• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Amphetamine Is Neuroprotective?

amphetamine d-amp adhd stimulants stimulant ritalin dopamine neurotoxic neuroprotective adderall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 β-Endorphin

• 66 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

I’ve been doing some research on amphetamine lately, and some studies seem to prove it has neuroprotective and neuroregenerative properties:

Abstract

Clinical improvements in Parkinson's disease produced by dopamine D3 receptor-preferring agonists have been related to their neuroprotective actions and, more recently, to their neuroregenerative properties. However, it is unclear whether dopamine agonists produce their neurotrophic effects by acting directly on receptors expressed by the mesencephalic dopaminergic neurons or indirectly on receptors expressed by astrocytes, via release of neurotrophic factors. In this study, we investigated the effects of the dopamine D3 receptor-preferring agonists quinpirole and 7-hydroxy-N,N-di-propyl-2-aminotetralin (7-OH-DPAT), as well as of the indirect agonist amphetamine, on dopaminergic neurons identified by tyrosine hydroxylase immunoreactivity (TH-IR). Experiments were performed on neuronal-enriched primary cultures containing less than 0.5% of astrocytes prepared from the mouse embryo mesencephalon. After 3 days of incubation, both quinpirole (1-10 microm) and 7-OH-DPAT (5-500 nm) dose-dependently increased the maximal dendrite length (P < 0.001), number of primary dendrites (P < 0.01) and [3H]dopamine uptake (P < 0.01) of TH-IR-positive mesencephalic neurons. Similar effects were observed with 10 microm amphetamine. All neurotrophic effects were blocked by the unselective D2/D3 receptor antagonist sulpiride (5 microm) and by the selective D3 receptor antagonist SB-277011-A at a low dose (50 nm). Quinpirole and 7-OH-DPAT also increased the phosphorylation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) within minutes, an effect blocked by pretreatment with SB-277011-A. Inhibition of the D2/D3 receptor signalling pathway to ERK was obtained with PD98059, GF109203 or LY294002, resulting in blockade of neurotrophic effects. These data suggest that dopamine agonists increase dendritic arborizations of mesencephalic dopaminergic neurons via a direct effect on D2/D3 receptors, preferentially involving D3 receptor-dependent neurotransmission.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18973551

One study stated that D-amphetamine promoted neurogenesis in the hippocampus when administered from early childhood to adulthood in rats:

Abstract

Adderall is widely prescribed for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) though long term neurological effects of the main ingredient d-amphetamine are not well understood. The purpose of this study was to examine effects of clinically prescribed doses of d-amphetamine and one abuse dose administered from childhood to adulthood on adult hippocampal neurogenesis and activation of the granule layer of the dentate gyrus. Beginning in early adolescence (age 28 days) to adulthood (age 71), male C57BL/6J mice were administered twice daily i.p. injections of vehicle, 0.25, 0.5 or 2mg/kg d-amphetamine. Locomotor activity was measured in home cages by video tracking. At age 53-56, mice received bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU) injections to label dividing cells. Immunohistochemical detection of BrdU, neuronal nuclear protein (NeuN), doublecortin (DCX) and Ki67 was used to measure neurogenesis and cell proliferation at age 71. ΔFosB was measured as an indicator of repeated neuronal activation. An additional cohort of mice was treated similarly except euthanized at age 58 to measure activation of granule neurons from d-amphetamine (by detection of c-Fos) and cell proliferation (Ki67) at a time when the fate of BrdU cells would have been determined in the first cohort. d-Amphetamine dose-dependently increased survival and differentiation of BrdU cells into neurons and increased number of DCX cells without affecting the number of Ki67 cells. Low doses of d-amphetamine decreased c-Fos and ΔFosB in the granule layer. Only the high dose induced substantial locomotor stimulation and sensitization. Results suggest both therapeutic and abuse doses of d-amphetamine increase the number of new neurons in the hippocampus when administered from adolescence to adulthood by increasing survival and differentiation of cells into neurons not by increasing progenitor cell proliferation. Mechanisms for amphetamine-induced neurogenesis are unknown but appear activity independent. Results suggest part of the beneficial effects of therapeutic doses of d-amphetamine for ADHD could be via increased hippocampal neurogenesis.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23178911

Amphetamine’s effect on BDNF and NGF seems to be varied. For example, multiple studies show that amphetamine acutely increases BDNF and NGF expression:

