• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

New Nootropic User Seeking Stack Advice.

nootropic advice newbie brain health concentration mind fog focus speech motivation stack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MiD

• 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

Since browsing the forum, I've picked up some newbie nootropic recommendations and have purchased the following, which should arrive tomorrow:

Full Spectrum Lion's Mane Mushroom, 500mg caps

- Himalaya Pure Herbs Bacopa, 750mg caps

- BulkSupplements Pure Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR) Powder, 250G powder

- Jarrow Formulas Citicoline, CDP Choline, 250mg caps

Neuro Boost® Piracetam from SDFT, 800mg caps

I've noticed some have said to first try Piracetam alone by taking 800mg in the morning and seeing how I feel and if no headache, take an additional 800mg in the afternoon. If a headache develops, then take CDP Choline. However, I've seen some say that if Piracetam does little to nothing for you, you should take more Piracetam along with half of that in CDP Choline. As time moves on, experiment by filtering in the other supplements. 

Can anyone provide some advice on this stack and possibly anything else I should know or consider adding / subtracting? Perhaps even dosage recommendations? Basically, I suffer from mental fog, lack of focus and sometimes motivation, and even verbal clarity at times because it feels like my mind cannot keep up with the speed of my sentences at times. I work in a fast-paced IT environment and I could really use the assistance these supplements provide.

I also exercise weekly by incorporating jogging, push-ups, and other exercises. I don't drink soda or many sugary foods, but my diet could use some improvement, which I'm working on. I already take the following supplements daily:

- Fish Oil, 2 Soft Gels of 1000mg

- Turmeric Curcumin, 2 caps of 500mg

- Multi-Vitamin, Opti-Men Brand

Thank you for any advice provided. 

Edited by MiD, 20 February 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#2 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:14 AM

Choline is best taken at 750 mg per day... for 7-14 days.. to see results.. I work up day 5 !  That was after lead poison.. and treatment..

I also recommend FOLATE.. not Folic Acid.. and Methy B12..    

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MiD

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

Astroid - Thank you for the input! What does the FOLATE do you? Improvements on memory and concentration?

Since my posting, I actually sent back the Lion's Mane due to poor reviews on Amazon; I didn't want to take any chances. Instead, I bought the Host Defense brand based on the reviews here.

-Host Defense Lion's Mane Mushroom, 500mg caps

- Himalaya Pure Herbs Bacopa, 750mg caps

- BulkSupplements Pure Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR) Powder, 250G powder (I bought capsules to put this in since I'm told it is acidic on the teeth)

- Jarrow Formulas Citicoline, CDP Choline, 250mg caps

Neuro Boost® Piracetam from SDFT, 800mg caps

- Fish Oil,  Soft Gels of 500mg

- Turmeric Curcumin,  500mg

- Multi-Vitamin, Opti-Men Brand

I'm also looking to incorporate Pyritinol but I'm having trouble finding a credible source for bulk powder.

Here is the dosage I'm thinking: 

Morning Supp.

- 800mg Piracetam (This may increase)
- 250mg CDPcholine (This may increase)
- 2000mg Fish Oil
- 500mg Turmeric Curcumin 
- 500mg Lions's Mane
- Pyritinol 400mg
- 500mg ALCAR

Afternoon Supp.

- 800mg Piracetam (This may increase)
- 250mg CDPcholine (This may increase)

Night Supp.

- 500mg Bacopa
- 500mg Lion's Mane
- 2000mg Fish Oil
- 500mg ALCAR

Any comments on this? Thank you!

#4 β-Endorphin

• 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Have you tried adding L-tyrosine to your stack? Its the precursor to dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine. All vital neurotransmitters responsible for energy, motivation, clarity of thought, focus etc. 

Also, you could try adding a low dose stimulant in to your stack, like caffeine for example. Caffeine would probably bolster your verbal clarity specifically because it accelerates sentence verification. That is, if you don't have a tolerance to it. L-tyrosine would also boost the effects of caffeine and other stimulants because it gives them access to more dopamine/norepinephrine to release in your brain.

If you decide to take caffeine, try also taking it with L-theanine. It's not a nootropic by itself, but it does seem to boost the cognitive-enhancing aspects of caffeine while reducing its negative side effects like anxiety and jitteriness. L-theanine mainly works as an sedative, antidepressant and antipsychotic supplement. Its also pretty cheap since its found naturally in green tea and is VERY popular.

Try to also take a look at essential minerals like magnesium and zinc. Zinc has been found to be deficient in people with ADHD(a disorder that mainly presents with symptoms of mental fog and problems focusing) more so than in the general population. Supplementing Zinc seems to be decently effective in ADHDers for relieving symptoms as well. This might be because Zinc plays a very important role in dopamine release, with it either acting as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor or dopamine reuptake enhancer depending on the neuron's condition.

