opiates tramadol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blaine_11

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:25 PM

hi there, 
              i was using tramadol for 6 months for back pain and i stopped taking it 9 months ago, yet i still cant get a buzz from alcohol, anyone had this or know why this has happened? i can literally drink until i am sick and not feel any effects from alcohol. im worried that im damaged for life :(

please note: it is NOT tolerance, i drink maybe twice a month

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

Alcohol requires mu-opioid receptor for rewarding effects (through endogenous opiates). You've hit the mu pretty hard with tramadol, and therefore you in fact have tolerance - not to alcohol per se but to anything that works through opiates. What happens is desensitization in the reward centers (nacc, vp), through which pretty much all rewarding drugs work. The cannabinoid system should be mostly unaffected, so maybe there's another substance you might use for recreation...

The effects should eventually mostly return when in absence though. CCK-B- and NMDA-antagonism might work to reverse tolerance.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 15 December 2014 - 01:53 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 blaine_11

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

Alcohol requires mu-opioid receptor for rewarding effects (through endogenous opiates). You've hit the mu pretty hard with tramadol, and therefore you in fact have tolerance - not to alcohol per se but to anything that works through opiates. What happens is desensitization in the reward centers (nacc, vp), through which pretty much all rewarding drugs work. The cannabinoid system should be mostly unaffected, so maybe there's another substance you might use for recreation...

The effects should eventually mostly return when in absence though. CCK-B- and NMDA-antagonism might work to reverse tolerance.

so 6 months of tramadol use has screwed me for life?! 

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

No way, but it may take time. It took me about a year to get somewhat rewarding effect from alcohol again after quitting 6 month Phenibut usage (another rewarding drug). I think the secondary action of tramadol as SNRI plays a part there, I've read that SSRI discontinuation symptoms can last for years. Anyway, your brain is adaptive and seeks for homeostasis, best you can do is to support that with diet, exercise, brain supplements like bacopa, gotu kola, ashwagandha, noopept. Patience.. and you'll recover and enjoy your beer again.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 blaine_11

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

No way, but it may take time. It took me about a year to get somewhat rewarding effect from alcohol again after quitting 6 month Phenibut usage (another rewarding drug). I think the secondary action of tramadol as SNRI plays a part there, I've read that SSRI discontinuation symptoms can last for years. Anyway, your brain is adaptive and seeks for homeostasis, best you can do is to support that with diet, exercise, brain supplements like bacopa, gotu kola, ashwagandha, noopept. Patience.. and you'll recover and enjoy your beer again.

a year to get somewhat rewarding effect from alcohol again? as in a buzz? actually i read about someone who used Ambien and the same thing happened and it took a good year or so of abstinence from ambien to enjoy the effects of alcohol. i guess that gives me some hope i'll enjoy a couple beers again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users