• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Sleep maintenance insomnia (waking up in middle of night)

insomnia

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 cg8732b

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

Where do you guys find such low doses of melatonin? I'm unable to find that on amazon. I have 5mg now and it stopped working on me. It was working but after a week it stopped. I'm not doing anything currently because not doing anything has me with 1 5am wakeup but I usually fall asleep again if I stay in bed. This is after 6-7 months of hell so I'm afraid to rock the boat. 

I have seriphos but I'm unsure if it's worth trying or not. How did you get NSI-189? Wish I could get a pure supply of it. I'm a little afraid of buying things like this online. I stopped GABA because I couldnt find much research that it was actually taken in by the brain.

#62 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:26 AM

It was unsustainable for me, after a couple of nights I would feel really drugged out during the day even though I broke the pills down to smaller dosages. It's disappointing, but with all the research I did on it, I think it's still worth it for others to try , especially since it's so cheap. I am a horrible responder to most drugs so it probably will work for others like it does in various articles and trials. 

Well that sucks.  :sad:  Sorry it didn’t work out for you. I was hoping for a wonder drug myself, but strangely enough, when I took it for the first time last night it seemed to have the opposite of the desired effect. I woke up repeatedly during the night and had some really weird and disturbing dreams. Woke up feeling really dopey too, but a couple of cups of coffee chased it away in short order. I’m going to give it a few more shots before I toss it though. Fingers crossed that the glycine will be my ticket.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 stillwater

• 116 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Yes it was disappointing , but again maybe it works for others.  You reminded me that I had the same reaction a few times, in that it was a very shallow sleep and was easily awoken, glad I paid next to nothing for them.

I get my low dose time release from iHerb. My NSI was a leftover from a group buy on here over a year ago. Something I use very sparingly if I've gone way too many days without sleep as an emergency back up is cyproheptadine/periactin. Out of the billions of things I've tried over the years , it's the only one that will keep me asleep past 7-8 hours, the downside is that I feel pretty out of it the next day, but at least I got sleep and it's been said not to disrupt any sleep stages at all. It's dirt cheap as well.

#64 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

Where do you guys find such low doses of melatonin? I'm unable to find that on amazon. I have 5mg now and it stopped working on me. It was working but after a week it stopped. I'm not doing anything currently because not doing anything has me with 1 5am wakeup but I usually fall asleep again if I stay in bed. This is after 6-7 months of hell so I'm afraid to rock the boat. 

I have seriphos but I'm unsure if it's worth trying or not. How did you get NSI-189? Wish I could get a pure supply of it. I'm a little afraid of buying things like this online. I stopped GABA because I couldnt find much research that it was actually taken in by the brain.

I assume its about one's sensitivity- I can feel 0,5mg pretty easy but know people that cannot get a hint from 5mg...

And where do I find - well I just crush 5mg tablets... :)

GABA definetely crosses blood-brain barrier, but it might vary according to the person- check Julia Ross 'The Mood Cure'.

#65 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

It was unsustainable for me, after a couple of nights I would feel really drugged out during the day even though I broke the pills down to smaller dosages. It's disappointing, but with all the research I did on it, I think it's still worth it for others to try , especially since it's so cheap. I am a horrible responder to most drugs so it probably will work for others like it does in various articles and trials.

Don’t chuck the prazosin just yet. Last night was the third consecutive night that I took it and I am starting to see tangible results. It is very, very unusual for me to sleep through the night without at least one awakening, but last night I achieved it. The dose was half a milligram about an hour before bed. I also had pleasant dreams involving adventurous activity. I am also experimenting with taking it during the day. Here’s where it gets interesting. Every morning I experience autonomic arousal that persists for about two hours after I finish drinking my morning coffee. It manifests as a slight sense of anxiety or unease, a fine tremor to the fingers, and moistening of the palms of my hands. I’ve found that taking a quarter of a milligram of prazosin, which is one-eightieth of the standard dose used for treating essential hypertension, completely blocks this reaction. On a per-milligram basis, it’s stronger than Xanax. This miniscule dose also completely shuts off urinary hesitancy. I’m definitely going to talk to my doctor about this next time I see her, although obtaining a legitimate prescription might be pointless, because it’s substantially cheaper just to buy it from an offshore vendor. Costco pharmacy’s price is about 50 cents for a one-milligram capsule, which obviously can’t be cut. Mimaki Family Pharmacy in Japan sells one-milligram branded Pfizer tablets for about 34 cents. The only downside to this drug that I have experienced so far is the classic crappy, fatigued feeling that alpha and beta-blockers are well known to cause. However, I only experience this at dosages higher than half a milligram. The quarter milligram doses don’t produce it.

