grape seed extrac gse adulteration contamination standardization

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:19 AM

Summary from nutraingredients.com:

Study finds widespread adulteration of grape seed extract

... the paper looked at 21 commercially available grape seed extract (GSE) supplements [purchased from a variety of outlets, including online]. GSE is a complex mix of proanthocyanidin monomers and oligomers and other chemicals, the authors noted...

Overall, the quality of commercially available GSE products was low. “Very few of the commercial GSE samples contained an overall content of PACs [proanthocyanidins] and catechins at a level comparable to authentic GSE, which raises a serious concern,” they wrote.

And adulteration was rampant. “Overall six of the commercial samples could be considered seriously adulterated, perhaps counterfeit, while another five samples contained considerably less PACs and catechins than the remaining commercial samples,” they wrote.

The six worst samples appeared to consist almost entirely of peanut skin extract. The adulteration issue notwithstanding, this could be a serious concern as peanuts are a very dangerous potential allergen, the authors wrote...

Abstract:

Chemical investigation of commercial grape seed derived products to assess quality and detect adulteration

Highlights
• 21 commercial grape seed extract containing products were analyzed using LC–MS.
• 15 of the 21 were quality challenged, including six samples which were adulterated with high levels of peanut skin extract.
• Non-chromatographic assays now often employed by industry were not able to differentiate adulterated GSE.
• A simple TLC method was developed to quickly detect adulteration of grape seed extract.

Abstract

Fundamental concerns in quality control arise due to increasing use of grape seed extract (GSE) and the complex chemical composition of GSE. Proanthocyanidin monomers and oligomers are the major bioactive compounds in GSE. Given no standardized criteria for quality, large variation exists in the composition of commercial GSE supplements. Using HPLC/UV/MS, 21 commercial GSE containing products were purchased and chemically profiled, major compounds quantitated, and compared against authenticated grape seed extract, peanut skin extract, and pine bark extract. The antioxidant capacity and total polyphenol content for each sample was also determined and compared using standard techniques. Nine products were adulterated, found to contain peanut skin extract. A wide degree of variability in chemical composition was detected in commercial products, demonstrating the need for development of quality control standards for GSE. A TLC method was developed to allow for rapid and inexpensive detection of adulteration in GSE by peanut skin.

Edited by blood, 02 December 2014 - 06:20 AM.

• Informative x 5

#2 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

Great finding! Thank you for sharing. Could be nice to have access to the full text.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Blankspace

• 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Great finding! Thank you for sharing. Could be nice to have access to the full text.

It's currently available on sci-hub here.

• like x 4

#4 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:08 AM

Thank you! I wonder if there is a mean to have disclosed the brands which were analyzed. Beside the active proanthocyanidins content, the adulteration with peanut-skin possible allergen is a major concern.

Edited by albedo, 03 December 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#5 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thank you! I wonder if there is a mean to have disclosed the brands which were analyzed. Beside the active proanthocyanidins content, the adulteration with peanut-skin possible allergen is a major concern.

Yes, without disclosed brands this is about as useful as.. well, just not: it effectually amounts to FUD for all the legitimate sellers and offers no way for consumers to choose better.

• Agree x 1

#6 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

With my last purchase from swanson I got some grape seed extract.  I wonder if theirs was on the list.

#7 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

Maybe the labeled content of GPE per cap (in mg/g) in the table 1 from the paper (attached) might provide an hint. I do not know about Swanson which I consider a good brand.

Attached Files

#8 blood

• Topic Starter
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

With my last purchase from swanson I got some grape seed extract. I wonder if theirs was on the list.

These are some GSE manufacturers that I trust:

1) Polyphenolics' - Californian company, manufactures the "Mega-natural" line of grape seed extracts. They standardise their grape extracts according to specific polyphenol profiles. Meganatural Gold is a general purpose GSE. Meganatural BP is marketed as being useful for people with hypertension (research finds a BP lowering effect/ benefit).

MegaNatural®-BP is made in California from a special seed blend primarily from varietal white wine grapes. The seeds are extracted with hot water, the extract is purified, concentrated and spray dried, loading natural grape phenolics into the extract, and that extract powder is used as an ingredient for dietary supplements, functional foods, and healthy beverages.

MegaNatural®-BP is a patented grape seed extract that has been evaluated in human clinical studies at the UC Davis Department of Internal Medicine. Studies evaluated subjects with blood pressure levels in the normal to prehypertensive ranges. One clinical, involving patients with Metabolic Syndrome, showed incidental blood pressure reductions, averaging 12 mmHg for systolic and 8 mmHg for diastolic pressures. In another study, participants with prehypertension took 300 mg of MegaNatural®-BP once a day for two months, and blood pressure monitoring averaged in systolic readings 8 mmHg lower and diastolic pressure lower by 5 mmHg. These studies indicate that MegaNatural®-BP may offer a significant benefit for people with technically healthy blood pressure that typically ranges on the upper end of normal, a condition known as “prehypertension.”

