• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

does drinking something during or after a meal promote acid reflux diseases?

acid reflux disease

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

I was told this is true so I asked why does every place have to serve drinks with the meal then? I was told so the places such as restaurants would make money. It makes sense but I'm trying to find out if there's any truth to this. Would it be better to simply eat just food and have fluids separately? Maybe the hydrochloric acids in our stomach gets diluted when drinking fluids with the meal? Is it simply better to just eat the meal and have the drink separately?

#2 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

If there is sodium in the meal you would become thirsty if you drank nothing.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

OK but it's the individual's will if they want to drink or not.

#4 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

Water is fine. Alcohol maybe a cause for concern.

A glass of water immediately increases gastric pH in healthy subjects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/18473176/

Is alcohol consumption associated with gastroesophageal reflux disease?*

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2880354/

Edited by Metagene, 30 December 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

eon, how does a restaurant make money from providing you with FREE water? They are not allowed to charge for it. They can charge for bottled water, but it's just about universal in the US that they have to give you tap water for free if you want it. There is nothing wrong with drinking water with a meal if you're in remotely normal health.

#6 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

I should have said drinking "liquids" after a meal (i.e. sodas, juice, etc. and including water). I would think anything drinkable has water in them.

eon, how does a restaurant make money from providing you with FREE water? They are not allowed to charge for it. They can charge for bottled water, but it's just about universal in the US that they have to give you tap water for free if you want it. There is nothing wrong with drinking water with a meal if you're in remotely normal health.

Edited by eon, 31 December 2014 - 09:07 AM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

Soda is never good for you.  Most fruit juices are only barely better than soda, with some exceptions.  Tea, coffee, milk, beer, and wine are ok in moderation assuming one doesn't have a sensitivity or addiction to them.  Cocktails don't have much to recommend them, other than that they are a quick way to dose yourself with EtOH, and sometimes taste good.  In all these cases, it's not the water that's the problem, it's the stuff dissolved in it.

#8 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:48 AM

well I was just going by what someone mentioned to me. She never drinks when eating because she said it promotes acid reflux disease. Seems like people are used to having their drinks with their meals. Maybe it's a good idea when eating, to just eat, and when drinking, just drink.

#9 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

i would think drinking water would dilute the stomach acids needed to "dissolve" the foods properly.

Edited by eon, 14 January 2015 - 07:28 AM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#10 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

i would think drinking water would dilute the stomach acids needed to "dissolve" the foods properly.

A quick and dirty explanation:

DOES DRINKING WITH MEALS DILUTE DIGESTIVE ENZYMES?

http://www.livestron...enzymes/#page=1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acid reflux, disease

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users