• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is Magnesium glycinate chelate buffered the same as Magnesium glycinate?

magnesium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:31 AM

Reading about this product from Swanson it says it is magnesium glycinate chelate buffered and the ingredients say magnesium oxide.

https://www.swansonv...therSize=SWU073

Other ingredients: Gelatin, magnesium oxide, citric acid, maltodextrin, may contain one or more of the following: microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), magnesium stearate, silica.

And then there is magnesium glycinate

https://www.swansonv...series-250-caps

#2 meth_use_lah

• 72 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

I looked into this some time ago, "buffered" means that Albion couldn't produce enough mag-gly so they filled the caps up with mag-oxide because it was in such high demand for a time, it's pretty much a scam.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

Albion manufactures magnesium amino acid chelates (including magnesium glycinate), and sells them to supplement manufacturers for inclusion in dietary supplements.

Here are the magnesium products offered by Albion (for incorporation into dietary supplements) - taken from the Albion website:

Link: http://albionmineral...ts-trade/traacs

3451 Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate Buffered
3461 Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate Taste Free™
3476 Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate
3500 Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate
3527 Magnesium Glycinate Glutamine Chelate
3465 Creatine MagnaPower® (Click here for consumer information about Creatine MagnaPower®)

Some of these products are "buffered" (heh, "diluted", actually) with magnesium oxide.

It can be difficult to know if the Albion magnesium glycinate product you purchased does indeed contain magnesium oxide. You can't trust, believe, rely on the label. This is due to dubious labelling requirements/practices apparently imposed on supplement manufacturers by Albion as part of their product licensing arrangements. Albion is being sued over this. See here for more information: Albion - unethical & untrustworthy??

In this post I summarised results from a human study which compared the bioavailability of a magnesium amino acid chelate (magnesium glycinate is an amino acid chelate), magnesium citrate, and magnesium oxide. Subjects took one of the three types of magnesium for 2 months. Only magnesium citrate produced increases in blood (plasma) and salivary magnesium after 60 days. I.e., it's possible that magnesium citrate is the superior choice (better bioavailability than magnesium amino acid chelates and magnesium oxide).

Recommendations:

1) Life Extension Foundation (a trustworthy brand) sells a very inexpensive encapsulated magnesium citrate product: Link

2) NOW sells inexpensive magnesium citrate powder: Link

Edited by blood, 17 December 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#4 albionminerals

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:00 AM

I am the Director of Customer Care for Albion Laboratories, Inc.

Albion is guided by the ideal that the people of the world deserve the highest quality mineral nutrition products. This core philosophy can be seen in the way Albion offers abundant material on clinical research and third-party studies, contributes comprehensive information in our educational videos, public newsletters, and websites, and employs its Scientific Advisory Board.

Albion is highly respected in the industry for our customer relations and the way we work closely with our trade customers to provide the highest quality mineral products on the market. However, Albion does not control how our customers label their own products and formulations.

Regarding our magnesium products: in order to provide companies with the choice of mineral forms that will work best in their formulations, Albion manufactures a wide variety of magnesium products, including magnesium bisglycinate chelate, buffered magnesium bisglycinate chelate, and several other magnesium forms. The buffered version of the magnesium bisglycinate chelate contains magnesium oxide, meaning that magnesium oxide is added to the magnesium bisglycinate chelate. This buffered version allows formulators to select a magnesium product with higher elemental magnesium content as well as high bioavailability. Having a variety of product offerings enables formulators to choose the ingredient that will work best in their particular product.

We welcome and encourage research into our products. Albion has a virtual library of this easily accessible, educational material. Our consumer website, www.AlbionNutritionalFacts.com, is a good place to start. Albion is dedicated to supporting our products with sound scientific evidence and cutting-edge research and technological advancement. We will continue to uphold our dedication to the highest ideals of business ethics, transparency, and integrity.

We are glad that so many of you are conscious of the important role magnesium plays in mineral nutrition, and we invite you to direct any additional questions about our magnesium products to our Consumer Response Team at AlbionInquiry@albionminerals.com.

#5 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

I also think taking a formulation that consists of 100 mg of  magnesium oxide plus 100 mg of magnesium glycinate chelate and then labeling it as 200 mg of Buffered Magnesium Glycinate is a scam. Bluebonnet used to do exactly that but I noticed they recently changed their big-lettered label to read "Chelated Magnesium Buffered with Magnesium Oxide", dropping the misleading 200 mg language. But their product description on Amazon still uses the old language: "Chelated Magnesium 200mg by Bluebonnet 120 VegCap Chelated Magnesium 200mg 120 VegCap Product Bluebonnet's Chelated Magnesium Capsules provide magnesium glycinate chelate buffered with magnesium oxide to increase the pH (alkalinity) of the formula making it more gentle on the digestive tract".

Fwiw, I used the Bluebonnet product myself 2x daily for a few months until I realized my stool was getting steadily looser.  I wasn't sure what was causing it but when I switched to a non-buffered Carlson 200 mg Magnesium Glycinate Chelate the problem went away almost immediately.

Howard

Edited by hav, 15 January 2015 - 04:12 AM.

#6 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:59 PM

Does anyone know what the magnesium glycinate 20% sold by Powder City contains? It is listed as being 20% with no indication as to what comprises the rest of the powder. And on the package it only says magnesium glycinate in the ingredients. I sent them an email yesterday and if they respond ill update.

#7 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:54 AM

"Our magnesium glycinate 20% is 20% magnesium 80% glycinate. I've attached our 3rd party COA for your review. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance."

So PowderCity's product is legit. This thread had me worried because I had just bought a years supply  :blink:

Edited by Fenix_, 17 January 2015 - 12:55 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:42 AM

Some magnesium glycinate chelated powder has no oxide in it:

http://www.swansonvi...-150-grams-pwdr

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users