Abstract

Prior work has shown that d-amphetamine (AMPH) treatment or voluntary exercise improves cognitive functions after traumatic brain injury (TBI). In addition, voluntary exercise increases levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). The current study was conducted to determine how AMPH and exercise treatments, either alone or in combination, affect molecular events that may underlie recovery following controlled cortical impact (CCI) injury in rats. We also determined if these treatments reduced injury-induced oxidative stress. Following a CCI or sham injury, rats received AMPH (1 mg/kg/day) or saline treatment via an ALZET pump and were housed with or without access to a running wheel for 7 days. CCI rats ran significantly less than sham controls, but exercise level was not altered by drug treatment. On day 7 the hippocampus ipsilateral to injury was harvested and BDNF, synapsin I and phosphorylated (P) -synapsin I proteins were quantified. Exercise or AMPH alone significantly increased BDNF protein in sham and CCI rats, but this effect was lost with the combined treatment. In sham-injured rats synapsin I increased significantly after AMPH or exercise, but did not increase after combined treatment. Synapsin levels, including the P-synapsin/total synapsin ratio, were reduced from sham controls in the saline-treated CCI groups, with or without exercise. AMPH treatment significantly increased the P-synapsin/total synapsin ratio after CCI, an effect that was attenuated by combining AMPH with exercise. Exercise or AMPH treatment alone significantly decreased hippocampal carbonyl groups on oxidized proteins in the CCI rats, compared with saline-treated sedentary counterparts, but this reduction in a marker of oxidative stress was not found with the combination of exercise and AMPH treatment. These results indicate that, whereas exercise or AMPH treatment alone may induce plasticity and reduce oxidative stress after TBI, combining these treatments may cancel each other's therapeutic effects.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18479829

Abstract

Behavioral sensitization, or augmented locomotor response to successive drug exposures, results from neuroadaptive changes contributing to addiction. Both the medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) and ventral tegmental area (VTA) influence behavioral sensitization and display increased immediate-early gene and BDNF expression after psychostimulant administration. Here we investigate whether mPFC neurons innervating the VTA exhibit altered Fos or BDNF expression during long-term sensitization to amphetamine. Male Sprague-Dawley rats underwent unilateral intra-VTA infusion of the retrograde tracer Fluorogold (FG), followed by 5 daily injections of either amphetamine (2.5 mg/kg, i.p.) or saline vehicle. Four weeks later, rats were challenged with amphetamine (1.0 mg/kg, i.p.) or saline (1.0 mL/kg, i.p.). Repeated amphetamine treatment produced locomotor sensitization upon drug challenge. Two hours later, rats were euthanized, and mPFC sections were double-immunolabeled for either Fos-FG or Fos-BDNF. Tissue from the VTA was also double-immunolabeled for Fos-BDNF. Amphetamine challenge increased Fos and BDNF expression in the mPFC regardless of prior drug experience, and further augmented mPFC BDNF expression in sensitized rats. Similarly, more Fos-FG and Fos-BDNF double-labeling was observed in the mPFC of sensitized rats compared to drug-naïve rats after amphetamine challenge. Repeated amphetamine treatment also increased VTA BDNF, while both acute and repeated amphetamine treatment increased Fos and Fos-BDNF co-labeling, an effect enhanced in sensitized rats. These findings point to a role of cortico-tegmental BDNF in long-term amphetamine sensitization.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21570990

Abstract

Exposure to psychostimulants increases brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) mRNA and protein levels in the cerebral cortex and subcortical structures. Because BDNF is co-localized with dopamine and glutamate in afferents to the striatum of rats, it may be co-released with those neurotransmitters upon stimulation. Further, there may be an interaction between the intracellular signaling cascades activated by dopamine, glutamate, and TrkB receptors in medium spiny striatal neurons. In the present study, the effect of acute amphetamine administration on TrkB phosphorylation, as an indirect indicator of activation, and striatal gene expression, was evaluated. In Experiment 1, 15 min or 2 h after a single saline or amphetamine (2.5 mg/kg, i.p.) injection, the caudate-putamen (CPu), nucleus accumbens (NAc), and dorsomedial prefrontal cortex (dmPFC) were extracted and processed for phospho (p)-TrkB immunoreactivity. Immunoprecipitation analyses indicated that neither the tyrosine phosphorylation (p-Tyr) or autophosphorylation sites of TrkB (706) were changed in NAc, CPu, or dmPFC 15 min after amphetamine administration. In contrast, p-Tyr and the PLCγ phosphorylation site of TrkB (816) were increased in the NAc and CPu 2 h after amphetamine. In Experiment 2, intra-striatal infusion of the tyrosine kinase inhibitor, K252a, increased amphetamine-induced vertical activity but not total distance traveled. In addition, K252a inhibited amphetamine-induced preprodynorphin, but not preproenkephalin, mRNA expression in the striatum. These data indicate that acute amphetamine administration induces p-TrkB activation and signaling in a time- and brain region-dependent manner and that TrkB/BDNF signaling plays an important role in amphetamine-induced behavior and striatal gene expression.

