• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Will Sports Leagues Harm Stem Cell Progress?

stem cells nfl sports regulations treatments

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

Athletes seek stem cell treatments: http://www.technolog...ell-treatments/

Related thread - Stem cells being used in cosmetic surgery: http://www.longecity...lastic-surgery/

In either of these cases, there is not a lot of evidence of efficacy (yet). They are probably sending stem cells on a death trip, such as was the case with the first attempts at curing heart disease by "blindly" injecting them into the heart. The old/aged tissue environment basically killed the stem cells. The stem cells function better in a young stem cell niche/environment with the correct growth factors. (Best I can do for reference right now. Here and here.)

What I see is a huge opportunity for stem cell experimentation in regards to health and tissue repair. Rich athletes taking a risk and potentially benefiting all of humanity. What has typically happened in the past is that the NFL, MLB, NBA, and even the U.S. congress over-react and ban everything and anything that could enhance performance. That is what I predict will happen.

#2 kaypeeoh

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

A person's own stem cells are not foreign chemicals so there's no way to test the blood. 

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

A person's own stem cells are not foreign chemicals so there's no way to test the blood. 

They can actually. They can test for increased levels of hormones, peptides, blood red cell counts. They do it in most sports.

Technically stem cells are already banned. Just not in writing. Yet.

• Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

http://www.olympic.o...d-List-2014.pdf

S2.PEPTIDE HORMONES, GROWTH FACTORS AND RELATED SUBSTANCES
The following substances, and other substances with similar chemical structure or similar biological effect(s), are prohibited:
1.Erythropoiesis - Stimulating Agents[e.g. erythropoietin (EPO), darbepoetin (dEPO), hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)stabilizers, methoxy polyethyleneglycol-epoetinbeta (CERA), peginesatide(Hematide)];

2.Chorionic Gonadotrophin (CG)andLuteinizing Hormone (LH)andtheir releasing factors,in males;
3.Corticotrophinsand their releasing factors;
4.GrowthHormone(GH)and its releasing factorsandInsulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1). In addition,the following growth factors are prohibited Fibroblast Growth Factors (FGFs), Hepatocyte Growth Factor (HGF), Mechano Growth Factors (MGFs), Platelet-Derived Growth Factor(PDGF), Vascular-Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) as well as anyother growth factor affecting muscle, tendon or ligament proteinsynthesis/degradation, vascularisation, energy utilization, regenerativecapacity or fibre type switching;and other substances with similarchemical structure or similar biological effect(s)

M1.MANIPULATION OF BLOOD AND BLOOD COMPONENTS
The following are prohibited:
1.The administration or reintroduction of any quantity of autologous, allogenic ( homologous )or heterologous blood or red blood cell products of any origin into the circulatory system.
2.Artificially enhancing the uptake, transport or delivery of oxygen,including, but not limited to, perfluorochemicals, efaproxiral (RSR13) and modified haemoglobin products(e.g.haemoglobin-based blood substitutes,microencapsulated haemoglobin products), excluding supplemental oxygen.
3.Any form of intravascular manipulation of the blood or blood components by physical or chemical means.

M3. GENE DOPING
The following, with the potential to enhance sport performance, are prohibited:
1.The transfer of polymers of nucleic acids or nucleic acid analogues;
2.The use of normal or genetically modified cells.

I guess I was wrong on one little bit they are already banned in quite literal writing. The anti doping committees sure are fast.

Edited by corb, 20 December 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

My question is when will the gig be up? Performance enhancing techniques keep getting more sophisticated and such therapies might soon make the average Joe more "athletic" and/or fit than professional athletes who will be relegated to caveman/cavewoman status (stuck with their genetics).

What seems to be happening is that younger generations are migrating to online sports/activities, where they are not limited by genetics, only by imagination. By forcing professional athletes to be completely "natural", the sports leagues might be sealing their own fate int the dustbin of history.

If they allowed some (safe) enhancement they might be able to keep up with the virtual world for little while longer. I would rather watch super-person compete against super-person, than caveman vs. caveman.

• Agree x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:57 AM

Baseball has not banned Tommy John Surgery for Pitchers where they graft a ligament from the leg onto an elbow. That has been going on for a couple of decades and is more invasive than the bone marrow/stem cell healing aid used for joints described in the article you linked to. The "ban" on PEDs is all about image, they don't want their players associated with drug use. I don't see any ban on marrow transplants anytime in the future, because there is no poor role model issue. I read a big article in Scientific American 8 or so years ago about Gene Doping, supposedly it was going to be the next big thing by 2010. Until I start seeing world records broken by China or North Korea Athletes I am going to assume that Gene Doping is a bust.

Edited by JohnD60, 24 December 2014 - 06:00 AM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stem cells, nfl, sports, regulations, treatments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users