- - - - -

Mushroom complexes as daily supplements

mushroom reishi

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

• 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

At the moment I take Cordyceps for energy and occasionally reishi for its immune support.

Was thinking of adding this product

Rainbow Light, Certified Organics, Immuno-Build Greens

http://ca.iherb.com/...-oz-133-g/41451

Except for the Stevia, seems like quite a comprehensive product with '1,000 mg Immune-Supporting Mushrooms of Trametes, Reishi, Maitake and Shitake'.

Anyone care to comment on the ingredients?

Edited by cylon, 21 March 2015 - 01:50 PM.

• like x 1

#2 Aeroeng

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:47 PM

Hi there 

are you using rainbow light cordyceps ?

Do you feel better ? I don't think there mushrooms are extracts though !

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:03 AM

It's an impressive list of ingredients, and I'd be tempted to buy some of that myself but it's a bit pricey. Although, I take a lot of those ingredients separately and probably end up paying the same or more, so... yeah.

I've been taking cordyceps, lion's mane, reishi, and chaga extracts for several months. Cordyceps and lion's mane are delicious! 

• Agree x 1

#4 98NSX

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

Hey Deeptrance are you taking a specific lion's mane brand? 

I'm considering the usage and I've seen at least one reputable vendor (Host Defense).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey OP one of my relatives uses reishi for it's anti-aging and anti-disease properties.

You might want to check if "Garden of Life" carries any organic mushroom blends.
It could save on your purchase and you can't go wrong with their quality products.

#5 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

A few of my mycologist friends have been watching the video below with great interest. Overall the author, Chilton, whom some of these mycologists know and trust, states that the above ground fruiting bodies, not the underground base mycelium contain most or all of the medicinal benefits, largely he targets beta-glucan content. Chilton used to work with Paul Stamets and they have written books together, Stamets of course is also  greatly respected, but most of Stamets Fungi Perfecti extracts are from lab grown mycelium, not from the above ground carpophores. The reason is that mycelium can be far more easily grown in huge vats while growing the fruting bodies is far more problematic, far more expensive and also some types of mushrooms such as Cordyceps has not been easily grown commercially.

I have been waiting decades for this research since most studies from China and Japan regarding the health benefits used fruiting bodies, not mycelium. Next up like with many herbs, I'd like to see dosage quantified per illness, seems to be little  precision in that regard.

I recently ordered from Chilton's company to compare with Mushroom Harvest products I have bought in the past and right now for new customers there is a 35% off coupon for the order. http://www.realmushrooms.com/

Here is the video:

and a write up: http://www.nammex.co...inal-mushrooms/

• like x 1

#6 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

Hey Deeptrance are you taking a specific lion's mane brand? 

I've purchased Lion's Mane from Smart Powders, Hard Rhino, and Powder City. I've been happy with all of them. There is a slight variation in the taste from one to the other but they all have basically the same distinctive flavor, character, and texture. 

The only other company I purchased mushroom powders from was a disappointment. I don't recall their name, but what they were selling was mycellium in growing medium. So in order to get like a quarter teaspoon of mushroom, I had to consume a couple teaspoons of brown rice flour and whatever else was in the medium. Each of the 3 powders tasted identical, so I had no way to evaluate anything pertaining to their distinctiveness or identifying characteristics. However, that company told me that their method is preferable to powders consisting of the fruiting body and that their products contain higher levels of active ingredients. I have no opinion on this, I only know that I prefer the way I'm taking it now and don't want to add tablespoons of rice flour to my diet.

#7 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:24 AM

This is a very critical study, maybe I ought to start a new thread so more people see it.

I have only once purchased Chinese Cordyceps whole fruiting bodies, and it was an amazing substance, very energizing, made me feel strong for hours. It was very expensive and I bought it before the economic boom in China which caused prices and interest to surge.

I feel very little from recently purchased mycelial extracts.  I am looking forward to testing out Nammex's Real Mushrooms 35% beta-glucan product derived  from whole organic mushrooms.

Starch in final products gives a high measure of general beta-glucans but not the specific targeted beta-glucan we want, so the stats have little value. Chilton of Nammex targeted the correct beta-glucan along with other studies of triterpenoid content. I do not know much about the latter compound though.

In the chart below, only Chaga mycelium seem rich in the targeted beta-glucan, most of the others pale.