Yet some studies show the opposite, with this one showing chronic treatment reduces BDNF and NGF:

Abstract

Amphetamines (methamphetamine and d-amphetamine) are dopaminergic and noradrenergic agonists and are highly addictive drugs with neurotoxic effect on the brain. In human subjects, it has also been observed that amphetamine causes psychosis resembling positive symptoms of schizophrenia. Neurotrophins are molecules involved in neuronal survival and plasticity and protect neurons against (BDNF) are the most abundant neurotrophins in the central nervous system (CNS) and are important survival factors for cholinergic and dopaminergic neurons. Interestingly, it has been proposed that deficits in the production or utilization of neurotrophins participate in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. In this study in order to investigate the mechanism of amphetamine-induced neurotoxicity and further elucidate the role of neurotrophins in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia we administered intraperitoneally d-amphetamine for 8 days to rats and measured the levels of neurotrophins NGF and BDNF in selected brain regions by ELISA. Amphetamine reduced NGF levels in the hippocampus, occipital cortex and hypothalamus and of BDNF in the occipital cortex and hypothalamus. Thus the present data indicate that chronic amphetamine can reduce the levels of NGF and BDNF in selected brain regions. This reduction may account for some of the effects of amphetamine in the CNS neurons and provides evidences for the role of neurotrophins in schizophrenia.

Additionally, some studies demonstrate reduced DAT and VMAT2:

Two to 4 weeks after cessation of treatment, the first group of baboons (n = 3) that had self-administered escalating doses of the 3:1 mixture of dextro [S(+)]- and levo [R(–)]-amphetamine twice daily for approximately 4 weeks showed significant reductions in striatal dopamine concentration, the density of [3H]WIN 35,428-labeled DAT sites, the amount of DAT protein and the number of [3H]DTBZ-labeled VMAT2 sites; quantitative autoradiographic studies showed that the regional density of [125I]RTI-121-labeled DAT sites was comparably reduced (Fig. 1). A closer examination of regional monoamine data revealed lasting dopaminergic deficits in the caudate nucleus and putamen of comparable magnitude (44–47% depletions), although smaller, but significant, deficits (approximately 30%) were also evident in the nucleus accumbens

But perhaps this doesn’t necessarily signify neurotoxicity? I’m not too familiar with this, so correct me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t activation of TAAR1 cause dopamine transporters to internalize temporarily? This would explain why the DAT protein densities seem lower, because some of the DATs have internalized and will resurface eventually, not because they have been damaged.

Dopamine deficits could be explained by dopamine depletion and downregulation of Tyrosine hydroxylase, but is that indicative of neurotoxicity? I’m not entirely sure of some of these details, so if someone who is more knowledgeable than me on this topic, please clear up any misconceptions I may have.

If amphetamine is neurotoxic, perhaps its neuroprotective effects are similar to the antioxidant/prooxidant paradox. In this paradox, prooxidants increase lifespan:

More recently, Siegfried Hekimi, a biologist at McGill University, has bred roundworms that overproduce a specific free radical known as superoxide. “I thought they were going to help us prove the theory that oxidative stress causes aging,” says Hekimi, who had predicted that the worms would die young. Instead he reported in a 2010 paper in PLOS Biology that the engineered worms did not develop high levels of oxidative damage and that they lived, on average, 32 percent longer than normal worms. Indeed, treating these genetically modified worms with the antioxidant vitamin C prevented this increase in life span. Hekimi speculates that superoxide acts not as a destructive molecule but as a protective signal in the worms’ bodies, turning up the expression of genes that help to repair cellular damage. In a follow-up experiment, Hekimi exposed normal worms, from birth, to low levels of a common weed-controlling herbicide that initiates free radical production in animals as well as plants. In the same 2010 paper he reported the counterintuitive result: the toxin-bathed worms lived 58 percent longer than untreated worms. Again, feeding the worms antioxidants quenched the toxin’s beneficial effects.

