• 1,172 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:55 AM

On various forums I have noticed messages like

Alcar is good for mitochondria

Alcar needs to be taken with antioxidants

Alcar needs to be taken with ALA although that is a prooxidant

Alcar by itself is damaging

Alcar by itself is fine in doses under a certain amount such as 1,000mg

Do any of these tell how it actually is?  I take Alcar with a few other things but would benefit by knowing if I need to take it with certain things.

#2 PFM18

• 24 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

I'm curious about this too. I think there may have been a study that debunked the ALA being necessary. But this website mentioned that you need to take SAMe with it. http://suppversity.b...-iv_17.html?m=1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:26 AM

Alcar doesn't have to be combined with anything if you are taking sane doses.  There was an early Ames paper where they used a human equivalent dose of 12 grams, and there was ROS production.  They added lipoic acid to deal with the ROS.  They later found that ALCAR worked even better at lower doses, and didn't produce ROS.  Typical human doses of alcar are 0.5 to 2g/day.  If you're in this range, you don't need lipoic acid.  You could add it if you want, as there is apparently some benefit from the combination aside from redox issues.  I've been using alcar for years at a dose of 1g/day without LA. 

#4 PFM18

• 24 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:29 AM

Alcar doesn't have to be combined with anything if you are taking sane doses. There was an early Ames paper where they used a human equivalent dose of 12 grams, and there was ROS production. They added lipoic acid to deal with the ROS. They later found that ALCAR worked even better at lower doses, and didn't produce ROS. Typical human doses of alcar are 0.5 to 2g/day. If you're in this range, you don't need lipoic acid. You could add it if you want, as there is apparently some benefit from the combination aside from redox issues. I've been using alcar for years at a dose of 1g/day without LA.

and ALCAR doesn't give you an overstimulated/jittery feeling?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:35 AM

I'm curious about this too. I think there may have been a study that debunked the ALA being necessary. But this website mentioned that you need to take SAMe with it. http://suppversity.b...-iv_17.html?m=1

They didn't say you needed to take SAMe with it, they said that SAMe was involved in the synthesis of it.  So it's more like you might want to take SamE if you DON'T take ALCAR.

#6 Hux

• 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:08 AM

Iirc many take Alcar with choline to improve it's effects, which for me are mild.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 PFM18

• 24 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

They didn't say you needed to take SAMe with it, they said that SAMe was involved in the synthesis of it. So it's more like you might want to take SamE if you DON'T take ALCAR.

Oh, my bad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcar, antioxidant, ala, dose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users