- - - - -

Effect of Premature Birth - ADHD/Focus/Concentration Issues

adhd premature birth executive functioning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chris87

• 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with premature birth as a possible cause of ADHD symptoms.  My understanding is that there is a relationship, but I don't understand the specifics.  I am asking, because I seem to have difficulty with executive functioning.  I was born 2 months early and weighed approximately 3.5 lbs.  Is it possible that this has contributed to my problems?  I don't know if preterm birth may have affected my brain development or caused some other deficiency (dopamine issues, structural abnormalities, etc).  Does being born very early cause certain changes in the brain?

I have severe issues with focus, concentration, and procrastination.  I usually cannot motivate myself to do a task, unless there is a severe consequence or specific deadline.  In order to be successful, I need a structured environment.  Otherwise, I never follow through with a task, have difficulty making decisions (get completely overwhelmed), and struggle with daily obligations.

I have taken stimulants in the past (MPH/AMP), but they were only marginally effective.  I've also tried numerous supplements with limited success: Rhodiola, ALCAR, L-Tyrosine, Ashwagandha, L-Glutamine, Piracetam, Oxiracetam, CDP-Choline, Vinpocetine, Ginkgo, DMAE, Huperzine, 5-HTP, L-Tryptopan, etc.

I appreciate any input.

#2 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

I feel ya brother. Born 2 months early and droped down to around 2 lbs. I will post some papers a bit later.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:40 PM

Sorry I'm too tired to go into futher detail right now. Here are a couple of links to take a look at:

Moderate and late preterm birth: effect on brain size and maturation at term-equivalent age.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24914576

A multivariate surface-based analysis of the putamen in premature newborns: regional differences within the

ventral striatum.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23843961

Edited by Metagene, 24 January 2015 - 09:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adhd, premature birth, executive functioning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users