• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Morning Agitation - potential causes & relief??

agitation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pmacdona51

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

I will start out by mentioning that 6 weeks ago I cold turkey'd from 120-150mg of oxycodone a day, and while it was a challenge, the combination of Gabapentin/Clonidine and a variety of other supplements helped me 'recover' relatively quickly.  Returning to a daily regime of weight training, proper sleep, and healthy dieting certainly helped.  With that said, I was also on a relatively stable dose of dexadrine XR during my opiod use as well, ranging from 45mg - 60mg daily.  On my last day of opiod use i dropped my dexadrine to 20mg of XR daily, and have recently (~2weeks ago) titrated down to 15mg daily, with a plan to decrease by 5mg every 3 weeks.

While I have used a variety of nootropics, vitamins, supplements in the past, I have elected to minimize my current daily stacks to simple multi-vitamins, with magnesium/b6/vitC & melatonin prior to bed.  This way I figured I could add ONE thing at a time and properly assess what each of these was doing for me, rather than creating yet another 'stack' to try and get me through what I am sure are very normal symptoms of my recovery process.

THAT BEING SAID, there are certain symptoms I would like to try and determine what are the potential causes for and then attempt mitigate these in order to maintain the most stable emotional balance I can in order to minimize any significantly low periods that could trigger a relapse - while of course utilizing other tools such as group/individual counselling, etc.  Symptoms such as a depressive mood, or even a period of low motivation, I can certainly handle now without any need to self medicate, however there is one pattern than I am seeing that could potentially cause me issues in my long term goals to be off of all medications (for at least a year to determine if I have any chronic issues outside of addiction) - that one is Morning Agitation.

Upon waking, about 30-45 minutes afterwards, I experience flows of extreme agitation (almost like an agitation adrenaline rush).  This is obviously no issue when I go to the gym in the AM, however even afterwards there are a few periods where the 'almost physical' and instant feeling of anger is boarderline debilitating.  The only other time I have felt this outside of say the first 2-3hrs in my day is about 30mins after a dose of Aniracetam (2 weeks ago), which caused me to not take this any longer.

I am wondering if this is simply a amphetamine withdrawal (as I do not take my dexadrine dose until about 3hrs post wake, after my workout), in which case I would welcome any suggestions to this, OR is it blood sugar related, a cortisol issue, etc.  

My goal is to identify the probable causes, determine if there is a solution, and if there is not, use other tools to ride it out until it subsides.

With a history of opiod, amps, SSRI and steroid use/abuse over the past 4 years, I recognize that 6 weeks is a tiny period of time to expect a return to "normal" state, however with a consistent (acute) symptom like this, I'd like to think there are some ways to figure out WHY, and HOW perhaps I could help reduce this.

Thank you in advance for any advice etc.

#2 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:27 AM

My first thought was cortisol. My next thought was 'I have no personal experience of this kind of withdrawal'. So with that in mind, my suggestion would be that if you want to see if cortisol is related to this reaction, you should consider getting up 30 min earlier than usual (and, at least initially, go to bed 30 min earlier too, to make sure you get the required amount of sleep). Take 10-15 min in the morning to do meditation. Ideally, you would also spend your last 10-15 minutes before falling asleep meditating, too.

Meditation lowers cortisol levels so if the reason is a cortisol spike, that regime should help. There are many forms of meditation. As a general method I'd just recommend standard sitting mindfulness of the breath meditation, but if you find another method you believe would be more effective in your case, go for it.

My next thought IS based on personal experience: Are you sure you are getting enough nutrition for your workout program? If you skip breakfast or avoid carbs completely, that could lead to crappy mood and aggression. It does in me. So if that rings true, do try having more of a proper breakfast. It's possible you don't need carbs, then just use eggs and yoghurt or something. Adding some fruit or just one piece of sourdough bread could optimize things though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:05 AM

Congrats on the progress with your addiction... There's some decent studies on Piracetam and addiction

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: agitation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users