- - - - -

Herbs, supplements to combat toxins and heavy metals

toxins

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

• 126 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

Toxins and heavy metals are part of modern living. The air we breathe, water we drink, food we eat, and yes, even some of the supplements we consume. (One of the reasons I am wary of the supposed health benefits of many of the 'green'- and spirulina powder mixes.)

But are there known herbs, vitamins, supplements that ARE known to help combat and alleviate the effects of toxins and heavy metals we consume daily?

On another topic, how do I delete a post? Accidentally posted twice but can't seem to delete previous post

Edited by cylon, 04 March 2015 - 03:13 PM.

#2 Hux

• 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

I know many swear by spirulina.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cylon

• Topic Starter
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:45 PM

A quick google search of 'toxin contamination spirulina' shows many alarming reports.

#4 NilsOlav

• 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

NOW Foods has a whole section of supplements specifically for "Liver Support / Detox / Cleansing".

http://www.nowfoods....tox / Cleansing

Does anyone know if any of these are effective at protecting against or eliminating heavy metals from the body?

#5 Hux

• 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

A quick google search of 'toxin contamination spirulina' shows many alarming reports.

From what I've read that was years ago, and from less reputable brands.
Plus you would have to take over 77g in order for it to be toxic.

But certainly is something to watch.

#6 cylon

• Topic Starter
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

NOW Foods has a whole section of supplements specifically for "Liver Support / Detox / Cleansing".

http://www.nowfoods....tox / Cleansing

Does anyone know if any of these are effective at protecting against or eliminating heavy metals from the body?

Good find, thanks for sharing

#7 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

I recently wrote about the potential of NAC to detoxify heavy metals, particularly methylmercury.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 StotheG

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:29 AM

If you truly have a high heavy metal burden, the only way to get ride of it safely and effectively is through chelation. It is true that NAC is able to detox heavy metals, but it does so through the increase in GSH that is impaired in people with a high heavy metal load. That said, I don't think that GSH is sufficient to really reduce total body burden. The only really effective ways to do those are with true chelators: DMSA, DMSP, EDTA. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: toxins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users