#66 stillwater

• 116 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

Don’t chuck the prazosin just yet. Last night was the third consecutive night that I took it and I am starting to see tangible results. It is very, very unusual for me to sleep through the night without at least one awakening, but last night I achieved it. The dose was half a milligram about an hour before bed. I also had pleasant dreams involving adventurous activity. I am also experimenting with taking it during the day. Here’s where it gets interesting. Every morning I experience autonomic arousal that persists for about two hours after I finish drinking my morning coffee. It manifests as a slight sense of anxiety or unease, a fine tremor to the fingers, and moistening of the palms of my hands. I’ve found that taking a quarter of a milligram of prazosin, which is one-eightieth of the standard dose used for treating essential hypertension, completely blocks this reaction. On a per-milligram basis, it’s stronger than Xanax. This miniscule dose also completely shuts off urinary hesitancy. I’m definitely going to talk to my doctor about this next time I see her, although obtaining a legitimate prescription might be pointless, because it’s substantially cheaper just to buy it from an offshore vendor. Costco pharmacy’s price is about 50 cents for a one-milligram capsule, which obviously can’t be cut. Mimaki Family Pharmacy in Japan sells one-milligram branded Pfizer tablets for about 34 cents. The only downside to this drug that I have experienced so far is the classic crappy, fatigued feeling that alpha and beta-blockers are well known to cause. However, I only experience this at dosages higher than half a milligram. The quarter milligram doses don’t produce it.

Thanks,  that is quite interesting. I still have a crapload of them left. I got the generic version from my Dr. for next to nothing. I'm in Canada.  I seem to handle propranolol quite well so I think I'm going to try your quarter mg  trick during the day and also at night. I only tried it before at a half dose , perhaps the quarter will work for me too.  I'll report back on this. 

#67 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:15 AM

This is also turning out to be an astonishingly effective muscle relaxant—far better than benzos or Flexaril. All of the muscles in my neck and shoulders are unknotting themselves in an unprecedented manner. They haven’t been this loose in years. It’s even better than that ‘fresh from the chiropractor’ feeling. I may have stumbled upon a panacea here. I’ve also read that with continued use, the insidious lethargic feeling will eventually go away. I found this Consumer Reports piece that sounds very encouraging:

http://www.consumerr...order/index.htm

AllDayChemist has even better pricing than Mimaki. AllDay’s price is $12.36 for 90 one-milligram Sun Pharma tabs, with $15 shipping. Mimaki sells 100 Pfizer tabs for $34.00 and charges about $16 for shipping.

#68 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:06 AM

Seriphos turned out a catastrophe for me so far.

I took one pill at 6PM yesterday, and at first it seem to calm me down however when I went sleep at midnight I woke up at 1AM with very bad pain impulses in my solar plexus and suffocating on the edge of panic feeling- I haven't got it that bad since last 2 months. I have no clue why it turned out like that. It might be the timing or it might be not suitable for me.

Tonight I will try to take one closer to bed (10PM) and then give it a break as I can't afford worsening my symptoms now and this is how it worked out so far.

#69 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

Kiwifruit, with its melatonin, may be of some use.

General resource:

http://www.health.ha...t-back-to-sleep

Insomnia, anxiety/depression, and sleep apnea as causes:

http://sleepdisorder...-Awakenings.htm

#70 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

Still experiencing excellent results from the prazosin and glycine. It’s not a miracle cure, but there’s no question now that they’re having a significant impact on my sleep quality. I’ve settled on a dose of half a milligram of prazosin and ¾ teaspoon of glycine (2.8 grams) an hour before bed. I’ve found bulk sources for these compounds that can bring the cost to as low as 14 cents a day for both. I’ve been recording results every morning. During the past ten days, I’ve slept through the night twice without waking up. The other eight nights there has only been one interruption each night and they were brief—just a quick pee and I fell back asleep within what seemed like just a few minutes. Total sleep time each night varied, ranging from 6.75 hours to 8.0 hours. There are no side effects at these doses. I’ve also noticed an increase in sex drive, but this may be coincidental.