Source: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbtdag/Wenner_2013.pdf

So if amphetamine is damaging, perhaps that conditions the human brain to upregulate neuroprotective and neuroregenerative mechanisms, thus leading to a net long term neuroprotective effect instead of a neurotoxic one?

Any and all opinions are welcome as this has been confusing me for quite some time.

• Informative x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:42 PM

Maybe You have sometimes to dig deeper.

Example, when I looked for the effects of cocaine, I found only alterations of nmda/ampa ratios in the VTA and some few others, so it seemed safe for me for occassional recreational consumption.

After several months, I found a study where it was stated that every consumption causes microstrokes which could not been detected in a normal MRI and of course longterm epigenetic alterations.

It was so hard to find, that I´m trying hard to avoid the term "hidden study".

Anyway, here are some  findings:

Nomifensine attenuates d-amphetamine-induced dopamine terminal neurotoxicity in the striatum of rats.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10994696

Potential Adverse Effects of Amphetamine Treatment on Brain and Behavior: A Review

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2670101/

In addition to that, search for gene expression + amphetamine or longterm alterations.

The problem with Medicaments is that seemingly nothing acts only on a primary site, but randomly on another sites too, so I would look for the other affected targets as well.

Like the paracetamol as a FAAH inhibitor and btw a very efficient liver poision in high doses.

Edited by Flex, 12 March 2015 - 07:44 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

I'm willing to believe the answer is it depends.

Vitamin D as an effective treatment approach for drug abuse and addiction

Vitamin D-treated animals showed significant attenuated methamphetamine-induced reductions in DA and metabolites when compared to controls, indicating that vitamin D provides protection for the dopaminergic system against the depleting effects of methamphetamine [14].

The protective effects of vitamin D might be due to a mechanism of up-regulation of GDNF [14], as it was shown that when GDNF is administered directly into the striatum before methamphetamine treatment, complete protection against the dopaminergic toxicity of methamphetamine, such as reductions in striatal DA release and content, could be observed [22]. Vitamin D also increases glutathione levels and inhibits inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) production, which could reduce methamphetamine toxicity to the DA system by reducing methamphetamine free radicals’ production [14].

http://www.sciencedi...251729413000050

Low dose methamphetamine mediates neuroprotection through a PI3K-AKT pathway.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/21635908/

Edited by Metagene, 12 March 2015 - 09:59 PM.

#4 β-Endorphin

• Topic Starter
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Example, when I looked for the effects of cocaine, I found only alterations of nmda/ampa ratios in the VTA and some few others, so it seemed safe for me for occassional recreational consumption.

After several months, I found a study where it was stated that every consumption causes microstrokes which could not been detected in a normal MRI and of course longterm epigenetic alterations.

Anyway, here are some  findings:

Nomifensine attenuates d-amphetamine-induced dopamine terminal neurotoxicity in the striatum of rats.

Potential Adverse Effects of Amphetamine Treatment on Brain and Behavior: A Review

In addition to that, search for gene expression + amphetamine or longterm alterations.

The problem with Medicaments is that seemingly nothing acts only on a primary site, but randomly on another sites too, so I would look for the other affected targets as well.

Like the paracetamol as a FAAH inhibitor and btw a very efficient liver poision in high doses.

Thanks for responding!

I looked over those studies, and the first one states a similar issue that the studies I linked identified:

Long-term or high dose administration of d-amphetamine (AMPH) in the rat has been shown to result in dopamine terminal neurotoxicity in the striatum of rats. This phenomenon includes depletion of dopamine content, decreased activity of tyrosine hydroxylase and diminish in the number of dopamine reuptake transporter. Recent studies implicate a role of oxidative stress induced by dopamine in the AMPH-induced neurotoxicity. However, the primary source of dopamine responsible for radical formation during AMPH challenge has remained elusive. To elucidate this issue, the study was designed to examine the effects of nomifensine, a dopamine transporter blocker, and deprenyl, a monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B) inhibitor, on the prevention of striatal dopamine neurotoxicity in AMPH-treated rats. The results showed that nomifensine but not deprenyl protected against AMPH-induced long-term dopamine depletion. Correspondingly, the hydroxyl radical formation caused by AMPH in the striatum was attenuated by nomifensine, whereas its formation was not abolished by deprenyl. In conclusion, this study suggests that intracellular oxidative stress is more likely involved in the AMPH-induced dopamine terminal toxicity in the rat striatum, while this phenomenon is not mediated by MAO-B pathway.

