Alternative to Bupropion or good addon to Sertraline

bupropion sertraline

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 metabrain

• 302 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hi,

I am currently taking Sertraline 25mg which is fantastic for my memory but I get side effects such as sexual dysfunction, anxiety and panic attacks. I was told Bupropion is the recommended addon but the Irish psychiatrists refuse to prescribe it to me as things are very locked down here. Is there another pharmacological addon which I could try that I could get on prescription with similar effects to Bupropion or perhaps something that works well with Sertraline?

It must be a prescription medication and not a supplement or nootropic as my psychiatrists will only support prescribed medication.

#2 NeuroNootropic

• 239 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

You could try asking for Buspirone, but I'm not sure why bupropion isn't being prescribed. It's not a drug that you can abuse unless you inject it like that homeless guy from Toronto and also get infections on your skin. Do you have Zyban in your country? Ask for that, it's bupropion but it's for people quitting smoking.

Modafinil is another option that's quite good and has few side effects.

Since you're getting anxiety and sexual dysfunction I don't think bupropion would be a good choice as it tends to increase anxiety. Buspirone is your best option, it's anxiolytic and enhances sexual function.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 metabrain

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

I was looking at Buspirone on reddit and a lot of people were saying it only worked for a few weeks or so or not at all. Substances are severly locked down in my country although I do have excessive daytime sleepiness I cannot be prescribed Modafinil unless I have a prescribed sleep disorder and even then a psychiatrist is not allowed prescribe it I have to see a respiratory expert or neurologist. I am so sick of not getting the help I need.

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

If you get anxiety and panic, you probably should forget about bupropion, which tends to make anxiety worse.  Bupropion is more for people who can't get out of bed. 

You could try a different AD.  Vilazodone, for example, has much less risk of sexual side effects. 

Edited by nowayout, 19 February 2015 - 04:43 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 metabrain

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

I do have excessive daytime sleepiness as well, I sleep all the time, way more than the average depressed person even when I am happy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bupropion, sertraline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users