Supplements Going Rancid

supplement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:14 PM

Hello there, I've had this problem for a while now. Supplements going rancid.

I bought Nature's Best Ginkgo Biloba several times now. Same for LEF two per day. I live in Britain so the weather is not at all hot.

I've had problems with both these supplements going off. I had problems with Nature's Way EGB761 too. I think I started to realise because they are high quality brands, so the new bottle effect was noticeable compared to one that was starting to degrade.

When fresh the Nature's Best is even better than the Nature's way, so I'm noticing it even more.

I can tell they have gone off because:

(a) The Ginkgo tablets changed taste (less bitter) and texture (less firm so they didn't go "crunch" as much).

(b) The "whoosh" feeling and firm skin I get from Ginkgo is lessened.

© The LEF capsules changed taste from OK to pukeworthy. 

(d) The LEF capsules changed colour from pale yellow to dark yellow. 

Can anyone give tips to me on how to store supplements? Currently I'm keeping every different type bottle I have to experiment as I try desperately to stop these two supplements from going off. I recently had the Ginkgo start to go off after TWO WEEKS!!

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:52 AM

I have a few supplements I buy in bulk, some of which are perishable (PPC).

I have a number of smaller screw-top containers, much like the old 35mm film canisters (if you're under 40, you may not know what this is!).  They are actually urine specimen containers I salvaged from work in healthcare.  

Whenever I get a new bottle of product, as soon as I crack the seal, I immediately dispense the entire bottle into about half a dozen of these smaller containers and cap them tightly.  Each of these little vials lasts a couple of weeks, after which I simply rotate to the next vial.  

Works a treat...  A continuous supply of fresh pills purchased in bulk.  Don't know where you might find yourself some of these little containers, but if you know any nurses or healthcare workers, they might be able to scrounge you some specimen cups/containers which are the perfect size.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

I had a similar idea (dumping into many smaller containers) myself. I don't know what those containers are, do you have a picture?

This most recent bottle of Ginkgo Biloba I've put into two separate screwtops which feel like they close very tight. They are also quite dark if that helps. I've put them in the freezer at -18 (I'm trying to get it a bit warmer, don't want it to freeze shut).

I'm using Swanson Reishi bottles. I noticed the Reishi (again, a supplement I can feel an effect from so I can tell if its starting to go) lasted quite well in those.

I'm starting to think screwtops >>> clicktops.

I'm also quite certain that whoever I read say "don't worry about supplements going off unless you live in a warm climate" was talking absolute garbage!!

Edited by Skyguy2005, 21 January 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:52 AM

I think your supplements might be suffering from excessive moisture in the air.  It doesn't take much.  You can store them with silica gel drying packs in the bottles, or perhaps keep all the bottles in a large sealed container with drying compound.  I dispense two weeks worth of pills at a time, stored in large pill sorters.  These are not airtight, and after a couple days I could definitely see a difference in some of the supplements. Then I started storing the pill sorters in airtight ziplock bags with some drying packets, and my problems were solved.

If you refrigerate bottles of supplements, you must let them warm up to room temperature before you open them, or you'll get condensation in the bottle.  Since you don't live in a hot climate, I'd skip the refrigeration and concentrate on keeping them dry.

• Good Point x 1

#5 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

I usually take raw powders.  Out of all i've taken only two have obviously spoiled: ginkgo and phosphatidylserine.  Both tend to clump together with moisture if exposed to any air.  Ginkgo forms into hard 'stones' that are really hard to break!

#6 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

I think your supplements might be suffering from excessive moisture in the air.  It doesn't take much.  You can store them with silica gel drying packs in the bottles, or perhaps keep all the bottles in a large sealed container with drying compound.  I dispense two weeks worth of pills at a time, stored in large pill sorters.  These are not airtight, and after a couple days I could definitely see a difference in some of the supplements. Then I started storing the pill sorters in airtight ziplock bags with some drying packets, and my problems were solved.

If you refrigerate bottles of supplements, you must let them warm up to room temperature before you open them, or you'll get condensation in the bottle.  Since you don't live in a hot climate, I'd skip the refrigeration and concentrate on keeping them dry.

Thanks, so what exactly are these drying packs? Is that what the white packets that come with some supplements saying "freshness pack: do not eat" are?

The LEF two per day (but not my Ginkgo Biloba) had a freshness pack already. It still went off, albeit after a couple of months.

Edited by Skyguy2005, 22 January 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

I do all these things too. It works. Also be careful to fully remove the safety seal. If you leave even a small part of it, the cap won't seal properly and moisture can get in.

Gel packs are cheap at Amazon--http://www.amazon.co...ords=silica gel

• Informative x 2

#8 bobz1lla

• 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

You might consider Ginkgo in liquid tincture form.  I find it more efficient and noticeable than the dry extracts.  Gaia is the only liquid source I've tried though, but I am happy with it so far.

#9 Skyguy2005

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

So far adding drying packets hasn't helped much. Freezer Ginkgo seems to be faring better than room temp Ginkgo. Fridge LEF 2 per day is not faring so well now.

Ginkgo has 180 caps per bottle. I use it pretty fast but going bad is still a problem. LEF 2 per day has 120 caps per bottle and I eat 1 per day, no way that will last 4 months.

So currently I'm simply wasting supplements as I cannot keep them fresh. I will try those ziplock bags you suggested and let you know what happens.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 NilsOlav

• 82 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

Consider Ginkgo Biloba tea. The one on amazon is quite delicious  :laugh:  Also has a small amount of rhodiola extract in it too:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000CMIYYA/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users