• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Vitamin C..apparently 1000mg/day is too much?

vitaminc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

• 126 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:50 AM

Surprised to find out that, according to recent studies,  1000mg per day is really too much and there are a few studies that link higher incidence of cataracts among women and kidney stones among men with long term high dosage(1000+mg day). This is from consumerlabs and also askdrweil's site. So I guess I will be taking 250mg, not 1000 daily unlessI'm coming down with a cold. Any suggestions for quality buffered brands?

• Needs references x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:44 AM

I found some 500mg caplets (cheap drugstore brand) and cut them in half.  I take these custom 250mg half tabs 3 times a day, always on an empty stomach.  Taking low doses several times a day helps maintain stable blood levels and reduces GI side effects.  

Vitamin-C greatly increases absorption of dietary iron if taken with food, and for males this is not a good thing!  Males tend to accumulate iron with age and iron accumulation accelerates aging.  

Edited by synesthesia, 26 February 2015 - 02:45 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

Megadosing Vit C seems bad. Increases the risk of some cancers, decreases the effects of physical exercise. I've cut all Vit C pills and feel fine about the amount I get from apples, citrus fruits etc.

• Needs references x 3

#4 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

I've noticed if I don't supplement "some" Vitamin-C, my gums sometimes bleed when I brush my teeth...   A little C every day and not a drop.  I haven't seen any blood in the sink for years.  

C from dietary sources is great, but you really need to be sure you get adequate C every day for optimal health.  This doesn't happen for me unless I supplement.  

As always...  Low doses are best!  

#5 johnjuanb1

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:10 PM

Studies can be skewed both ways. I tend to be more a believer in higher doses of vitamin with 500mg per setting. I have no problem ingesting up to 3 grams per day for antioxidant and antiviral protection. I have heard mega dosing vitamin c intraveneously has been used in cancer tumor therapy with success.

#6 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Studies can be skewed both ways. I tend to be more a believer in higher doses of vitamin with 500mg per setting. I have no problem ingesting up to 3 grams per day for antioxidant and antiviral protection. I have heard mega dosing vitamin c intraveneously has been used in cancer tumor therapy with success.

I agree on this. The kidneystone danger of vitamin C is a myth. There is, as far as I know, no valid research that shows any connection. However, if you have suboptimal kidneys to begin with, THEN there is research showing a connection.

Vitamin C has intravenously been used with success for cancer. It then acts not as an antioxidant, but as a prooxidant. However; this prooxidant acitvity is beneficial in this context.

I normally take between 3000-5000 grams of vitamin C daily.Time relase.  Have been doing this for 20 years or something.

#7 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

I normally take between 3000-5000 grams of vitamin C daily.Time relase.  Have been doing this for 20 years or something.

Now that I would say is too much hehe.

Anyway, I prefer to get vitamin C from berries and camu camu. Flavonoids like quercetin synergize to make it more bioavailable and stay in the system longer. It's cheaper to buy the synthetic stuff though, maybe taking it with meals works kinda similarly. But studies tend to show most of extra ascorbic acid is just peed out.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

I've noticed if I don't supplement "some" Vitamin-C, my gums sometimes bleed when I brush my teeth...   A little C every day and not a drop.  I haven't seen any blood in the sink for years.  

C from dietary sources is great, but you really need to be sure you get adequate C every day for optimal health.  This doesn't happen for me unless I supplement.  

As always...  Low doses are best!  

If I remember right, watercress was historically used to "bind the teeth."  It's also high in vitamin c!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users