I'm still not sure if this is indicative of neurotoxicity. I'm still learning about neurochemistry, so I don't have enough knowledge to conclusively state anything, but TAAR1 stimulation is supposed to internalize dopamine transporters(hence explaining the reduced amount of them). Dopamine depletion and tyrosine hydroxylase downregulation is most likely caused by the excessive stimulation of dopamine receptors, but does that necessarily mean its neurotoxic?

I mean I'm sure that those are signs of neurotoxicity, but in this situation, where amphetamines mechanism of action can possibly explain these signs without it being neurotoxic, should we assume it is neurotoxic?

Also, the free radical formation goes back to the paradox I have stated. Perhaps the free radical formation causes short term damage, but a long term overall neuroregenerative effect(as the brain upregulates its neuroprotective and neuroregenerative effect in response to the free radicals)?

The second study you linked talked mainly about how amphetamine can suppress growth in children, but my main focus is on its neurotoxic effects(growth suppression doesn't really matter to me as i'm already a fully grown man). 

Thank you for your input!

Vitamin D-treated animals showed significant attenuated methamphetamine-induced reductions in DA and metabolites when compared to controls, indicating that vitamin D provides protection for the dopaminergic system against the depleting effects of methamphetamine [14].

The protective effects of vitamin D might be due to a mechanism of up-regulation of GDNF [14], as it was shown that when GDNF is administered directly into the striatum before methamphetamine treatment, complete protection against the dopaminergic toxicity of methamphetamine, such as reductions in striatal DA release and content, could be observed [22]. Vitamin D also increases glutathione levels and inhibits inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) production, which could reduce methamphetamine toxicity to the DA system by reducing methamphetamine free radicals’ production [14].

Thank you for linking the studies, but my posts are focused on amphetamine specifically, not methamphetamine. Amphetamine and Methamphetamine are two entirely different drugs, with Methamphetamine being significantly more potent and significantly more neurotoxic than amphetamine.

Even though they are two different drugs, its very interesting that methamphetamine, which is supposed to possess significantly more neurotoxicity than amphetamine(meth releases a lot more dopamine and serotonin than amp), can still be neuroprotective at low doses.

Thats a very interesting find, thanks again for linking them!

#5 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:17 PM

Anyway, here are some findings:

Thanks for responding!

I looked over those studies, and the first one states a similar issue that the studies I linked identified:

Long-term or high dose administration of d-amphetamine (AMPH) in the rat has been shown to result in dopamine terminal neurotoxicity in the striatum of rats. This phenomenon includes depletion of dopamine content, decreased activity of tyrosine hydroxylase and diminish in the number of dopamine reuptake transporter. Recent studies implicate a role of oxidative stress induced by dopamine in the AMPH-induced neurotoxicity. However, the primary source of dopamine responsible for radical formation during AMPH challenge has remained elusive. To elucidate this issue, the study was designed to examine the effects of nomifensine, a dopamine transporter blocker, and deprenyl, a monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B) inhibitor, on the prevention of striatal dopamine neurotoxicity in AMPH-treated rats. The results showed that nomifensine but not deprenyl protected against AMPH-induced long-term dopamine depletion. Correspondingly, the hydroxyl radical formation caused by AMPH in the striatum was attenuated by nomifensine, whereas its formation was not abolished by deprenyl. In conclusion, this study suggests that intracellular oxidative stress is more likely involved in the AMPH-induced dopamine terminal toxicity in the rat striatum, while this phenomenon is not mediated by MAO-B pathway.

I'm still not sure if this is indicative of neurotoxicity. I'm still learning about neurochemistry, so I don't have enough knowledge to conclusively state anything, but TAAR1 stimulation is supposed to internalize dopamine transporters(hence explaining the reduced amount of them). Dopamine depletion and tyrosine hydroxylase downregulation is most likely caused by the excessive stimulation of dopamine receptors, but does that necessarily mean its neurotoxic?
I mean I'm sure that those are signs of neurotoxicity, but in this situation, where amphetamines mechanism of action can possibly explain these signs without it being neurotoxic, should we assume it is neurotoxic?

