Photo

Integrative Approach for Stage 4 Lung Cancer

cancer lung genomic alimta antioxidant immunotherapy biopsy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 studentlost

• 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

Active, healthy individual was diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCLC at age 62 in March 2013 with pleural effusion in left lung, one primary nodule in left lung, and one solitary metastasis to left hip. Given Alimta/Avastin/Carbo for 6 cycles. Pleural effusion gone, and both lung and hip nodule shrunk dramatically. 

Kept on Avastin/Alimta maintenance every 3 weeks until now. 

Also had a slightly enlarged superficial cervical lymph node in neck. Remained the same size until September 2014, where it was seen to have grown slightly. Now it is noticeable when looking at neck. Doctor wanted to wait until January for next scan to decide whether medicine should be changed due to lymph node. The other tumors have consistently been growing smaller over time.

Doctor wanted to wait on doing a needle biopsy to determine if cancer or mutation until next scan. Individual is concerned and pushed for biopsy. Scheduled to meet with doctor for that in next few weeks. I was told that it's important to consider tumor seeding in a needle biopsy. Individual is Stage 4 and it is unlikely they will decide to do a full lymph node excision. Risk of surgery, plus lack of benefit since metastasis already is present. 

Supplements:

Vitamin D 5000 IU 1x day

Zinc 15 mg 1x day

Long pepper tea 1x day (to get piperlongumine compound)

Eggplant Extract (1000 mg 1x day)

Biofilam seaweed extract (500 mg 1x day)

Melatonin (1 mg slow release 1x night)

Turmeric extract (was tried but stopped due to abnormal heart rhythm that started immediately after, unsure if it was the cause)

Diet is mainly greed vegan, with some chicken and fish

Garlic is consumed at 2 cloves per day, every day

What can be done differently? Would you still suggest a needle biopsy? Full lymph node excision? Pros and cons? 

Are the supplements being taken any good? Any synergy? Should anything be changed?

I considered reservatrol, quercetin, and cimetidine to be added on. Ran into conflicting information regarding reservatrol and cancer. 

Would prefer safer supplements/remedies, but open to hearing all suggestions. If you have any publications regarding your suggestions, please share them. The more knowledge the better.

What would you do if you were in this situation? I refuse to believe that there isn't something that exists that will help significantly. The more comprehensive of an approach you can give me, the better.

Thanks again for all your help and time

Edited by studentlost, 07 December 2014 - 11:06 AM.

• like x 2

#2 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

While you're waiting for replies, here is the main cancer thread, which is peppered with useful information if you make the effort to sift through it, above and beyond the obvious (and important) stuff like mitochondrial antioxidants, good diet, beta carotene and folate tradeoffs, etc. And here is a dog case study of particular interest, in light of the aggressive and apparently successful nature of the treatment under advice from members here (thanks for the link, Logic).

Bioahackers, let's try to help this person, as this seems to be a real but urgent opportunity to put our collective knowledge to good use. I'll shut up now because I don't know much about lung cancer.

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 07 December 2014 - 05:01 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:08 AM

I'd use Longvida curcumin instead of ordinary turmeric extract, due to much better bioavailability.  If it were me, I'd take a mitochondrial antioxidant like c60oo, mitoQ, or both.

• Good Point x 1

#4 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

although you may have already seen this, here is a link to the Lef protocol for lung cancer -
http://www.lef.org/P...Cancer/Page-les

• Informative x 3

#5 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

Good luck to this person.

although you may have already seen this, here is a link to the Lef protocol for lung cancer -
http://www.lef.org/P...Cancer/Page-les

And is their anything on this list at these doses that would not be recommended for a person without lung cancer? I have smoked close to 30 pack years, and could only be at a higher risk than most people.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:25 AM

In a meta-analysis of all cancer research that appeared in US News and World Report years ago, (the nineties?)  they found that traditional Western Medical treatment for lung cancer made the patients 2% more likely to die.  The five year survival rate was about 51% without treatment and 49% with it.    

Chinese Medicine is the most powerful thing I know.  I would look at my thread on it below and look for a good practitioner.  Make sure to put nothing in your lungs but air, no incense, no perfume, no insecticides, no pot, no room scents, no lysol, no hair spray.  Even natural fragrances can be bothersome, specially if they are intended to scent the room.  Avoid second-hand smoke.  Don't paint the house, etc.  Get fresh air regularly but don't get depleted from cold.      

Good detox/antioxidant supplements could help.  

I like Nature's Plus Pancreatin, which is animal-sourced.  Take one on an empty stomach to begin, wait twenty minutes to eat.  Work up to one every four hours, if tolerated.  Some people can tolerate two pills at a time.  Less if fine.  One pill a day will help.  

Bromelian by KAL is another good scavenger, it is pineapple enzymes. Same protocol, but using two at a time may be too much?  You can take them together but to start, try one at a time.  Only KAL brand is effective.  

Green Magma (barley grass sourced) is another detox/antioxidant.  The powder is the most digestible by the pills might work for some.  

Glisodin is another antioxidant, wheat sourced.  You can buy it at Swansons.  Boswellin/Boswellia is an anti-inflammatory.  Inflammation might be present and part of the problem.  I like the house brand at Vitacost.com but others are good too.  I believe you could take all of these together.  

Boswellin can be taken with food as well but the others should not be.  Hot plain green tea may help, if it agrees with you.  

Pu-erh tea might help.  It is a fermented black tea with special qualities.  You can decaffeinate any tea by steeping it in a little hot water for a minute, discarding that water and using the bag to make tea as usual.  You can mail order Uncle Lee's brand of Pu-erh tea from Vitacost, and maybe Swansons.  Numi makes a version which I am not as familiar with.  It is much milder in flavor than Uncle Lee's.  I know Uncle Lee's is effective.  If you do go with Numi, use the plain version.  

You might want to try steamed barley, well-cooked and eaten warm.  It is known to remove excess mucous from the lungs, and I've seen it do that.  I wonder what it would do here?  

There are Chinese special exercises, kind of like Tai Chi, that help with health.  Wu Wei?  I forget the  name.

As always with this condition, eating less or no sugar is recommended.  You said the person is vegan.  Just in case, I mention that limiting dairy would be helpful.  Too much dairy can clog the lungs.        

A good accupuncturist is the best source of info on natural medicine and dietary advice.  They can prescribe special foods, teas and dietary and lifestyle advice as well as acupuncture and herbs.  Their advice would most important, if you get a good practitioner.

Good luck.

http://www.longecity...inese-medicine/         

Edited by Luminosity, 21 December 2014 - 05:36 AM.

• Needs references x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cancer, lung, genomic, alimta, antioxidant, immunotherapy, biopsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users