- - - - -

Repair hearing loss?

hearing loss repair tinnitus

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NilsOlav

• 82 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:39 AM

I stood next to a speaker at a loud concert a few months ago...my right ear has never been the same since. For a good 7-14 days after the concert, all sound in my right ear was muffled...then the muffled noise slowly changed to persistent tinnitus, and now the tinnitus is barely noticeable, but I do think sound coming to my right ear may be a little bit quieter. Are there any supplements out there that can help reverse hearing loss and/or tinnitus?

Edited by NilsOlav, 10 February 2015 - 12:40 AM.

#2 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:04 AM

Look into piracetam and gingko to manage tinnitus, but any really big loss is probably irreversible...
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 oppenheimer82

• 54 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

what about nicotinamide riboside?

• Disagree x 2

#4 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

There are things that get mentioned with the regular ones being marginally effective often.

There are herbs and stuff that people will say to try like grape seed extract and ginkgo.  Usually the most recommended substances are NAC which restores amounts of a chemical denoted glutathione you use to fix your ears, and that can be taken to produce it.  Noise depletes glutathione.  This is taken with alcar,  You can google these and read about how the military uses these together before and after sound exposure to prevent hearing problems.  Your exposure was recent so you may get benefit from it now so try to get some when you can, like now, and start taking it.

Pycnogenol is suggested along with vinpocetine which you may not want to take.  Lipoflavinoid is well known but it's really just marketing and I don't think it's intended for tinnitus other than that which is caused by a specific condition.

I think magnesium has been linked to hearing issues. If you don't have the amount you need it might causes symptoms. Magnesium aspartate is supposed to help fix hearing problems furthermore it's related to aspartame so you might decide to hold off and try another type.

You have to be careful with some stuff though because you can't just like go buy grape seed extract because some of them are just ground up parts of whatever and others have specific percentages of the effective parts.

Then there are options like white noise with the frequency of your tinnitis removed which can affect how your ears hear it.

Alcohol depletes it and you might want to avoid that.

Edited by ironfistx, 11 February 2015 - 07:36 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

I wonder how much of my present high frequency hearing loss is due to excessively loud concerts?  I remember eventually walking out of one concert because it was ear-splitting, and my ears were ringing.  Now the ringing never stops.  (And it was just a crappy opening act!)  Parents and schools should teach kids the danger of noise exposure, and frankly I'd like to see some civil judgements brought against bands, promoters, and venue owners responsible for wrecking people's hearing.  Good musicians don't need to amp their music to death and distort the hell out of it.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 2

#6 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:39 PM

There have been huge advancements in cochlear implants and other biotech. Definitely look into that if you haven't.

I do know NR is good for prevention but not cure of noise related hearing loss, though there needs to be more research to confirm this.

#7 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Any nmda glutamate partial agonist or antagonist could potentially prevent hearing loss, but once you lose those brain cells then it's hard to see how you'd get them back even with stem cell treatment.. G-d knows..

#8 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

It's not lost brain cells that are the problem, it's lost hair cells in the inner ear.

These guys may have found a route to grow new hair cells using a small molecule.  

Clonal Expansion of Lgr5-Positive Cells from Mammalian Cochlea and High-Purity Generation of Sensory Hair Cells

Popular media article:

Study Shows Hair Cell Regrowth with New Drug

• Informative x 1

#9 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

Yeah I've restored hearing loss in many people.
I have medical record proof at NHS too. It's easy.
First remove poisons from the diet. Gluten, aspartame, mercury, fluorides, antisurfacants, you get the idea.
Next ensure minerals are taken including: iodine, boron, diatomaceous earth, magnesium,zinc,etc.
These minerals catalyse food, parasites, waste, all toxins and need cofactors big time. So Methylated B vits, natural c. P5p and PC(choline) will rebuild the ear, but k2 and oils can be in demand. Niacinamide can enhance immunity effectiveness 5000 fold, especially if iodine levels are good. Gamma E works inside cells. Magnesium helps absorbsion of B vits, Boron in the kidneys stops them losing B vits, no more bright yellow water loss? Manganese thickens blood, omega 3 6 9 twice a week, rice, eggs, msm, zinc orotate, L-Histidine, L-Serine, Selenium, Acytl Glutathione. All help, Glutathion is the mover and shaker.
Warning
Only use quarter dosing as having scare tissue removed all at once by an active(read 'well fed') immune system in not nice. Muscles pull, tendons shrink, fat goes, neuropathy, etc.
Amino acids maybe used, but if zinc p5p and Vit C are ok consider the diet for protein sources.
I hope this comes through loud and clear.
  • Needs references x 3

#10 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

Oh d3 too, it effects gene expression, and inner ear growth! Sulphur animos can boost growth to the ear. Liver function makes aminos, so vanadium and p5p will help.
What works for you is one thing, two things, or everything, you decide, be your own master.
  • Needs references x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#11 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:05 AM

I found followups on this at Fight Aging but not from a Google search:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23312516

https://www.fightagi...r-ear/#comments

I also found this thread:

https://www.longecit...l-regeneration/

Same issue but how would anyone get EGCG or Curcumin to the target area? I'm pretty sure an inhibitor would have to be injected directly into the cochlea because otherwise, my oral consumption of EGCG in addition to bioavailability potentiators for EGCG would have done something. I also took a lot of curcumin. No hearing improvement.

Edited by Nate-2004, 28 January 2019 - 05:11 AM.

