- - - - -

Intelligent Sun Protection

cholecalciferol uvb cancer resveratrol green tea grape seed extract

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arska

• 54 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:25 PM

The UVB radiation from Sun is important to our health due to the generation of hydrophilic D3. Unfortunately the FUD propagated by the Dermatological industry is depleting our bodies of this important pre-hormone by promoting use of sun blockers. An other important effect is exposing skin to sunlight may help to reduce blood pressure, cut the risk of heart attack and stroke due to the generation of nitric oxide.

Genetically I’m a light skinned, blue eyed nordic and living in the tropics at 1km high mountain area. I sun bathe every other day for 30 mins near the time of the local zenith. According to blood exams my D3 levels are upper high  limits and my skin is not sun damaged. I wanted to share  my “sun-protocol”

When to take sun:  1AM - 2PM (near local zenith) for 30 mins. This is important as the UVB, which triggers the D3 synthesis has the maximum. Avoid taking sun before or after this time window.

Before exposure
- In the morning:  500 mg Grape Seed Extract
- In the morning: Resveratrol 500 mg
- cup of strong green tea (brewed 4-7g) and infused for 20 mins before exposure.

After exposure:
Pure aloe ver gel externally. (not every time)

You shouldn't be afraid of naturally having the benefits of the Sun.  From my opinion we need this exposure, after all, our evolution dictates so :)

Some interesting pointers (there are plenty):

J Cell Biochem. 2014 Dec 23. doi: 10.1002/jcb.25070. [Epub ahead of print]
Resveratrol Potentiates Vitamin D and Nuclear Receptor Signaling.

Mol Vis. 2014 Feb 7;20:153-62. eCollection 2014.
Epigallocatechin gallate eye drops protect against ultraviolet B-induced corneal oxidative damage in mice.

Oncol Rep. 2013 Jan;29(1):253-9. doi: 10.3892/or.2012.2083. Epub 2012 Oct 17.
Involvement of microRNAs in epigallocatechin gallate-mediated UVB protection in human dermal fibroblasts.

Arch Biochem Biophys. 2011 Apr 15;508(2):152-8. doi: 10.1016/j.abb.2010.11.015. Epub 2010 Nov 19.
Green tea prevents non-melanoma skin cancer by enhancing DNA repair.

J Invest Dermatol. 2009 May;129(5):1258-70. doi: 10.1038/jid.2008.354. Epub 2008 Nov 20.
Inhibition of UVB-induced skin tumor development by drinking green tea polyphenols is mediated through DNA repair and subsequent inhibition of inflammation.

Photomed Laser Surg. 2012 Jan;30(1):20-5. doi: 10.1089/pho.2011.3043. Epub 2011 Nov 21.
Topical grape seed proanthocyandin extract reduces sunburn cells and mutant p53 positive epidermal cell formation, and prevents depletion of Langerhans cells in an acute sunburn model.

J Photochem Photobiol B. 2013 Jan 5;118:16-21. doi: 10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2012.10.008. Epub 2012 Nov 3.
Grape seed extract as photochemopreventive agent against UVB-induced skin cancer.

Exp Dermatol. 2009 Jan;18(1):69-77. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0625.2008.00765.x. Epub 2008 Jul 9.
Green tea extract reduces induction of p53 and apoptosis in UVB-irradiated human skin independent of transcriptional controls.

Edited by arska, 31 December 2014 - 07:28 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

How do you know your skin isn't sun-damaged?  It shows up long after exposure.  Vitamin D is great, but why not just supplement it?  It's dirt cheap and then you can avoid whatever UV damage might otherwise occur.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 arska

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

@Niner: My dermatologist checks my skin yearly basis.  Of course there are the age caused wear and tear.

I have been doing this for 6 years now.  I was under the lower limit and had frequently upper respiratory infections, wich I have had only once since I started. Of course I try to adhere to the every other day schedule but due to my work it is not always posible. During time I cannot have my sun exposure I supplement with 7500 UI D3 /d  with K2 and Magnesium.

One thing is that I need the Nitric Oxide -effect, which helps me to maintain my mild hypertension in check as well. It is still hypothized but I can see the effect with the blood pressure meter.

Journal of Investigative Dermatology (20 January 2014) | doi:10.1038/jid.2014.27

UVA Irradiation of Human Skin Vasodilates Arterial Vasculature and Lowers Blood Pressure Independently of Nitric Oxide Synthase

http://www.nature.co...jid201427a.html

The incidence of hypertension and cardiovascular disease (CVD) correlates with latitude and rises in winter. The molecular basis for this remains obscure. As nitric oxide (NO) metabolites are abundant in human skin, we hypothesized that exposure to UVA may mobilize NO bioactivity into the circulation to exert beneficial cardiovascular effects independently of vitamin D.