2) Indena - Italian company which manufactures very high quality herbal extracts. They have a large range of standardised grape seed extracts including "Leucoselect" (a general purpose grape seed extract) and "Leucoselect Phytosome" (grape seed polyphenols complexed with soy lipids for improved bioavailability). They have a new grape seed extract product, Enovita, which will be marketed to people with hypertension (there is some research showing a blood pressure lowering benefit). I can't find anyone selling an Enovita product in English speaking markets, yet. Indena GSE ingredient range.

3) Naturex - French company which manufactures very high quality herbal extracts. Manufacturers of Powergrape, a standardised grape seed extract:

Powergrape® is obtained from the grapes of Bordeaux vines, guaranteeing a high quality raw material.

.. Powergrape® is obtained by a traditional extraction process aimed at preserving the intrinsic qualities of the plant, in accordance with the recommendations of the French food safety agency (AFSSA).

Powergrape® has a unique composition, which guarantees its efficacy. To ensure that the quality of the extract remains constant, the composition of Powergrape® is guaranteed through analysis of the active components:

- Total polyphenols (> 90%),
- Total flavanols (> 50%)
• including flavanol monomers (> 12%).

You'll notice that Swanson do use ingredients from the above manufacturers in many of their GSE products:

- example of a Polyphenolics/ Meganatural Gold GSE product: Link
- example of a Polyphenolics/ Meganatural BP product: link
- example of a Naturex/ Powergrape product: Link
- example of an Indena/ Leucoselect Phyotsome product: Link

Edited by blood, 20 December 2014 - 11:43 AM.

• WellResearched x 2

#9 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

THe type I got just says grapeseed extract without a specific source.

#10 blood

• Topic Starter
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

Can you link to the product?

#11 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

Any comment on the LEF formulation I am taking?

http://www.lef.org/V...l-Pterostilbene

They have 100mg of proprietary blend including both:

Leucoselect®3 grape seed extract [std. for 95% proanthocyanidins]

Masquelier’s®2 Original OPCs1 [single and condensed (2-5) units of flavanols & polyphenols from grape seeds]

Where:

2- MASQUELIER’s® is a registered trademark of International Nutrition Company BV (INC), Loosdrecht, The Netherlands.
3- Leucoselect® is a registered trademark of Indena S.p.A.

In general I trust LEF sources.

#12 blood

• Topic Starter
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

Any comment on the LEF formulation I am taking?

Looks OK. They're using a standardised extract made by Indena ('leucoselect') and an extract made by International Nutrition Company (INC), who appear to have a long trading history & rigorous quality control processes (and even a commercial arrangement with Masquelier himself, prior to his death):

... all MASQUELIER’s® ingredients undergo Complex Phytonutrient Authentication (CPA). This is one of the world’s most accurate quality control methods, providing you with a... guarantee of consistent composition and proven health benefits...

By partnering with I.N.C. to create MASQUELIER’s® Original OPCs and providing regular guidance concerning its composition and manufacture over a period of nearly 30 years, Professor Masquelier’s legacy continues today in its most potent and authentic form...

Edited by blood, 21 December 2014 - 12:11 PM.

• like x 1

#13 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

I just noticed this now.  Here is the product

https://www.swansonv...-50-mg-120-caps

I thought it was like the other one but it was not.

I got some alternate version from them that uses the Meganatural version and it is a different color.

#14 blood

• Topic Starter
  • 926 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

I got some alternate version from them that uses the Meganatural version and it is a different color.

Hi Ironfistx,

I think that Swanson product is fine. I'm pretty sure they're using a Polyphenolics extract in that product. I think they're using "Meganatural Gold" which is Polyphenolics' general purpose grape seed extract. It's a decent product because 1) it's made of grapes (not peanuts) and 2) the extract contains a minimum 90% by weight of the things you actually want (i.e., the grape polyphenol molecules). The ratios of short and longer chain molecules is also standardised in that product.

Edited by blood, 04 April 2015 - 07:29 AM.

#15 Groundhog Day

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

When I was looking for GSE, I looked on Amazon for various products, and endied up calling quite a few manufacturers to see where the GSE was from. Most were coming from China. GNC told me their product was from France and I went with them despite the high price. About my only GNC supplement I've ever used, btw.

Would be interesting to see the brand list.

Edited by Groundhog Day, 04 April 2015 - 05:12 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

Hi Ironfistx,

I think that Swanson product is fine. I'm pretty sure they're using a Polyphenolics extract in that product. I think they're using "Meganatural Gold" which is Polyphenolics' general purpose grape seed extract. It's a decent product because 1) it's made of grapes (not peanuts) and 2) the extract contains a minimum 90% by weight of the things you actually want (i.e., the grape polyphenol molecules). The ratios of short and longer chain molecules is also standardised in that product.

I think you would be right for this Swanson product: http://www.swansonvi...-300-mg-30-caps

Not so sure about the one Ironfistx linked otherwise they would have listed in the product label as they did in the product above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grape seed extrac, gse, adulteration, contamination, standardization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users