- - - - -

Ready for sleep drugs, give some advice please

insomnia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

So I am ready for sleep drugs and will see a doctor ASAP for that. Have been trying supplements, sleep hygiene and a plethora of things like "grounding" these years which have from minimal to inexistent effect. For the knowledgeable people here, my sleep problems include sleep onset insomnia (no drowsiness at night), sleep fragmentation (5 hours 1 hour 1 hour 1 hour is the dominant structure) and havent had truly refreshing sleep in like 4 years now.

Now, I tried Valium and that gave me a panic attack. Then I tried Diphenhydramine and that worked beautifully only for sleep onset but just a few days, plus it doesnt make you feel that good. I have also tried Trazadone because it is highly regarded by some and also comically attracted by accounts of near-priapism during sleep. It gave me throat pain for a week, and of course, sleep was shit as it always is. No lang lasting boners appeared to my dismay.

What do you recommend? No benzos and no SSRI´s, we can agree on that right. Something that doesnt fuck up my brain, I mean, something that doesnt harm the brain MORE than sleep deprivation does.

Someone adviced Modafinil but apparently isnt that for daytime sleepiness?

#2 3mp0w3r

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

Modafanil is more of a stimulant.  It is not for sleeping!  

What is the issue?   Staying awake too late (ie. not falling asleep) or waking up during the night?

I have used melatonin but it can leave you groggy.  Some people swear by it though.  Your reaction might be different to mine.  From what I understand, the doses are usually too high in typical capsules.

I stopped using it because I felt it was messing with me too much.

I have used a sedating anti-histamine (doxyalamine succinate).  It is over the counter here.  But it leaves you very groggy and I have read that it can affect memory negatively.  

One thing I used to do was heavy weight training at about 10pm.  I would come home, and have a high protein shake and sleep great.  (High protein/low calorie meal just before bed by itself can help).  

They say not to exercise at night.  But that is cardio.  Doing heavy weight training tires you out in a different way.  

Otherwise there are herbal remedies like phenibut and 5HT.  Other people one this forum will know more about this. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

Yeah I have tried all of these, eating before bed seemingly helps a bit.

I just want people to suggest meds and I will try each of them with the doc. I have the appointment later in the day, hope someone chimes in. 

Not that I am unable to research options on my own but I prefer some feedback.

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 13 January 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#4 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Theralen

Propiomazine

Seroquel

Maybe you haven't tried lowering the temperature of where you sleep, or take a warm bath before going to bed.

Edited by Keizo, 13 January 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#5 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

If you're adamant about the prescription route, you could try Z-drugs I guess, though they never worked for me (just would stay awake and enjoy the high, no sleepiness whatsoever).

e.g.: Ambien, Lunesta

#6 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Got a prescription for Gabapentin and a Z-drug I don´t recall.

I have avoided drugs for 4 years, but nothing I have tried alternative has helped and I am sick of looking aged and sad, of feeling trashed day after day. You StevesPetRat know that even Lecithin made my sleep and daily symptoms worse.

I will give Bacopa, Chlorella and Aswagandha a week more and after that first Gabapentin, then the other one. BTW Chlorella is awesome for energy and especially gut healing, wont stop taking.

If Gabapentin fails I will try Pregabalin and Tiagabalin, all of these proven to increase SWS. Taking drugs long term is not in my mind right now, but short term help is crucial.

http://onlinelibrary...002.21002.x/pdf

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 13 January 2015 - 06:28 PM.

#7 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

Valium gave you a panic attack? I think that could be considered a pretty rare "paradoxical reaction".

#8 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

Modafanil is more of a stimulant.  It is not for sleeping!

Daytime sleepiness, means "sleepy in the day", which Modafinil is good for since it increases the activity of wakefulness-neurohormone called "hypocretin", or "Orexin".

Got a prescription for Gabapentin and a Z-drug I don´t recall.

I have avoided drugs for 4 years, but nothing I have tried alternative has helped and I am sick of looking aged and sad, of feeling trashed day after day. You StevesPetRat know that even Lecithin made my sleep and daily symptoms worse.

I will give Bacopa, Chlorella and Aswagandha a week more and after that first Gabapentin, then the other one. BTW Chlorella is awesome for energy and especially gut healing, wont stop taking.

If Gabapentin fails I will try Pregabalin and Tiagabalin, all of these proven to increase SWS. Taking drugs long term is not in my mind right now, but short term help is crucial.

http://onlinelibrary...002.21002.x/pdf

Z-drugs seems to be interesting, though i have heard rumors about Z-drugs only working for (at most) a couple of weeks before losing its effectiveness, a shame if true since Z-drugs only serve to induce sleep, not change the sleep-architecture, like benzodazepines does. Which leads me on to Benzodiazepines, stay away from them if you want good sleep, as studies have shown, benzodiazepine drugs used for insomnia and sleep decreases REM-sleep and disrupt phase/stage-4 sleep, which is said to be the most important part of the sleep for the brain and subsequently, wakefulness during the day, (leading the user to be sleepy and tired daytime).

Then there are anti-histamines for sleep, for some, they do wonders for their sleep, for other (like me), it does work for sleep, but cause sleepiness the next day, and some cognitive deficits in attention and memory.

Not saying they dont work for everyone, but in my personal exprerience, not that great.

Of course there are other drugs, (out of my knowledge-base), that i know is prescribed in some cases, like Rohypnol or GHB, but that's not as common as antihistamines or Z-drugs.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 HoldingTheFaith

• Topic Starter
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

Valium gave you a panic attack? I think that could be considered a pretty rare "paradoxical reaction".

Well getting throat pain for a week after a single 50 mg dose of Trazadone isn´t exactly usual either.

Yeah, I stayed up all night holding the hand of a relative lol I felt like the floor was moving and impending doom hovering close.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insomnia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users