ASHWAGANDHA'S SIDE EFFECTS?

ashwagandha

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 livebetter

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

I've been taking rhodiola with good results for about 2years now to treat anxiety, OCD, depression, insomnia.

I added NOW ashwagandha 450mg 2.5%, to my herbal stack(rhodiola(500mg), gotu kola(450mg),eleuthero root(250mg))...within 2 weeks, I became really aggressive. Lots of energy, noticed I was more anxious when out in public, hypervigilant about surrroundings. Noticing every little detail of whats happening around me. My mind was racing with intrusive negative thoughts or events that had happened in the past.

during the period i was on ashwgandha i was going through a lot of stress; relationship, work, etc.

All the syptoms I experienced relate to hyperthyroid condition. I decided to half the dosage(take half pill).

I have a very healthy lifestyle, run go to gym. no problems with thyroid gland.

I really like the way it burns fat(mid section), much better than rhodiola. its the only reason I would want to continue taking it. But i just can't control the racing thoughts and aggression, i feel like a monster taking small things seriously like threats.

am I just insane, or ashwagandha isn't for me? 

#2 meth_use_lah

• 72 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

How did you feel on a lower dosage? did you try to drop the other herbs and "trial" ashwagandha on it's own?

I've felt exhausted/"like I was burning up" from ashwagandha but then I dosed 4.5% withanolides 450mg 3 times a day for a couple of weeks.

1.5-3% 450-500mg twice a day hasn't been a problem for me though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 livebetter

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

Today is second day without ashwagandha.

I didnt drop other herbs
rhodiola,eleuthero just work wonders for me.clear calm dont easily get irritated.
i think if i stop rhodiola, ill leave my 2nd job.

250mg of Now ashg. 2.5% gives me a lot of energy.really fast fat loss
but stil feel aggressive; road rage, obsessive analyzing of what people say or do.just mad at the world.

I work overnight shift once a week maybe its contributing to my insomnia.
i usually have segmented sleep
sleep 4 or 5am wakeup at 10Am and after an hr or 2, im asleep again for 3hrs. i dont sleep straight 7 or 8hrs.

bought himalaya brand online today. going to see if its any different
NOW brand pills have dark green powder but the himalaya brand pills have light brown color(pics online)
I wonder if now brand is too potent;include dried leaves and root?

went through tough times this yr. trying r hard to get life back to normal.

i will post my findings soon

#4 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:42 AM

Ashwagandha such a rad word...

• Pointless, Timewasting x 4
  • dislike x 1

#5 RonBurgandy

• 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:17 AM

In my experience it's been quite the opposite. With rhodiola I ussually get very aggressive/anxious after a couple days of use. In fact this seems to be the case with most adaptogenic herbs I have tried, with the exception of ashwagandha. I typically dose ~250mg 8% once a day in the morning time. I had to bring my initial dosage down in order to get the desired effects. Lately I have been using this dose in combination with phosphatidyl serine, which has been quite pleasant to say the least.

Everyones brain chemistry is different though.

You make some of the most pointess comments on this forum.

#6 livebetter

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:11 AM

In my experience it's been quite the opposite. With rhodiola I ussually get very aggressive/anxious after a couple days of use. In fact this seems to be the case with most adaptogenic herbs I have tried, with the exception of ashwagandha. I typically dose ~250mg 8% once a day in the morning time. I had to bring my initial dosage down in order to get the desired effects. Lately I have been using this dose in combination with phosphatidyl serine, which has been quite pleasant to say the least.

Everyones brain chemistry is different though.

You make some of the most pointess comments on this forum.

yes you are right, the brain chemistery is a big thing with such herbs.

I'm in my 30s. I wanted to add adaptogens to lower stress, anxiety from job, relationships. etc  I have no problems with energy/testosterone.

I"ve always had high testosterone, aggressive and angry personality since childhood. I thought maybe the adaptogens are causing a surge in my hormones dht, testosterone, and the brain doesn't know how to handle it.

For the two years of experimenting with rhodiola, gotu kola, gingko biloba, I've found;

Rhodiola was giving me amazing mental power, really good focus at work(night shifts). Good workouts. I first started with 1x500mg pill, and it felt like someone gave me a shot of adrenalin right in my heart. it was great but I was wired all day. So I only took it early morning.

increased to 2x500mg.3% pills a day. same thing, lots of energy, fat loss(but not much belly fat loss as I wanted) but noticed I was getting irritated easily, anxious, always on fight mode. Libido was through the roof, just wanted sex with my gf all the time.

I felt everything Russian scientists had claimed.

gingko biloba and rhodiola together gave me bad insomnia.

decided to add gotu kola, 2x 450mg NOW pills; libido was at 200% , fast facial, body+head hair growth, started gaining fat around midsection(read somewhere it increases blood sugar and cholesterol). But it made me really calm no anxiety(loud/sudden noises won't startle me), memory recall was just astonishing. I had to stop taking it because I was gaining belly fat and was becoming really hairy.

2 x 500mg now rhodiola, 1x250mg eleuthero root , 1x 450mg NOW gotu kola, 1x450mg now ashwagandha 2.5%.

this stack turned me into a monster. in below minus weather I could wear a tshirt shorts,body was burning up, couldn't even sleep(max 4hrs at nights), later 2hour naps(segemented sleep) because I felt like my blood is boiling. fast weight loss, awkward/anxious in public places, racing thoughts all the time, always defensive, started having social issues, arguments with my friends.

I'm investigation the NOW brand that I bought online from one of the big online supplement sites...took photo of it, its dark green in color. from pics of others brands online, organic and some from india...the powder is light brown with a hint of green.

I don't know if its a bad batch or maybe accidently mixed with some other herb.

Waiting for Himalaya brand 2.6%(light brown). I will try it for 1 or 2 weeks, early morning dose without the rhodiola. If I become anxious, aggressive/ocd negative thoughts, the way I did with NOW brand. I'll stop taking it.

thank you for the input

Attached Files

• like x 1

#7 meth_use_lah

• 72 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've mainly used Now Foods ashwagandha and it's never been green tinted grey/brown? like yours, always light brown.

#8 livebetter

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

really! I threw away the bottle.
i won't be buying now brand anymore.

#9 meth_use_lah

• 72 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

really! I threw away the bottle.
i won't be buying now brand anymore.

Don't throw it away send them an angry mail with a picture and they might send you something. I would vouch for Now foods overall they have several cheap quality products.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 livebetter

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

Good idea.

Yes they do have cheap quality products.lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ashwagandha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users