An other point is that the UVB generated D3 is  hydrophilic and it's metabolistic effect might be different than when you get it from the pill , which is au contraire lipophilic.
Cells in the skin produce vitmin D3 sulfate upon exposure. Cells also produce cholesterol sulfate. Now Dr. Stephanie Seneff (MIT) thinks that

"Many of alleged benefits of vitamin D3 are actually benefits of cholesterol sulfate"

http://people.csail....rol_sulfate.pdf

Also she concludes:

"And in fact, I think it's the sulfated form for vitamin D that offers the protection from cancer. It strengthens your immune system. It protects you from cardiovascular disease. It's good for your brain. It helps depression. I think all of those effects of vitamin D are effects of vitamin D sulfate."

http://articles.merc...-on-sulfur.aspx

And that is the form you cannot perhapse get from the lipophilic D3 pills.

There are these other points also when you have your sun exposure in stead of popping a pill:

In 1903 Finsen received a Nobel Prize for the observation that expoure to sun was effective way to treat a variety of skin deseases including lupus

vulgaris caused by mycobacterium tuberculosis infection on the skin.

Furthermore melatonin, which is synthesized by your pineal gland, is profoundly affected by light, so a proper exposure during the day is important for maintaining your internal rhythm.

So it affects on our hormonal balance.

Finally, I have seen little evidence that sensible sun exposure during one's lifetime, which promotes adequate vitamin D/NO, would increase the risk for skin cancers.

Many studies I have seen on melanoma and other type of skin cancers were studied with mice, which are genetically "night animals" and usually do not receive UV

radiation on their skin.

Melanoma has been used as the major reason why abstinence of sun exposure is recommended by the dermatologist beliving in the sun screen Industry's message.

It is known that most melanomas can be found on the least sun exposed ares of the body. As in Lancet, it is postulated that:

http://www.thelancet...5649-3/fulltext

"Paradoxically, outdoor workers have a decreased risk of melanoma compared with indoor workers, suggesting that chronic sunlight exposure can have a protective effect."

So, does avoiding the sensible exposure to the sun make your sick? From the evolutionary standpoint I would hypothize that, yes it will.

regards,

#4 factsmachine

• 100 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

Interesting theory, with good research backing it up. It's too fucking coold here to get out in the sun but soon I will. What's with the vitamin K2, enlighten me?

#5 arska

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

@factsmachine

K2 (Menoquinone) has many physiological effects. Last few years it has been investigated as anti-cancer vitamin, but I take it in order to get the caclium out of tissues and arteries to bones with Vitamin D and Magnesium as they all are related to caclium metabolism.

[Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: The effect of vitamin K on mineralization by human periosteal osteoblasts was investigated in the absence and presence of 1alpha, 25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25(OH)2D3). Vitamin K1 and K2, but not vitamin K3, at 2.5 microM enhanced in vitro mineralization when cells were cultured with vitamin K for 20 days after reaching confluence in vitro. Vitamin K2 (2-methyl-3-all-trans-tetraphenyl-1, 4-naphthoquinone : menatetrenone) was the most potent of these vitamin K analogs; it slightly inhibited alkaline phosphatase (ALP) activity. Human osteoblasts were mineralized and showed the enhanced ALP activity on treatment with 10(-9) M of 1,25(OH)2D3 for 20 or 25 days after confluence. Vitamin K2 promoted the 1,25(OH)2D3-induced mineralization, but slightly inhibited the 1,25(OH)2D3-induced ALP activity. Moreover, vitamin K2 enhanced the 1,25(OH)2D3-induced osteocalcin accumulation in the cells and the extracellular matrix (cell layer), but inhibited the osteocalcin content in the medium produced by the 1,25(OH)2D3 treatment. However, vitamin K2 alone did not induce osteocalcin production in the human osteoblasts. On Northern blot analysis, osteocalcin mRNA expression on 1, 25(OH)2D3-treated cells was enhanced by vitamin K2 treatment, but vitamin K2 alone did not induce osteocalcin mRNA expression. Warfarin blocked both the 1,25(OH)2D3-induced osteocalcin production and the accumulation in the cell layer, and also blocked the 1, 25(OH)2D3 plus vitamin K2-induced osteocalcin production and the accumulation in the cell layer. The 1,25(OH)2D3-induced mineralization promoted by vitamin K2 was probably due to the enhanced accumulation of osteocalcin induced by vitamin K2 in the cell layer. However, we concluded that the mineralization induced by vitamin K2 alone was due to the accumulation of osteocalcin in bovine serum on the cell layer, since osteocalcin extracted from the cell layer was not identified by specific antiserum against human osteocalcin, which does not cross-react with bovine osteocalcin. These results suggest that the mechanism underlying the mineralization induced by vitamin K2 in the presence of 1,25(OH)2D3 was different from that of vitamin K2 alone, and that osteocalcin plays an important role in mineralization by osteoblasts in vitro.

regards,

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 factsmachine

• 100 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Excellent information brotha. It may even help ex smokers then. If they have plaque buildup in the arteries. I will give it a try when I get the funds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cholecalciferol, uvb, cancer, resveratrol, green tea, grape seed extract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users