#71 vanrobb

• 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

Experiencing the exact same symptoms as others here. 

I've had trouble getting to sleep since I was a teenager (now 35) and around 25 started drinking to help get to sleep. Started with 2-3 a few times a week but the last few years have been 4-5 every night consistently along with melatonin 1-2mg when I was having extra trouble. Went through some pretty stressful life events around mid June of this year and since then I've been waking up middle of the night and feeling extreme anxiety during the daytime. The stressful situations resolved themselves but now I'm going through almost identical things as the OP.  Around the same time in June I reduced the drinking back to 2 per night, started exercising 2-3 days per week (never have before, at all). 

I used to sleep around 10:30-11:00 and wake up around 7:30 feeling great. In June it started by waking up around 5:00 and not able to fall back to sleep at all. I thought it was the sun (new house, big windows. no curtains), but fixed that to pure darkness. I thought it might be from GABA effects due to reducing the alcohol so I increased that back to 4-5 drinks per night, but I only think that made things worse. Then mid July it became waking up at 3:00 with heart pounding really bad, extremely hot feeling (but never sweaty), and cant get back to sleep for hours. Sometimes I would get another hour or so of sleep before getting up at 7:30 but othertimes no more sleep at all. Some nights I would even wake up at 1:00, sleep after 20 mins or so, then again at 3:00, stay up for hours, then sleep again around 6:00, alarm at 7:30.

I think the anxiety was certainly exasperated by both the drinking and the sleep deprivation... My GP prescribed Trazodone which taken about an hour before bed literally knocks me out. But when I wake up at 3:00 I still can't sleep, but get super dizzy instead. 

Eventually I started figuring out that if I sleep another 2-3 hours after 6:00am I have deep rem sleep and vivid dreams, waking up around 9:00 feeling much better. That allows me to function in the daytime better since I'm not having the anxiety / emotional instability of sleep dep.

For medical stuff I first suspected hyper-thyoridism and checked T3 - T4 tests which were perfect. Then checked kidney liver etc all functioning fine. I checked hormones in general (testosterone, progesterone, estrogen etc) and my T levels were very low. Ref range was 200-1000 mine was 170. Started HRT with injections twice per week around mid July. Progesterone was also low and started supplementing that about 3 weeks ago. Neither of those has had a positive impact in sleep maintenance yet.

Three weeks ago I did a cortisol saliva test that came back perfectly normal. Elevated in the morning and tapering down to almost 0 at 10pm. I also gave them a vial of the 3am saliva but they "forgot" to test it... I might have to suck it up and order another one to see how high it is when I'm waking up, or if it's not high and means it's something other than cortisol.

Two weeks ago I finally went to a Psych and he prescribed Diazepam for 7 days tapering to get off the alcohol. Haven't had any at all since then. On day 3 and 4 of taking the diazepam I slept a solid 8 hours and felt great for the first time in months. Then I was tapering that down to 10mg per day and started waking up again (but easily falling back to sleep this time). Stopped the Diazepam 5 days ago, and had been feeling great, but for the last two nights in a row I'm right back to the 3:00am - 6:00am sleeplessness. I started a new (more stressful) job also 5 days ago, but it hasn't gotten stressful yet, I'm actually bored until the work actually hits. But I can't do the extra 3 hours of sleep between 6:00 to 9:00 anymore.

I've done lots of tests but not much attempts at supplementation. Given the alcohol background, are there any other suggestions that might make sense?

#72 dudmuck

• 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Since alcohol long-term is known to degrade liver function, you should consider milk thistle before bed (or earlier).  The reason chinese put liver meridian at 1am-3am is because glycogen stores are needed to be used at that time.  Since youve been using alcohol for long time, you may need to restore liver function.   But be aware that milk thistle can effect diazepam due to Cytochrome P450 2C9 (CYP2C9), so you should research it or ask doctor.   It takes 3 weeks continuous for milk thistle to work (at least).  There is also a liver detox stack.

