• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Which branch of engineering should I pursue?

engineering school physics

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

Now that the semester's over, I'm going to spend some more time researching different avenues in engineering. If any of you have any ideas or suggestions for me, I'd appreciate the input. 

Money isn't much of a concern because I have no intention of having a family, but I would like to find a balance between several other factors, namely personal interest and potential in the future. Right now I'm deciding between electrical and chemical engineering, although I'm certainly willing to explore other routes. I don't really like working with people, but I really enjoy math and the theoretical aspects of subjects. One of my biggest fears is finding myself in a mundane position. I'd really like to work on something new and interesting.    

Anyway, I thought I'd just throw out some general ideas. Again, I would appreciate any input. If you'd like me to expound on anything, let me know. 

Thanks!

Nicholas 

*edit* I should have mentioned that I'd like to pursue an advanced degree sometime in the future, although, like now, I'm not sure what it'll be in.  

Edited by N.T.M., 14 December 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#2 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

Why not you try some medical engineering? I mean engineering of medical devices.

#3 Danail

• 35 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

NTM why you don't want to have a family, man

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 N.T.M.

• Topic Starter
  • 640 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:45 AM

Why not you try some medical engineering? I mean engineering of medical devices.

I've considered that. In fact, having worked as an RN I think I'd be an ideal candidate for it. As an electrical engineer I'm sure I could work as part of a design team. I really don't have any clear idea of what I'd like to do. I just know that I want it to be intellectually challenging, and I want it to be centered around something that I have a strong interest in. 

After doing some research it looks like there are significantly fewer jobs for chemical engineers, and the diversity is also less as compared with electrical engineering. I enjoy chemistry, but everything I'm reading suggests that it has surprisingly little to do with most chemical engineering jobs. And electrical engineering involves more physics, which is a big plus. :)  

And Danail, I just don't think it's in the cards for me. I'm not a social person, and I'm very emotionally detached. The incentive isn't there. 

#5 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

Well, then become a medical devices engineer. I wish you good luck in your new profession :)

#6 N.T.M.

• Topic Starter
  • 640 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

Well, then become a medical devices engineer. I wish you good luck in your new profession :)

Thank you. I might start there. 

#7 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:59 AM

If you want to do something good for the world then do think about money and donate everything to SENS or FAI-research. Go into software engineering and focus on financial control systems. Game development with an eye on 3D is also a good bet. Medical devices, chemical engineering that I would be leery about. Ten years from now you may think very differently about family.

Edited by Cosmicalstorm, 23 December 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#8 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:04 AM

Wow! I almost totally disagree with you, @Cosmicalstorm

This is exactly what I call cheeky.

So, you advice him to sell all he has, and to donate the money to SENS or FAI-research. That is equal to suicide, but is also very generous. Why not you do it first?

Financial control systems and game development will not make you immortal. But they can enslave you economically, and turn you in a game - addicted junk.

So, if we listen to you, we will not do medical devices, and will not develop the chemical sciences, instead we have to be financially controlled games addicted coach potatoes.

• Agree x 1

#9 N.T.M.

• Topic Starter
  • 640 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:40 AM

If you want to do something good for the world then do think about money and donate everything to SENS or FAI-research. Go into software engineering and focus on financial control systems. Game development with an eye on 3D is also a good bet. Medical devices, chemical engineering that I would be leery about. Ten years from now you may think very differently about family.

I'd like to donate money, but right now I think it's impractical for me. And why are you leery of chemical engineering and designing medical devices? For now at least I've decided to pursue a degree in electrical engineering.  

#10 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:26 AM

I met some unemployed chemical engineers. But maybe that was a coincidence, I'm not an expert in this field. I think computers and what is around them is going to be really hot for a good time to come. Going after EE sounds like a good idea, make sure you get in contact with real companies and people who do business and do not spend all time at school.

Wish you well

#11 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

If you like going after electrical engineering, than maybe it is a good idea to start working for some company, producing MRI and other medical visualization technology. Ultrasound medical devices is something else, that comes in my mind. Ultrasonic devices can be diagnostic, but also can be used for treatment.

#12 N.T.M.

• Topic Starter
  • 640 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

I met some unemployed chemical engineers. But maybe that was a coincidence, I'm not an expert in this field. I think computers and what is around them is going to be really hot for a good time to come. Going after EE sounds like a good idea, make sure you get in contact with real companies and people who do business and do not spend all time at school.

Wish you well

From the research I've done on chemical engineering it seems that job opportunities are fairly limited, so what you're saying makes sense. And I definitely think you're right about computers and related fields. It's one of the reasons I chose EE. 

Thank you.

And Seivtcho, I think that's a good idea, but I'm not sure how marketable I would be without an engineering degree. Maybe once I get some more classes under my belt. 

#13 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,212 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

Oh, having a higher education is a must in my point of view.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engineering, school, physics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users