Also, the free radical formation goes back to the paradox I have stated. Perhaps the free radical formation causes short term damage, but a long term overall neuroregenerative effect(as the brain upregulates its neuroprotective and neuroregenerative effect in response to the free radicals)?

The second study you linked talked mainly about how amphetamine can suppress growth in children, but my main focus is on its neurotoxic effects(growth suppression doesn't really matter to me as i'm already a fully grown man).

Thank you for your input!

Thank you for linking the studies, but my posts are focused on amphetamine specifically, not methamphetamine. Amphetamine and Methamphetamine are two entirely different drugs, with Methamphetamine being significantly more potent and significantly more neurotoxic than amphetamine.
Even though they are two different drugs, its very interesting that methamphetamine, which is supposed to possess significantly more neurotoxicity than amphetamine(meth releases a lot more dopamine and serotonin than amp), can still be neuroprotective at low doses.

Thats a very interesting find, thanks again for linking them!
Yes that is very true but the principle appears to be the same.

"Methamphetamine-mediated neuroprotection was significantly reduced in slice cultures by the addition of D1 and D2 dopamine receptor antagonist. Treatment of slice cultures with methamphetamine resulted in the dopamine-mediated activation of AKT in a PI3K dependant manner."

PI3K signaling supports amphetamine-induced dopamine efflux.

The dopamine (DA) transporter (DAT) is a major molecular target of the psychostimulant amphetamine (AMPH). AMPH, as a result of its ability to reverse DAT-mediated inward transport of DA, induces DA efflux thereby increasing extracellular DA levels. This increase is thought to underlie the behavioral effects of AMPH. We have demonstrated previously that insulin, through phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) signaling, regulates DA clearance by fine-tuning DAT plasma membrane expression. PI3K signaling may represent a novel mechanism for regulating DA efflux evoked by AMPH, since only active DAT at the plasma membrane can efflux DA. Here, we show in both a heterologous expression system and DA neurons that inhibition of PI3K decreases DAT cell surface expression and, as a consequence, AMPH-induced DA efflux.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/18510945/

Akt is essential for insulin modulation of amphetamine-induced human dopamine transporter cell-surface redistribution

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/15795321/

Edited by Metagene, 12 March 2015 - 11:37 PM.

#6 NinefingerJoe

• 65 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:46 PM

Your study looked at D3 specific agonists, whereas amphetamine works across a broad range of dopamine (and other to a far lesser degree) receptors.

Amphetamine can cause neurotoxicity in the other dopamine receptors as it is both a dopamine releaser as well as a Reuptake inhibitor, which means that the high levels of "free floating" dopamine will have time to oxidize into hydroxydopamine which is highly neurotoxic.
On the other hand, pure DRIs like methylphenidate are much safer in this respect.

Edited by NinefingerJoe, 18 March 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#7 β-Endorphin

• Topic Starter
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

Your study looked at D3 specific agonists, whereas amphetamine works across a broad range of dopamine (and other to a far lesser degree) receptors.

Amphetamine can cause neurotoxicity in the other dopamine receptors as it is both a dopamine releaser as well as a Reuptake inhibitor, which means that the high levels of "free floating" dopamine will have time to oxidize into hydroxydopamine which is highly neurotoxic.
On the other hand, pure DRIs like methylphenidate are much safer in this respect.

Thanks for your input!

From what I understood, the study was analysing dopamine d3 preferring agonist(acts as an agonist at all dopamine receptors but has a higher affinity for d3 receptors specifically). Dopamine itself is a dopamine d3 preferring agonist, so not surprisingly, amphetamine, a dopamine releasing agent and reuptake inhibitor, had similar neuroprotective effects in the study. But the study used 10 microm amphetamine, which is supposed to be a low dose. Maybe at higher(therapeutic) doses this neuroprotective effect does not apply?

Sorry, when you said hydroxydopamine, did you mean oxidopamine? Oxidopamine is a synthetic drug(as far as I know) that does not occur naturally in the brain and is only produced in the laboratory. If you're talking about the toxic dopamine metabolites, isn't the damage they cause kind of in line with the antioxidant paradox I mentioned? Perhaps it induces short term oxidative damage, and that conditions the brain to upregulate its own protective mechanisms, thus leading to a long term neuroprotective effect instead of long term toxicity.