Piracetam in the morning is good to reverse the negative effects of missed sleep.  Since piracetam increases membrane fluidity in your head, its worth a try to see how it makes you feel.

#73 vanrobb

• 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

I have been takign Himalaya liver care for a few weeks reading that it was better than milk thistle. Should I add milk thistle or replace? I only took diazepam for 6 days and don't plan on taking any more.

http://supplementsge...care-p-789.html

I don't know much about liver function and glycogen, but should eating something before bed help or hurt that? I've tried things like cheese sticks and almonds, protein shakes, etc.

Reading a bit more on it seems like it might be linked. I also started a "no grain" diet thing a bit before this all started, replacing my breakfast of eggs and 2 slices of toast with a berry smoothie, sandwhich for lunch replaced by something like sausage and sauerkraut, etc. Inadvertently I also very likely drastically reduced carb intake overall... I have since started eating "normal" again but other than the week of diazepam haven't seen much difference.

The  other thing that keeps coming up is GABA related stuff, but I'm not sure I should mess with it at all.

Edited by vanrobb, 21 August 2015 - 11:01 PM.

#74 vanrobb

• 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

Still experiencing excellent results from the prazosin and glycine. It’s not a miracle cure, but there’s no question now that they’re having a significant impact on my sleep quality. I’ve settled on a dose of half a milligram of prazosin and ¾ teaspoon of glycine (2.8 grams) an hour before bed. I’ve found bulk sources for these compounds that can bring the cost to as low as 14 cents a day for both. I’ve been recording results every morning. During the past ten days, I’ve slept through the night twice without waking up. The other eight nights there has only been one interruption each night and they were brief—just a quick pee and I fell back asleep within what seemed like just a few minutes. Total sleep time each night varied, ranging from 6.75 hours to 8.0 hours. There are no side effects at these doses. I’ve also noticed an increase in sex drive, but this may be coincidental.

A couple weeks later, still getting good results?

#75 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

Please mind the glycine's NMDA receptor co-agonist aspect. You don't want too much Ca+ in your neurons. A nice read:

GABA and Glycine
https://www.acnp.org/g4/GN401000008/Default.htm

#76 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

A couple weeks later, still getting good results?

I’m not sure. The last two times I took it the results were only so-so. I don’t know if the honeymoon is over or if I just hit a bump in the road. I’m still going to record results for a full 30 days before I make any definitive assessment. It’s so ridiculously inexpensive that I figure I might as well use it even if it turns out only to give mediocre results. Even the two nights that weren’t so great were still way better than baseline.

#77 proileri

• 80 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

I'd also make sure your bedroom is pitch black throughout the night, or use a sleeping mask. I noticed I'm somewhat sensitive to light when I sleep, which meant that I tended to wake up at the first light. Having better curtains has somewhat improved my sleep quality since. 

#78 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, I think you’re definitely on to something there. When I do have nocturnal awakenings, there’s a very high probability that one will occur at about 5:30, right when the Sun starts coming up. The vertical blinds in my bedroom fell off the wall about 15 years ago and I just stuck them in the toolshed and never put them back up. I should dust them off and rehang them.

#79 vanrobb

• 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

I had the same thought when I was waking around 5am. Now that I blacked out the room I am waking around 3am in pitch black.

Interestingly though now I am able to get back to sleep after 6am while the sun is up and there is some light in the room and have been getting an extra 2-3 hours in the daylight... 

What could that mean?

#80 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I think you’re definitely on to something there. When I do have nocturnal awakenings, there’s a very high probability that one will occur at about 5:30, right when the Sun starts coming up. The vertical blinds in my bedroom fell off the wall about 15 years ago and I just stuck them in the toolshed and never put them back up. I should dust them off and rehang them.

Maybe the body wants us to go to sleep at nightfall and wake up at dawn, and everything else is a fight against that imperative?

