• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Nervousness/anxiousness of "normal" amount of sleep. Possible?

sleep anxiousness

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

Hi

I am experiencing something strange, and I wonder if any of you know why this happens.

Normally I go to sleep at ten, and sleeps until 0530, getting a total amount of 7.5 hours, which is within the "recommended" range of energy and health.

At 1000 I am feeling normally sleepy, and at 0530 I am feeling ok.

Sometimes, for extraordinary reasons, I am not able to go to bed before 1200, and sleeps until 0530, which is 5.5 hours, i.e. below the recommended hours.

At 1200 I am feeling very tired, and at 0530 I feel like I need a couple of more hours.

However; when I am sleeping 7.5 hours my working days are normally paired with an elevated level of nervousness and anxiousness. I am not feeling on top mentally.

When I sleep only 5.5 hours, I can feel that I am absolutely more "tired", but all the same I am far less nervous and far less anxious, and are thus able to work "better" than usual.

Should it not be the other way around? Any reason why this happens?

#2 sparkk51

• 418 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

When your body lacks sleep, the brain releases dopamine and norepinephrine to stay awake. Although these can contribute to nervousness and anxiety, my experiences tell me the opposite can be true.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheWorldAroundUs

• 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:49 AM

From what i've seen, Sleep deprivation seems to downregulate or desensitize dopamine and beta-adrenergic receptors, as well as causing a slight increase of extracellular serotonin. So I can see why you feel less anxious when sleep deprived, either you have too much activity at beta-adrenergic or dopamine receptors or you have a serotonin deficiency or both. Try taking L-tryptophan(serotonin precursor) the next time you are fully rested and see how much it helps with that anxiousness/nervousness, don't be afraid to play around with the doses so long as you get no side effects, if it doesn't work you can look into 5-htp, just make sure to use it very sparingly due to heart concerns.

Sources:(Beta-adrenergic receptors: http://www.sciencedi...091305786902571, Serotonin: http://www.journalsleep.org/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=28713 and others, Dopamine: http://www.jneurosci.org/content/32/19/6711)

#4 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Thanks both for your answers. Very interesting to know. I will try L-tryptophan. This is supposed to taken before you go to bed?

Edited by JohnDoe999, 27 January 2015 - 07:59 AM.

#5 JohnDoe999

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

I will, most likely, have to wait a month or so before receiving L-tryptophan after ordering. I see that I have some GABA lying around. Will they have some of the same effect?

#6 TheWorldAroundUs

• 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

I will, most likely, have to wait a month or so before receiving L-tryptophan after ordering. I see that I have some GABA lying around. Will they have some of the same effect?

For most people GABA does not cross the Blood Brain Barrier(Get Inside the brain) so its effects would be limited to placebo. But for a limited amount of people they have a permeable(damaged) BBB which allows the GABA molecule at which point it could be helpful. You can try it out definitely if its all you have, just try to get your hands on some L-tryptophan and 5-htp if you can.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Ok555

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

2JohnDoe999

same thing with me, after sleeping 3-4 hours i am as calm as on ssri's, but a bit unmotivated and tired. But damn, maybe its better then all this anti-anxiety stuff which a fill myself with.

Im gonna try polyphasic sleep soon so that i can sleep 7-8 hours a day but splitted in to two or free phases so that i still have enough energy to be productive but at the same time not too much energy to be too anxious. 

Check it,- http://www.polyphasi...leep/overviews/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep, anxiousness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users