• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Breaking down peripheral serotonin?

serotonin vasoconstriction blueberries blood flow oh my god miley cyrus was really hannah montana all along

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:07 AM

Just curious if there are any known ways to increase the breakdown of peripheral serotonin (preferably, though central reduction would be tolerable if necessary). The particular motivation is to reduce excess ingested from dietary sources of preformed serotonin (e.g. seeds of some fruits).

#2 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

I see this topic has gotten a lot of views but no reply so far. Maybe it's because there isn't enough information provided in the OP. Can you say specifically what is being consumed and why you believe that excess serotonin is present in the specific seeds you're referring to? And why is it even a problem in your mind to consume it? I've been eating walnuts every day for many years and they're fairly high in serotonin, yet there are no health warnings about this and I've never encountered any problems with it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mindpatch

• 120 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:38 AM

Tianeptine is the first that comes to mind.

#4 StevesPetRat

• Topic Starter
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:36 AM

Maybe it's because there isn't enough information provided in the OP. Can you say specifically what is being consumed and why you believe that excess serotonin is present in the specific seeds you're referring to? And why is it even a problem in your mind to consume it?

Sorry, I skipped all that with the intent of making the post of broader interest. But if it helps:

What is being consumed: a variety of berries and some bananas

Why excess serotonin is believed present: After a "Bad Year", I gave 5HTP another try (previous to that year it had just made me sleepy). A 100 mg dose produced finger and toe pain (vasoconstrictive I believe), increased GI motility, headache, worsened twitching, mild fever, and the sensation of having a thousand tiny rubber bands tightened around my intestines (best way to describe the pinched up feeling). I gave it another try a week later, same deal. So I acquired some experience of what excessive peripheral serotonin might feel like. The fruit has micro- and phytonutrients I want, but I'm starting to get a lesser version of the above -- the toe and finger pain, lesser but still unpleasant GI pain and motility, and headaches. The GI sensation is very distinctive. Of course this could somehow be a consequence of fermentation driven on by increased sugar intake rather than direct consumption.

Why is it a problem: in addition to the above, serotonin is a fatigue-inducing agent and can cause cardiac remodeling (fibrosis). Citations available if needed when I get back on the laptop.

Personally, Tianeptine is currently off the table as I'm trialing LDN. Plus I'm not sure it really burns up serotonin; I thought it just increased its binding to platelets.

What will I do to test this idea: take some slightly expired trazodone found after unpacking from a recent move.

Thanks for any input, including not-so-subtle inquiries into the non-functionality of my mental faculties. Also such a substance might be useful for IBS-D...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

Niacinamide in high doses
  • Needs references x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: serotonin, vasoconstriction, blueberries, blood flow, oh my god miley cyrus was really hannah montana all along

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users