#81 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:09 PM

Well, today marks the end of my 30-day trial of prazosin and glycine. My consensus—overwhelming success. During the past 15 years, I literally cannot remember getting a single night of uninterrupted sleep. It simply doesn’t happen. Nocturnal awakenings are usually long, ranging in duration from half an hour to two hours with a lot of tossing and turning. That’s now a thing of the past. I have been recording results in an Excel spreadsheet every morning for the past month. About one out of every five nights I have slept through the night without waking up at all. About an equal number of nights it didn’t work as well and there was a little tossing and turning, but I fell back asleep within half an hour. There was only one marathon two-hour flopfest during the entire 30-day time period. The remaining 60% of the nights there were one or two awakenings, but they very brief—just a quick pee and a glass of water and I fell right back asleep. This protocol is designed for sleep maintenance, but I found that the addition of the glycine had a small impact on the time it took to fall asleep. Overall, this is an effective, non-addictive, and dirt-cheap method for ameliorating sleep maintenance issues.

#82 stillwater

• 116 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

Well, today marks the end of my 30-day trial of prazosin and glycine. My consensus—overwhelming success. During the past 15 years, I literally cannot remember getting a single night of uninterrupted sleep. It simply doesn’t happen. Nocturnal awakenings are usually long, ranging in duration from half an hour to two hours with a lot of tossing and turning. That’s now a thing of the past. I have been recording results in an Excel spreadsheet every morning for the past month. About one out of every five nights I have slept through the night without waking up at all. About an equal number of nights it didn’t work as well and there was a little tossing and turning, but I fell back asleep within half an hour. There was only one marathon two-hour flopfest during the entire 30-day time period. The remaining 60% of the nights there were one or two awakenings, but they very brief—just a quick pee and a glass of water and I fell right back asleep. This protocol is designed for sleep maintenance, but I found that the addition of the glycine had a small impact on the time it took to fall asleep. Overall, this is an effective, non-addictive, and dirt-cheap method for ameliorating sleep maintenance issues.

Glad to hear it worked for you, I kept trying it to no avail, my system just doesn't seem to like it. 

#83 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

You'll think it's nuts but try Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch before bed.  Begin with a teaspoon or two and work your way up to a couple tablespoons.  If you don't work your way your way up you will have some issues with flatulence (lol).  

Green Banana flour is probably an even better choice, albeit more expensive.

If you do a search you can find more info and personal accounts of these starches helping with sleep architecture/nocturnal awakening.

Plus, the Bob's starch is dirt cheap and readily available.

#84 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

Prazosin for the win, again. Last night I didn’t take it because my supply was exhausted and my current order from AllDay has been rolling around in customs for over a week. It really made a difference. Despite the fact that I took two milligrams of etizolam, three grams of glycine, and 25 milligrams of MK-677, the absence of the prazosin made a significant difference in sleep quality. It’s really remarkable what this simple, inexpensive drug does. I can’t even begin to thank stillwater enough for bringing this to my attention.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#85 cg8732b

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:36 AM

Hey guys, so just wanted to check in since its been awhile. Things have been progressively getting worst; I'm at 5hrs of sleep a night now once again and I started up on my research again. I've been trying Bacopa this month which I was hoping might help but doesn't seem to assist with sleep as all. One positive is I feel slightly less anxious however I have started meditating daily as well so that could also contribute.

My next idea is to try Pregnenolone. There was a Joe Rogan experience podcast episode recently where he is discussing neurosteriods with a Dr. and he seemed to have a very high opinion of it for correcting all sort of issues like anxiety, Alzheimer, etc. His group was offering free help to veterans who are returning from war with some sort of brain trauma because this supposedly is solving their problems with depression, etc so don't commit suicide. I was reading about what else it can help with and some people mention sleep. I know my hormone levels should be normal at my age (32) however I've had a lot of stress lately as well as not sleeping which exasperates the stress which may have thrown off my natural levels. Here's, an article LEF wrote about the stuff, http://www.lifeexten...enolone/Page-01.

Apparently Pregnenolone a precursor to all hormones in the body so if your low on one of them it can help even you out. I was thinking about doing a blood test from LEF to check my levels of hormones (~$300) however it's actually not allowed in my state so I may just buy a low dose such as 5mg (http://www.amazon.co...t_dp_o_pC_S_ttl) take it every other day for a month then hopefully stop. Any thoughts? From what I've been reading that should be a "safe" dose.

Hope the post makes sense. Any input is appreciated!

