Photo

How safe are dental fillings?

dental fillings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tfor

• 202 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

Unfortunately I cannot find it right now but I read a study which said dental fillings raise ROS.

I wondered how can this be? Isn't this stuff supposed to be tested for safety? I feel very uneasy about it.

Just recently I got a small filling and only a few days later this stuff was already gone! I could feel it with my tongue.

The small hole which was filled tightly after the visit was very palpable again with my tongue this means that the stuff

which the dentist smeared in there must have been removed either by brushing or chewing foods. This is just great!

This means I could as well directly have eaten this crap! :sad:

The problem is that from grinding my teeth during night I have a lot of holes in my teeth which needed to be filled cause otherwise

these holes are very vulnerable to bacteria. But how where I read this I don't want to get any new fillings.

Edited by tfor, 04 January 2015 - 09:37 AM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#2 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

I haven't met studies, that dental fillings rise ROS. The closest thing, that I know of, is something else. If you have several different metals in your mouth, because of the saliva, the metals can become a small galvanic element and to start running very small electricity in your mouth (measured in milivolts, in thousands of the volt). The electrolysis, can make some small amounts of ROS, maybe. This causes different problems, and will not age your mouth faster. You can have as many plastic (polymer, resign) fillings in your mouth, as you like.

Even if you have eaten your filling, it will don't do you a harm. It will simply go through your digestive system and will out as a small piece of undigested food. So, don't worry about that.

Obviously you had a (foto)polymer filling. What happened most likely is that the bonding did not work. The cavity, that you have, has to be filled again, but this time retentions has to be made in the cavity. Your dentist knows what retentions are, so don't worry.

#3 StephCThomp

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:20 AM

Obviously you had a (foto)polymer filling.

How is that obvious?

tfor, what type of filling was it - mercury amalgam/'silver' (= very toxic, modern day madness) or composite/tooth coloured (= not great but very much better than mercury amalgam)?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:07 AM

Obviously you had a (foto)polymer filling.

How is that obvious?

tfor, what type of filling was it - mercury amalgam/'silver' (= very toxic, modern day madness) or composite/tooth coloured (= not great but very much better than mercury amalgam)?

Composite fillings are more likely to pop out, compared to amalgam, in my experience.  Also, these days, amalgam is starting to be relatively less used as a filling material.  While we don't know for sure, it's a good bet that it was a composite material.

#5 PamelaMarrufo

• 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for that information seivtcho. I will soon be getting white fillings from a cosmetic dental clinic in Whitby ( http://www.appletond...white-fillings/ ), my dentist says that there are brownish spots on my teeth. Can these fillings be really preventative? And are they safe? I really need some advice from you all as I have never had any dental treatments before. And  tfor, was that a mercury amalgam? What did you do for the issue?

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for that information seivtcho. I will soon be getting white fillings from a cosmetic dental clinic in Whitby ( http://www.appletond...white-fillings/ ), my dentist says that there are brownish spots on my teeth. Can these fillings be really preventative? And are they safe? I really need some advice from you all as I have never had any dental treatments before. And  tfor, was that a mercury amalgam? What did you do for the issue?

When you say that you've never had any dental treatments, do you mean that you haven't been to a dentist at all, like you've never had your teeth cleaned?  If that's the case, it's likely that you have some problems.  When your dentist says that there are brownish spots, I can't help but think that he's trying to sell you an expensive tooth whitening procedure.  If you have cavities, then fillings, if they are done properly, will halt the progression of the decay.  In that regard, they are preventative of further damage.   Hundreds of millions of people have had fillings without ill effect, so, they have a pretty good safety record.   There are people on the internet who will claim that amalgam fillings are the source of all badness in the universe, and a few will make similar claims about pretty much any dental procedure.  I'd recommend that you ignore them.  An intact natural tooth is the best situation, but a composite filling is a hell of a lot better than letting a cavity decay into the root and losing the tooth.

The dental practice that you linked seems to have a pretty large emphasis on cosmetics, which concerns me a bit.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a second opinion, perhaps from a practice that's more focused on preventive dentistry and less on cosmetics. 

• Informative x 1

#7 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

Get a second opinion and inform the dentist that you want that. And get X-rays from them so they are not needlessly retaken. No unwanted X-rays please ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dental fillings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users