- - - - -

Daily supplement regimen middle aged male

brain health

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

• 126 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

I'm primarily interested in maintaining cognitive health as I get older.

Since there is a history of colon cancer on part of my family background, I'm also interested in what I might subtract or add to reduce risk of colon cancer.

I'm a middle aged male, in excellent health and on no medication. 5 days a week I take 

Morning

Lions Mane 400mg <Purica (I've read its good for long term brain health as it supports nerve growth)

Acetyl-L-Carnitine , 500 mg <Doctors best

Cordyceps  <Host Defense  (for the energy benefits)

D3 2000 IU's (1000 in summer) <Natural Factors

Quercetin with Bromelain 400&100mg respectively <Organika

Vitamin C timed release 1000mg <Natural Factors

Turmeric Formula 370mg & 80mg rhizome and extract respectively <Organic India

Omega 3 1000mg <Nordic Naturals

Rhodiola 100mg  <New Chapter (general mood lifter, higher doseI find too stimulating)

Evening

Melatonin 2mg timed release <Natures Harmony

Magnesium glycinate 200mg <Doctors Best

Occasionally Ashwaganda + or LTheanine

Occasionally (1 week) will supplement with 2g of Piracetam in the morning along with 300mg CDP Choline

Although I'm not convinced that ANY racetams work for me on a daily basis because of the adverse effect they have on my sleep.

Also I try and take a total break from ALL supplements every weekend as well as the first week of every month.

Edited by cylon, 20 February 2015 - 02:10 AM.

#2 β-Endorphin

• 66 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

You should definitely start using CDP-Choline daily. It supplies the brain with choline and uridine, choline is used to synthesize acetylcholine, and uridine regulates/modulates the dopamine system and promotes the growth of new brain synapses. In fact, uridine+choline administered to aging mice seems to reverse cognitive decline in rats. As I stated in your other thread already, CDP-Choline also has other benefits like its antioxidant properties, increasing cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism in the brain and lowering/regulating glutamate levels. 

Bacopa seems to be another good herb that can prevent cognitive decline, in the memory department specifically, it also has some antioxidant and anticancer properties.

Forskolin can also be used. It raises levels of cAMP that promotes LTP(Long-Term Potentiation) in the brain which promotes nerve repair and memory(long term and learning) Additionally, forskolin can inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells and their survival(http://cancerres.aac...1/5248.full.pdf).

Also, eating hot dogs increases your risk of colon cancer a considerable amount, so you should try to not eat those if you are.

Good Luck.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cylon

• Topic Starter
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:18 AM

Thanks! Will look into forskolin and Bacopa. I don't have the link handy but recall reading somewhere that excessive choline can in some cases cause depression. I recall years ago when I was taking Lecithin (which I believe converts to acetylcholine) supplements daily I had to stop because of the way they were making me feel. Perhaps its simply a question of dosage...

Edited by cylon, 21 February 2015 - 12:18 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 β-Endorphin

• 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

Thanks! Will look into forskolin and Bacopa. I don't have the link handy but recall reading somewhere that excessive choline can in some cases cause depression. I recall years ago when I was taking Lecithin (which I believe converts to acetylcholine) supplements daily I had to stop because of the way they were making me feel. Perhaps its simply a question of dosage...

Dosage should definitely considered, but things that excessively promote acetylcholine have the potential to cause depression, as excessive acetylcholine may deplete dopamine levels. Some people just react this way to anything that promotes acetylcholine, other people can tolerate cholinergic supplements in low doses.

Though I should mention that CDP-Choline also is broken down into Uridine, a compound that increases dopamine release in the brain(Potassium-evoked mainly) by a significant amount. At least in rats anyways(http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16055952).

Either way, try it at a low dose at first, then slowly increase it to the highest comfortable dose. In most studies, the higher the dose, the stronger the beneficial effects of the substance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users