#86 mait

• 256 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

I have been battling similar type of insomnia for years and for past 6 months I have been using following stack with great results. Just before bed I take:

8g of potassium bicarbonate
2g of magnesium-l-threonate
400mg of zinc gluconate
35mg of pregnenolone
12g of L-glycine
1.5g of withania somnifera (ashwagandha) extract (5%)
3g of magnesium glycinate

I also dropped melatonin at exact period the previously described stack was stared. This may be the confounding variable behind the effectiveness assessment for described stack for me. Subjective I felt that 5-10mg melatonin before sleep over 2 years’ period deteriorated the general sleep quality for me. So take this feedback with grain of salt.  

Further, about 3 months ago I added daily dose of 20mg of NSI-189 to my stack. NSI-189 has also bettered my fragmented sleeping pattern.

Edited by mait, 03 October 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#87 cg8732b

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

What effects did you notice with Pregnenolone? I'm going to place an order for the 5mg pills now so I can test next week.

Seems like pretty large doses of everything. I'll try to up my dose of Magnesium to see if it helps. I've read that zinc can have an awakening effect on your body. I've always been confused on whether to take at night or morning since the popular ZMA has the two together and says to take before bed. Currently taking 30mg every other day in the morning with my AM regimen.

I stopped glycine because I wasn't noticing any help, it may have helped at first but currently it doesn't.

#88 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

I'm going to get my hands on some prazosin, thanks to the members in this thread for bringing it to my attention.  I'll let you guys know how that turns out.  This insomnia issue is out of control. 

#89 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

Last night I cut my nightly dose of etizolam in half, from two milligrams to one milligram. It still worked. One mg. of eti, one mg. of prazosin, and ¾ teaspoon of glycine still produced nine hours of almost rock-solid, restorative sleep. There were two very brief awakenings, but in both instances I fell back asleep within a matter of minutes. I am now sleeping normally for essentially the first time in my entire life, at least going as far back as elementary school. If TLR’s new etizolam turns out to be genuine product, the total cost of all three compounds combined will be 31 cents/day.  I can now also substantially reduce my caffeine consumption, because the daytime fatigue that etizolam causes is almost nonexistent following a one-milligram dose, but it is very pronounced following a two-milligram dose. I won’t have to drink as much coffee now to wash away the aftereffects of the etizolam. This will help substantially with anxiety issues, which will in turn lessen the insomnia. It’s turning out to be a win-win situation all around. Thanks again to stillwater for pointing me in the right direction. This is really working.

• Cheerful x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:37 AM

I have been using prazosin for a couple months now.  I usually take 1 - 1.5mg an hour or two before sleep. I still wake up often thru the night, but the prazosin seems to allow me to fall back to sleep quicker.  It also seems to reduce my need to get up and take a leak in the middle of the night.  One slightly annoying side effect is a stuffy nose when it first starts to kick in.  Not stuffy with mucus, but the expected side effect of an alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist.  Not a big deal, and not bad enough to interfere with me falling asleep.  I must say,   it has certainly not proven itself to have the near-silver bullet effect that stillwater exerienced with it earlier in this thead.

I've basically ditched my prescribed lunesta for etizolam.  Not only do I seem to get better sleep with the etizolam (1mg), but I wake up feeling much fresher with none of the hangover effect that lunesta would give. 

My current sleep stack consists of the above two drugs, along with Natrol 3mg time-released melatonin, rosemary extract (60mg rosemarinic acid), 300mg magnesium malate, and sometimes I wash it all down with some Sleepytime tea.  This has been the best sleep stack FOR ME that I've come across.  A cup of warm milk 20-30 mins after the tea, and a tablespoon or two of raw honey occasionally seem to help too.

In regards to my previous sleep stack mentioned earlier in this thread HERE, I dropped most of those things because they weren't very effective for me.  In particular, I believe the seriphos actually made things worse.  I would consider gastrodin again, but for general brain health as oppose to a sleep aid.

Anyway, I've learned that when it comes to sleep aids, you have to find what works for you, which can be a long and arduous process.  

I still hope that once I start doing NFB, I can fix my brain and get off all this crap (or at the very least, the pharmaceuticals). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: insomnia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users