• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting find on Mars

mars organic life

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

NASA Rover Finds Active and Ancient Organic Chemistry on Mars

I do think at some point we will find direct evidence of past life on Mars, perhaps even of present life but only deep beneath the surface. I am guessing it won't come until we have boots on the ground a decade + from now though, but hopefully I will be wrong.

• like x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

You may well be right about finding direct evidence of past or present life, and underground (one hopes not too deep) is probably the only possibility.  As for boots on the ground, I suspect that's going to happen somewhere along the line, although getting people to be willing to cough up that kind of money will take a motivating factor.  Evidence of life gathered from a rover?  Proving that we're more awesome than the Chinese, Indians, or whoever else might be flexing space muscle?  (that trick worked last time...)   However, I'm not convinced boots on the ground is as big a technological win or as much bang for the buck as the development of really capable autonomous robots.  They'll be needed anyway for exploration of the moons of the gas giants, which AFAIK are still the best hope for life in our solar system.

(what, no dinosaur bones? :laugh: )

• Cheerful x 1

#3 mikeinnaples

• Topic Starter
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

I think boots on the ground isn't so much important for exploration as it is important for continuity of our species (or whatever transhuman species we may become down the road). It has to start somewhere I suppose and overcoming many of the obstacles in the way of our (NASA's) Mars mission will be steps towards that.

• Agree x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:00 AM

A rover finding signs of life on Mars? I highly doubt that. That's a job for humans. If you want to find fossils, sent a geologists team, not stupid and slow machines.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:37 AM

A rover finding signs of life on Mars? I highly doubt that. That's a job for humans. If you want to find fossils, sent a geologists team, not stupid and slow machines.

Don't send stupid and slow machines, or humans either.  Send smart and nimble robots.  We can do that sooner, for less money, and with more technological benefits that can be used on Earth.  Send humans much later when our technology is much better.  We have plenty of time before we need to worry about continuation of the species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users