collagengranzyme b skin aging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:34 PM

Saw this the other day: http://science.slash...skin-aging-gene

An enzyme that negatively affects the integrity of skin collagen. Any experts here who know something about Granzyme B?

Caution of course...this is a study in mice, not humans.

• like x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

Interesting.  It sounds like we would need to turn it off through genetic engineering prior to conception, which presents a problem for those already born.  We might be able to inhibit the enzyme with an engineered small molecule drug, but it's probably there for a reason, so there's no telling what might work less well if it were inhibited long term.  There's also the issue of cross reaction, since an inhibitor for Granzyme (the researcher's name is Granville... connected?  Grandiosity? ) might also inhibit other similar enzymes.  Still, it's an interesting long term target.  I don't think we'll be able to toss out our hats and sunscreen for a while yet, though.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

but it's probably there for a reason

Exactly my thoughts. Another metabolic processes/mechanism that is useful for normal health in a young human, but detrimental in the long term.

#4 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

There are at least three labs claiming to sell various Granzyme B inhibitors, for prices so high they could only be useful for mice testing.

I am no expert (I suspect the only expert on that enzyme is the researcher for whom the enzyme is named), but I will put forth my speculation...  I think the cause and effect hypothesis is wrong. It does not make sense to me that an enzyme responsible for protein housekeeping directly negatively affects skin wrinkling. I suspect what really happened to the Granzyme B knockout mice is that the mice compensated for the deletion of the Granzyme B enzyme by manufacturing a more biologically expensive housekeeping enzyme to replace it, and that by happenstance the more biologically expensive housekeeping enzyme works better than Granzyme B as to skin wrinkling. And that the researchers should be identifying this other enzyme with the intent of supplementing or upregulating this other enzyme.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collagengranzyme b, skin aging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users