Magnesium also seems to be important. Specifically, there is strong evidence that magnesium deficiency can cause cognitive deficits, and magnesium supplementation can prevent synaptic loss and preserve cognition in animal models of Alzheimer's disease.

Finally, Vitamin B1(Thiamine) is an interesting supplement. When supplemented at doses significantly(50-100 times) higher than the recommended daily dose, Thiamine seems to cause mental clarity and increased energy in people. This is probably because Thiamine regulates Ach and GABA synthesis, meaning higher doses of thiamine = more Ach and GABA synthesis. Thiamine in itself is remarkably non toxic, with doses up to 5000mg(5000 times the daily dose) producing no side/adverse effects in humans. Still, to be on the safe side, try to take breaks of it on the weekends. Also try to take it with a B-vitamin complex, as B1 may deplete other B vitamins like B6 and B12 in the process. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

Have you tried adding L-tyrosine to your stack? Its the precursor to dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine. All vital neurotransmitters responsible for energy, motivation, clarity of thought, focus etc. 

Also, you could try adding a low dose stimulant in to your stack, like caffeine for example. Caffeine would probably bolster your verbal clarity specifically because it accelerates sentence verification. That is, if you don't have a tolerance to it. L-tyrosine would also boost the effects of caffeine and other stimulants because it gives them access to more dopamine/norepinephrine to release in your brain.

If you decide to take caffeine, try also taking it with L-theanine. It's not a nootropic by itself, but it does seem to boost the cognitive-enhancing aspects of caffeine while reducing its negative side effects like anxiety and jitteriness. L-theanine mainly works as an sedative, antidepressant and antipsychotic supplement. Its also pretty cheap since its found naturally in green tea and is VERY popular.

Try to also take a look at essential minerals like magnesium and zinc. Zinc has been found to be deficient in people with ADHD(a disorder that mainly presents with symptoms of mental fog and problems focusing) more so than in the general population. Supplementing Zinc seems to be decently effective in ADHDers for relieving symptoms as well. This might be because Zinc plays a very important role in dopamine release, with it either acting as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor or dopamine reuptake enhancer depending on the neuron's condition.

Magnesium also seems to be important. Specifically, there is strong evidence that magnesium deficiency can cause cognitive deficits, and magnesium supplementation can prevent synaptic loss and preserve cognition in animal models of Alzheimer's disease.

Finally, Vitamin B1(Thiamine) is an interesting supplement. When supplemented at doses significantly(50-100 times) higher than the recommended daily dose, Thiamine seems to cause mental clarity and increased energy in people. This is probably because Thiamine regulates Ach and GABA synthesis, meaning higher doses of thiamine = more Ach and GABA synthesis. Thiamine in itself is remarkably non toxic, with doses up to 5000mg(5000 times the daily dose) producing no side/adverse effects in humans. Still, to be on the safe side, try to take breaks of it on the weekends. Also try to take it with a B-vitamin complex, as B1 may deplete other B vitamins like B6 and B12 in the process. 

Excellent post. I don't understand people's obsession on here with boosting cholinergic function. If your brain isn't working properly, why does that have to be related to cholinergic function? You're just going to make yourself stiff, rigid and despressed. Headaches and lots of other nasty side effects. Acetylcholine also antagonizes dopamine. Anticholinergics actually boost my cognition, along with my mood.

Thiamine and b6 both lower prolactin enhancing dopaminergic tone. Magnesium is just awesome. Try making magnesium biocarbonate for something that actually works (it knocks me out like no other magnesium supplement - so obviously does something). Zinc can have its benefits, but if it gives you bad side effects, it may be the type of zinc you are taking that your body doesn't like, or it may be that you are antagonizing copper too much (another vital mineral). Me personally, I don't react well to any zinc supplements, at any dose.

L-Theanine is good stuff. Anything that calms you down will enahance focus. Caffeine definitely enhances mental performance. If you really want to ramp up your caffeine, but suffer from jitters, you can add taurine (think red bull) to ease it out (taurine has shit loads of benefits itself). Niacinamide (also has a ton of benefits) will also work brilliantly at lowering adrenalin that you might get from caffeine.

Tyrosine or L-Phenylalanine can enhance dopamine. Just go easy on them and cycle them. Taking them too much, or in too large quantities will also increase prolactin.

Edited by Thorsten2, 21 February 2015 - 11:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic, advice, newbie, brain health, concentration, mind fog, focus, speech, motivation, stack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users