• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Middle aged male, additional Calcium supplementation necessary?

calcium

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

• 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:04 AM

I understand that women, especially over 50,  are usually advised to take additional Calcium and magnesium VitaminD supplementation, but does the same apply to men? 

I already take a 1000 D3  during the winter and occasionally Magnesium glycinate to help with sleep but no additional calcium supplementation.

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:56 AM

I take Mag-Citrate off and on and D-3 daily, but just say no to calcium.  Most all minerals are gut busters and I have a hard enough time with my mag & zinc.  

Calcium isn't supposed to be all that common a deficiency, and as the over-mineralization theory of aging opines...  Humans do tend to petrify with minerals as they age, particularly calcium (and iron!).  It collects in our arterial plaques and turns them to ridged eggshells.  I'm a surgical technician and have actually seen these "egg-shell" aortas first hand.  A fine mess I'd like to avoid!  

Unless you are entirely dairy free, you're getting all the calcium you need.  If you are a non-dairy kind of guy, I'd invest in a pill cutter and might take very low doses of cal intermittently, a couple of times a week at most.  

Edited by synesthesia, 27 February 2015 - 04:58 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zen

• 138 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

I don't think that it is necessary to supplement calcium in you case.
I would recommend for you to research the benefits of vitamin K2 supplementation.
It is easy to find lots of interesting information, just google for something like "vitamin K D3 calcium".

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

OK, this is a joke, right? You ask whether it is necessary for you to supplement calcium (it is hardly necessary for anyone, the question is rather if it could be beneficial) without giving us a single hint about your diet? Duh...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: calcium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users