Interestingly, amphetamine also inhibits mao-a and mao-b(albeit weakly) as it is metabolized by those enzymes. I'd imagine that would probably mitigate some of the damage amphetamine does. About DRIs being safer, doesn't mao enzymes metabolise dopamine that isn't re uptake? That is the only way I can think of for the brain preventing a hyperdopaminergic state in that situation. I was never able to get a clear answer on that, so I'm not really sure.

What really stumps me about amphetamines neurotoxicity is its ability to cause long lasting reduction in VMAT2 proteins. Activation of TAAR1 doesn't explain it, and I would imagine that the brain would upregulate VMAT2 in response to it being inhibited by amphetamine, not downregulate it further. Reduction of VMAT2 could be neurotoxic, as VMAT2 is supposed to filter out toxic chemicals from the neuron(I think), does anyone have a consensus on how this might affect the brain?

#8 β-Endorphin

• Topic Starter
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

Wow. VMAT is apparently not reduced in humans during amphetamine use:

Methamphetamine is a drug that is significantly abused worldwide. Although long−lasting depletion of dopamine and other dopamine nerve terminal markers has been reported in striatum of nonhuman primates receiving very high doses of the psychostimulant1−3, no information is available for humans. We found reduced levels of three dopamine nerve terminal markers (dopamine, tyrosine hydroxylase and the dopamine transporter) in post−mortem striatum (nucleus accumbens, caudate, putamen) of chronic methamphetamine users. However, levels of DOPA decarboxylase and the vesicular monoamine transporter, known to be reduced in Parkinson's disease4,5, were normal. This suggests that chronic exposure to methamphetamine does not cause permanent degeneration of striatal dopamine nerve terminals at the doses used by the young subjects in our study. However, the dopamine reduction might explain some of the dysphoric effects of the drug, whereas the decreased dopamine transporter could provide the basis for dose escalation occurring in some methamphetamine users.

Source: http://www.nature.co...nm0696-699.html

Considering that methamphetamine and amphetamine are very similar in their action. And that meth is supposedly more neurotoxic than amp, its probably safe to assume that this stuff applies to amphetamine, right?

So then amphetamine reduces VMAT in non-human animals, but does not do the same thing humans? If this is true, then all of the neurotoxic signs of amphetamine use on the brain could be explained by TAAR1 activation.

The dopamine transporter internalize due to activation of taar1, tyrosine hydroxylase(and subsequent dopamine levels) drop due to downregulation of dopamine release. This is probably not neurotoxic, right? I'm not too sure if this is indicatif of any neurotoxicity. Does anybody know whether amphetamine could still be considered neurotoxic?

#9 β-Endorphin

• Topic Starter
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:40 AM

Wow. VMAT is apparently not reduced in humans during amphetamine use:

Methamphetamine is a drug that is significantly abused worldwide. Although long−lasting depletion of dopamine and other dopamine nerve terminal markers has been reported in striatum of nonhuman primates receiving very high doses of the psychostimulant1−3, no information is available for humans. We found reduced levels of three dopamine nerve terminal markers (dopamine, tyrosine hydroxylase and the dopamine transporter) in post−mortem striatum (nucleus accumbens, caudate, putamen) of chronic methamphetamine users. However, levels of DOPA decarboxylase and the vesicular monoamine transporter, known to be reduced in Parkinson's disease4,5, were normal. This suggests that chronic exposure to methamphetamine does not cause permanent degeneration of striatal dopamine nerve terminals at the doses used by the young subjects in our study. However, the dopamine reduction might explain some of the dysphoric effects of the drug, whereas the decreased dopamine transporter could provide the basis for dose escalation occurring in some methamphetamine users.

Source: http://www.nature.co...nm0696-699.html

Considering that methamphetamine and amphetamine are very similar in their action. And that meth is supposedly more neurotoxic than amp, its probably safe to assume that this stuff applies to amphetamine, right?

So then amphetamine reduces VMAT in non-human animals, but does not do the same thing humans? If this is true, then all of the neurotoxic signs of amphetamine use on the brain could be explained by TAAR1 activation.

The dopamine transporter internalize due to activation of taar1, tyrosine hydroxylase(and subsequent dopamine levels) drop due to downregulation of dopamine release. This is probably not neurotoxic, right? I'm not too sure if this is indicatif of any neurotoxicity. Does anybody know whether amphetamine could still be considered neurotoxic?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

This thread maybe helpful

http://www.longecity...hd-medications/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amphetamine, d-amp, adhd, stimulants, stimulant, ritalin, dopamine, neurotoxic, neuroprotective, adderall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users