Also of note, just buying fresh Oyster Mushrooms or growing your own, is a great way to get the targeted beta-glucan and they taste great too! I have been collecting them wild lately, on Cottonwood trees along with Lion's Mane lately.

Here is a chart from Nammex that shows how little of the targeted beta-glucan occurred in mycelium compared to from whole mushrooms.

Nammex site, if you can't read it then read it here, half way down: http://www.nammex.co...inal-mushrooms/

I have the entire study on pdf but it is too large to post here.

Attached File  Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 6.26.15 PM.png   48.38KB   2 downloads

Edited because I am having trouble getting the chart to show up.

Edited by Aka Poe, 25 October 2015 - 12:32 AM.

#8 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:53 AM

This is a very critical study, maybe I ought to start a new thread so more people see it.

Probably a good idea. It seems that even the OP has abandoned this thread. It's a problem with this entire forum, threads die quite easily and I think it has a lot to do with the way the forum is structured. It's not as easy to interact with as any of the other forums I've participated in. Hard to explain, it's a combination of factors that probably pertain to the underlying software and how it's configured.

Trametes are almost half beta glucans! And I've never even heard of that mushroom. Have you ever tried it?

The chart is clickable and up-sizes when clicked so that it's readable. You probably know this already but maybe someone else won't know to click it.

#9 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

Trametes is Turkey Tail,  we have them growing on logs in the yard and I have collected them in many places in the wild.  They are small colorful round fins that resemble a turkey's tail. The fins are flexible but tough as can be, chewing them does not break them down much. They need to be powdered in a blender for consumption, or go a step further and  cover in a jar with ethanol or high proof vodka and steep off the tea. Extraction can be repeated with boiling water to get otehr ingredients that alcohol won't easily dissolve. You can then gently heat down the extract and tincture or just dry it all the way down and put it in gel caps.

Stamets states that he cured his mother's cancer with Turkey tail extract.

One surprise in the study is that  Oyster Mushrooms are also extremely high in beta-glucan D and you can buy them at many grocery stores. On top of that they are delicious! No need to succumb to eating another questionable pill/supplement.

• like x 1

#10 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:10 AM

U can buy Reishi dried mushroom and use it as a tea. Reishi is amazing.

#11 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

Below  is a good deal for sliced organic Reishi if you are not interested in extracts. I think sometimes powdered Reishi is adulterated with cheaper material, I have heard Chaga and you name may also be.  To avoid that, you can buy sliced Reishi, I prefer organic.  Here is the cheapest source I have found, and I have bought from this long established company for years: Organic Reishi slices, a pound for $21 US. https://www.mountain...-slices/profile

I also buy ginseng root whole, then I can see the size and condition of the roots, then I toss them in a blender and eat a portion witha  teaspoon, same as I do with reishi etc. As I noted, buying fresh Oyster mushrooms in the grocery store and cooking them up is a tasty way to enjoy beta-glucan D supplementation.

I suppose this ought to be in retail product discussion?

#12 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

Below  is a good deal for sliced organic Reishi if you are not interested in extracts. I think sometimes powdered Reishi is adulterated with cheaper material, I have heard Chaga and you name may also be.  To avoid that, you can buy sliced Reishi, I prefer organic.  Here is the cheapest source I have found, and I have bought from this long established company for years: Organic Reishi slices, a pound for $21 US. https://www.mountain...-slices/profile

I also buy ginseng root whole, then I can see the size and condition of the roots, then I toss them in a blender and eat a portion witha  teaspoon, same as I do with reishi etc. As I noted, buying fresh Oyster mushrooms in the grocery store and cooking them up is a tasty way to enjoy beta-glucan D supplementation.

I suppose this ought to be in retail product discussion?

How much do you eat of the reishi per day? I'm a fan of Mountain Rose too, and would be happy to buy from them if a pound of reishi lasts long enough to justify the price. Hmm... the reishi powder I'm taking now only says "reishi mushroom" on the label, so it's not like it's a concentrate. I presume the MR reishi slices are dry, so that water weight is very low as in the powder. I'm taking 2 grams a day, so if that were to remain the same with the sliced mushroom then that's 227 days for $21, vs. 250 days for $30 with the powder I buy, and it seems to me that the intact mushroom is probably higher in active constituents than the processed powder. Thoughts?

