion that perhaps the person is definitely not on the placebo. and im not sure how many exact studies have been done on humans with methyline blue, but obviously they had to use some other urine colorant as placebo to again confuse the placebo takers.

I already know the reasoning behind its use as placebo.  You keep spelling it wrong, by the way.

That blue color is exactly why it has limited use as placebo.  Note that methylene blue is differentiated from traditional placebo here. 

https://clinicaltria...udy/NCT00214877

This is a double blind cross-over study. There are two dose ranges in this study. A cross over design means that some patients will start at one dose range and others with another. About half way through the study, patients will then be switched over to the other dose range. Patients partially stabilized on lamotrigine will be randomized to either subtherapeutic (16mg) or therapeutic (200mg) dose of methylene blue. This design is necessary because methylene blue stains urine and thus it is not possible to use a traditional placebo. Double-blind means that neither the doctor nor the patient will know which strength of study drug the patient will be on at what point in the study. The study will be conducted in three centres, each recruiting 20 subjects over a two-year period. The duration of the study is 6 months.

I believe I asked you a question that you declined to answer.  Perhaps you need a list of other substances that have been used as placebo, which of course widely vary depending on what the study's focus is.  They can get pretty inventive in a pinch.  Here's a few:

olive oil

corn oil

antibiotics (microdose)

saline

polysaccharides (starches, cellulose)

monosaccharides (glucose)

disaccharides (lactose)

vitamins

homeopathic crap  (yup)

And my personal favorite:

sham surgery

Edited by Duchykins, 31 July 2015 - 08:48 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oxytocin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users