#12 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

Normally they pierce the ear drum with a needle and inject into the middle ear near the oval and round window.  You don't ever want to pierce the cochlea or the vestibule as this can cause major problems (and would be highly unpleasant to say the least).  You basically are counting on whatever medication you are injecting perfusing into the inner ear, which works reasonably well, particularly if it's a small molecule.  Normally you are laying on your side and stay there for awhile so that the medication lays up on the inner ear and doesn't run down your eustachian tube.  They then flip you over and do the other side.

I've had corticosteroids injected this way and it's unpleasant when they pierce the eardrum but bearable.  

• Informative x 1

#13 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

I emailed Robert Langer who is in charge of this whole effort at MIT, hopefully he's got an update. I would love to regain my ability to hear 13,250 to 20,000 hz

#14 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, me too.

And I'm going to correct something I said.  Apparently some of them that are doing gene deliver do inject through the round window into the cochlea (so through the eardrum then through the round window).  The guys delivering a small molecule (see my post above) potentially can just go through the eardrum and lay the medication up against the round window and let it perfuse.

I like the small molecule approach because of this reason.

Unfortunately the only way you or I are likely to get access to this anytime soon is to engage in some medical tourism if someone sets up shop somewhere with a drug approval process more reasonable than our FDA.  This will take years to get through the FDA.

Let us know what Langer says if he replies.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 29 January 2019 - 09:47 PM.

#15 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

He responded back with "Some. You might look at frequency therapeutics which licensed the technology "

Here is their website: http://www.frequencytx.com/

#16 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, I've been watching them.  

I only need "some" improvement so I'm very interested.

#17 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

Thank you for contacting Frequency Therapeutics, and we appreciate your interest in our company.  Frequency Therapeutics develops small molecule drugs that activate progenitor cells within the body to restore healthy tissue. Progenitor cells are the natural sources of tissues throughout your body and remain present through adulthood. Through the transitory activation of these progenitor cells, Frequency enables disease modification without the complexity of genetic engineering. Our therapies use proprietary combinations of small-molecule drugs to cause dormant progenitor cells to multiply and create new cells.

Please be aware that it is important that you not discuss your condition with anyone at our organization. We take very seriously the privacy of all individuals that may be participants in ongoing or future clinical trials that we sponsor, as we are legally bound by the rules as set forth in the 1996 HIPAA act. We encourage you to discuss your condition and your interest in trial participation with your healthcare providers, since your potential candidacy is based on their medical evaluation of your health status. Please appreciate that we are not able to discuss this matter with you any further based on the information we’ve provided herein.

Again, at this time we are unable to provide you with any additional details on the status of our programs.  As Frequency Therapeutics is a privately held biotechnology company and not a medical provider, Federal Regulations prohibit the sharing of any information between our two parties.  If you would like to stay informed about Frequency Therapeutics and any ongoing clinical trials evaluating our drug candidates, please refer to www.clinicaltrials.gov.  You may search by disease, location of clinical trials, or by the name of the company sponsoring the clinical trials.  Additionally, you can reference the latest press releases available on our website www.frequencytx.com for information regarding upcoming or ongoing clinical trials.  Thank you again for reaching out and we wish you well.

:blink:

Basically they're not going to tell us, I'll keep an eye on Clinicaltrials for something like this but not sure exactly what it'd be called. Most currently have to do with implants so those are out.

#18 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

Hey, maybe in a decade or so you'll be able to get this treatment.

Rest easy knowing that the FDA is looking out for the drug companies your best interests.

#19 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:07 AM

Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2011; 7: 441–447.

Published online 2011 Jul 28. doi: 10.2147/NDT.S22793
PMCID: PMC3157487

PMID: 21857784
  Ginkgo biloba extract in the treatment of tinnitus: a systematic review

Abstract

Tinnitus is a symptom frequently encountered by ear, nose, and throat practitioners. A causal treatment is rarely possible, and drug and nondrug treatment options are limited. One of the frequently prescribed treatments is Ginkgo bilobaextract. Therefore, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials of Ginkgo bilobaextract preparations were searched for and reviewed systematically. There is evidence of efficacy for the standardized extract, EGb 761® (Dr Willmar Schwabe GmbH & Co KG Pharmaceuticals, Karlsruhe, Germany), in the treatment of tinnitus from three trials in patients in whom tinnitus was the primary complaint. Supportive evidence comes from a further five trials in patients with age-associated cognitive impairment or dementia in whom tinnitus was present as a concomitant symptom. As yet, the efficacy of other ginkgo preparations has not been proven, which does not necessarily indicate ineffectiveness, but may be due to flawed clinical trials. In conclusion, EGb 761®, a standardized Ginkgo biloba extract, is an evidence-based treatment option in tinnitus.

Tebonin Egb 761 gingko extract has shown to be effective. Whole herb gingko likely isn't going to cut it. 

https://www.amazon.c...eywords=EGb 761

Edited by Phoebus, 31 January 2019 - 12:10 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:29 AM

Tebonin Egb 761 gingko extract has shown to be effective. Whole herb gingko likely isn't going to cut it. 

https://www.amazon.c...eywords=EGb 761

Interestingly:

As a dietary supplement, Nature's Way in the US distributes and markets a standardised extract of Ginkgo biloba leaves (the EGb 761 Formula) under the name Gingold Nature's Way.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12757407

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hearing loss, repair, tinnitus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users