• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Psychological reaction from antinflammatory tablets? (cortisol)

depression brainfog stiffness tiredness cortisol thyroid hpa

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:33 AM

I have been selfmedicating with antiinflammatory tablets. With high amounts of caffeine I have been feeling a lot better than I usually do. Although my skin starts to itch like hell. Also I feel alot more relaxed and am not so tense.

I have done som bloodwork to check my thyroidhormones but everything seems to be ok.

What could it be?

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:34 PM

As You´ve said, its because of Cortisol. Cortisol can induce euphoria, but depression and anxiety in high doses

Coffeine increases cortisol as well. But I would rather avoid cortisol when not perscribed for a medical condition.

I´ve ead somehwere that it can be armful in higher dosages.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Raptor87

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

As You´ve said, its because of Cortisol. Cortisol can induce euphoria, but depression and anxiety in high doses

Coffeine increases cortisol as well. But I would rather avoid cortisol when not perscribed for a medical condition.

OK! perhaps it just alters my perception for a while, dunno? I feel better but the anxiety thing is a weird one, sometimes it get's worse, sometimes it get's better. 

Anxiety is a bitch, there is no real cure for it, it's like being cotrolled by a higher power. I had a panic attack for NO reason after a work out. Usually I know why, but when it it pops up like that I start to wonder what's wrong.

#4 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

Anxiety is compared to the deppresion potential the lesser evil.

From my amateurish knowledge:

Check whether the effects of Cortisol are allways to 100% reversible (e.g. via case reports). Otherwise You´re playing with fire

High cortisol is known to damage Your body.

Ok perresistent effects, if they appear, are perhaps reversible to a good extend with mifepristone.

But cortisol does also have some influence on protein expression.

As said I´m an amateur, so take this with a grain of salt.

Edited by Flex, 15 December 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#5 eMiKo

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

Dear OP, its the Cortisol youre taking.

However you should stop taking it asap, Ostereoposis, Diabetes, Cataracts, that stuff aint funny.

#6 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

OK! perhaps it just alters my perception for a while, dunno? I feel better but the anxiety thing is a weird one, sometimes it get's worse, sometimes it get's better. 

Anxiety is a bitch, there is no real cure for it, it's like being cotrolled by a higher power. I had a panic attack for NO reason after a work out. Usually I know why, but when it it pops up like that I start to wonder what's wrong.

Caffeine causes and worsens anxiety. If you suffer from anxiety you should avoid all forms of caffeine and potentially related xanthines.

You said high amounts of caffeine, correct?

Caffeine has a half-life of is only ~6 hours; so using high doses not only can cause anxiety itself -- but withdrawal from caffeine can begin as soon as there is an appreciable drop in blood levels when the body is accustomed to high doses.

I suspect you are suffering from anxiety because of your high caffeine intake, and the up and down is caused by withdrawal from caffeine between doses.

Edited by sensei, 29 December 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#7 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

Sry I´ve overlooked that.

If Glucocorticoids are the cause then, either a too low or too high level of them can cause or inhibit anxiety (!?)

So perhaps due overactivation and therefore the decrase of the body GR (via autoreceptor function) or through a low to mid level of GR

A flux could be explained via GR desentitation / Glucocorticoid resistance

sigh.. on the other hand: GR do repress e.g. proinflammatory interleukines ( il-1ß, il-6 perhaps TNF-alpha) which could induce anxiety/depression.

so by depletion ( or in this case by autoregulated inhibiton !?) anxiety can occur

As You see, its amateurish knowledge..

Out of curiosity, When did You experienced the good felling ?

concomitantly with the anixety or without it ?

Edited by Flex, 29 December 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#8 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

BTW, caffeine increases serum cortisol.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#9 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:48 PM

Just to make one thing clear because I cant edit my post:

Proinflammatory cytokines do increase the depression.

I meant it in the context of absence of Cortisol which would result in a rise of cytokines.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, brainfog, stiffness, tiredness, cortisol thyroid, hpa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users