• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Please help, Wisdom Teeth Removal changed my face!!

wisdom teeth removal tmj

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nexpa

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

I had my perfectly good wisdom teeth removed around 18 months ago and since then my face has changed dramatically...It was just the two top wisdom teeth, my bottoms never came in. My cheek bones are more noticeable, I have larger bags under eyes, my jaw line is gone, skin is loose and hanging and the area under my eyes has sunken in. Also, my lower jaw is being pushed back a bit do to all the changes. I got them removed thinking I had to for braces to correct an overbite. I didn't think anything of it since so many people have it done. If I had only researched just a little, I would have never had any of this done. Having them removed has been one of the worst mistakes I have ever made by far. My confidence has plummeted, im anxious, and at times just feel as though im losing it. I only wish I could turn back time, I would give anything to go back to the way things were, my overbite wasn't even that noticeable and my teeth are perfectly straight. To top things off, I now have problems with TMJ, luckily the jaw clicking has stopped, but its still really unstable. I never feel as though my jaw is in a comfortable position and the muscles around the joint constantly twitch. I have only been in braces for about 4 months, so not a lot of movements has been done yet luckily. I'm seeing a traditional orthodontist now who swears up and down he knows all about TMJ, but I don't trust him to be honest. What I have learned now, is that my wisdom teeth were acting like pillars holding everything right where it was meant to be and my overbite was actually, functionally, a good thing, it allowed my jaw to function perfectly. This is such a nightmare. I followed through with all of this thinking I would improve my confidence, but it has done the complete opposite.  Sorry so long, as you can tell im at loss right now.

I'm wanting to know what can be done for the facial changes from wisdom teeth removal?

Should I see about getting implants where the wisdom teeth were to prevent further bone loss?

Also, what can be done about TMJ?

Do I just find a functional orthodontist?

Unfortunately my teeth have shifted enough over the past four months that im stuck, my bite is off now, I just need some help on how I should proceed.

#2 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

The Dentist should have verified your bite was correct, you might need an MORA now (mouthpiece to realign the jaw)
Laser therapy works well for post tooth extraction inflammation
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21631375

#3 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

Be patient, and I think your other teeth will ease along to fill the area left by the wisdom teeth, and then your cheek will fit properly over your upper jaw without hollowness. I had three of mine out, and something similar happened to me. But now everything seems all right. It is surprising how teeth seem to shuffle along over time to even the bite out again.

Edited by Gerrans, 22 February 2015 - 10:31 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Nexpa

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the replies, I hope you're right Gerrans, I am seeing a functional orthodontist for tmj now. I will be wearing functional appliances to get my jaw where it should be and to align my bite, he's very knowledgeable, people fly from all over to see him. Hopefully things will be moved and the cheek bones supported again. Its rather depressing at the moment, my face was near perfectly symmetrical and wide and more forward (3d looking), now narrow, flat (recessed mid-face),  and very asymmetrical, its such a dramatic change, I cant seem to get over it. I feel vain and ive never been this type of person. Anyways, appreciate the responses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wisdom teeth removal, tmj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users