- - - - -

Milk thistle and curcumin

milk thistle curcumin inflammation liver histamine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Just Kelly

• 34 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

Is it okay to take these two together? I have both herbs in forms bound to phosphatidyl choline. I am using them for general health purposes. I have histamine intolerance and inflammation (as evidenced by lower back pain, joint pain) but this has resolved with meriva curcumin. Just received my siliphos (milk thistle)
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#2 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

Should be fine. Two well known, commonly used herbs.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Just Kelly

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:24 AM

Here's part of a review
"We searched PUBMED for articles pertaining to the in vitro and in vivo effects of silybin, its antifibrotic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties, as well as its metabolic effects, combined with the authors' own knowledge of the literature. Results indicate that the bioavailability of silybin phytosome is higher than that of silymarin and is less influenced by liver damage; silybin does not show significant interactions with other drugs and at doses < 10 g/d has no significant side effects. Experimental studies have clearly demonstrated the antifibrotic, antioxidant and metabolic effects of silybin; previous human studies were insufficient for confirming the clinical efficacy in chronic liver disease, while ongoing clinical trials are promising. On the basis of literature data, silybin seems a promising drug for chronic liver disease."
  • like x 1

#4 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

I've never heard of herbs being bound to phosphatidyl choline, does this make it more bioavailable? If not then you'll need piperine with the curcumin. Piperine is the cheapest supplement I've ever purchased. I paid a 1.75 for a gram, which is enough to last a year.

#5 Just Kelly

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:16 AM

Yes.
"The inclusion of curcumin in a lipophilic matrix (Phyto- somes, Curcumin:Soy Lecithin:Microcrystalline Cellulose 1:2:2, CP) has been shown to increase the relative hu- man absorption of curcumin by 19.2-fold [26]."
It seems to work better for me than curcumin with bioperine/ black pepper extract
  • WellResearched x 1

#6 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Thanks. I'll look into that. I've been taking it with piperine and haven't noticed anything one way or another, but I take so many different things that it's impossible for me to feel anything that isn't like a full-blown drug. It sounds like it would be expensive, though... Can you give a product name so I can search it more readily?

As for that combination of herbs, no probs. I've been taking curcumin, milk thistle, ginger extract, cayenne, green tea extract, and about 2 dozen other herbs every day for a few years. No probs, except I think my intestinal flora have been screwed up from all the powders I consume, which they didn't evolve to handle.

By the way, whoever marked your first comment as "pointless, time-wasting" is an ass hat. Seriously. You asked a perfectly legit question and you asked it clearly and intelligently. Maybe someone who doesn't understand the nature of this forum was expecting that every thread would consist entirely of announcements of ground-breaking discoveries that pertain directly to his/her interests, and got freaked out about the fact that you were asking a question instead of offering the key to eternal life. Who knows. Online behavior is so bizarre and inexplicable.

Edited by deeptrance, 03 February 2015 - 04:06 PM.

• like x 2

#7 Just Kelly

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

Haha didnt notice that. Don't care either! The name of the product is Jarrow Curcumin Phytosome 500 mg. It's like 12.50 or something for 60 capsules. Here's a link http://m.iherb.com/J...-Capsules/49382

#8 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the info, that's a great price! I wonder if piperine would be of any use with this form of curcumin.

#9 Just Kelly

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

I worry about piperine that's why I switched to this form. Doesn't it stop the detoxing of some things??? Idk

#10 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

Hmm, that would make sense. I presume it's making the gut less selective about what it allows to pass into the blood stream, so it's like opening the door for a lot of other chemicals and not just for the target chemical. I need to do some more reading about this. The piperine I have says to use a dosage between 2 and 5 mg, and not to exceed 20 mg per day. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Just Kelly

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:58 AM

From examine.com:
A process in the liver called glucuronidation, which attaches a molecule (glucuronide) to drugs to signal for their urinary excretion, is inhibited with piperine. This process prevents excessive levels of drugs and supplements in the body, but sometimes inhibits all uptake and renders some supplements useless. In the scenario of piperine ingestion, excretion of supplements is hindered and certain drugs and supplements can bypass this regulatory stage (as not all are subject to it).

This is good in some cases, as Piperine is required to give Curcumin to the extremities rather than it getting consumed by glucuronidation in the liver. However, in some other cases it can lead to elevated levels of certain drugs in the blood. Again, elevated could be good or bad depending on context; regardless, caution should be taken when approaching this compound.

I take a lot of drugs and supplements, I don't want to decrease the metabolism of my liver
  • Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: milk thistle, curcumin, inflammation, liver, histamine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users