Edited by deeptrance, 11 November 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#13 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:23 AM

One of the connundrums with herbs and mushroom products is that data is lacking on specific dosage for benefits  per illness and patient's weight etc. That has always bugged me. I have studied TCM and have a few friends who are practioners and I always thought that textbook's dosage recommendations were lacking scientific scrutiny and were very, very gray. Often enough the author espouses that such and such an herb at 2 gr per day was one size fits all for any weight person or any illness. Lets hope someone takes this up and improves on it!  Many a  good PhD dissertations await!

I can not guess how much Reishi is the right amount, wish I could. What are you taking it for if you don't mind saying, otherwise PM if you want.

I think at the very cheap price of $21 per pound for organic Reishi though, when many sell the same for $50 or so, it is a great deal. Probably if you dig deaper other companies match that price but after  an hour of searching I found them cheapest.  A pound is a hell of a lot, should last you ages.

Some mushrooms need more than the gut to break down their tough cell walls, so hence they are extracted with alcohol or hot water or both. I should add that at times with plants, neither alco nor water dissolves the actives, so sometimes other solvents are used. 

I think powdered Chaga for one, is not easily broken down by the gut so needs to be made into a tea with hot water and alcohol, not sure about reishi. 

A leading brand in  Japan claims their organic Reishi is 35% beta d glucans, but it costs $500 for a pound! Yikes! Might help with power plant radiation .....mutter, mutter, mutter.......... Go radioactive Kitty chan!

A mycologist friend chews a bit of dried Reishi every morning after coffee, leaves it as a quid in his mouth for 20 minutes while sucking on the bitter mass, letting some of it absorb sublingually. I assume that method is a better method than just swallowing the powder, but who knows?

I'd say get some whole Reishi, powder it in a blender, save half to eat as powder via teaspoon, and tincture the other half with alc/water and take that too.

Locally,  I can buy "Everclear," it is not available everywhere though, but over 95% alcohol so I use that for tinctures. My friend in Toronto had to get an alcohol license to make tinctures for his TCM , acupuncture therapy business since Everclear is not sold in Canada legally and many US states can not sell it.  I have also seen nearly equal % Polish Vodka abroad in Japan that I used there for extracts. It barely had any potato left in it after distilling!  If you can't find Everclear find the highest per cent alcohol vodka in a major liquor store. 151 Rum is 75% which will work in many cases.

If you despise alcohol traces in your tincture, place the alcohol tea in an wide pan, slowly dry the alcohol tea down until it is evaporated, you can use a  heater in the room or place the pan on super low on the stove until dry or near dry.   Afterward combine  your secondary  water extract part, stir and put in small tincture bottles. Personally I do not find tiny amounts of alcohol to be a problem and so i leave some alc in there,  alc is good in a tincture as a preservative.

Edited by Aka Poe, 12 November 2015 - 01:36 AM.

#14 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

Has anyone tried growing their own reishi or lions mane? Is it feasible in a house?

#15 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

I have a friend growing Lion's Mane outdoors, north of San Francisco.  He is growing three strains in bags filled with a composite. They fruit in winter  as that is when the temperature is right and humidity highest.

You can also buy Reishi, Oyster, and other types of ready to grow kits, including Lion's Mane.  They are easy to grow with such kits and fun to grow. Price is not too bad.

A quick web search for Lion's Mane kits turns up many companies selling such composite bags with Lion's Mane spawn already in them.  Whether they grow well will depend on the temperature and relative humidity of where you live. Ireland if that is where you are, should be perfect for growing them.

Here are a few places that sell the kits, unsure about who might sell them inside Europe, customs might have a problem with living spawn?

http://www.mushrooms...kits/lions-mane (Ohio).

https://www.mushroom...its-categories/

http://everythingmus...dy-to-grow-kit/

From Fungi Perfecti (Stamets company) http://www.amazon.co...BW9F9RXBA441G78

#16 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

I have a friend growing Lion's Mane outdoors, north of San Francisco.  He is growing three strains in bags filled with a composite. They fruit in winter  as that is when the temperature is right and humidity highest.

You can also buy Reishi, Oyster, and other types of ready to grow kits, including Lion's Mane.  They are easy to grow with such kits and fun to grow. Price is not too bad.

A quick web search for Lion's Mane kits turns up many companies selling such composite bags with Lion's Mane spawn already in them.  Whether they grow well will depend on the temperature and relative humidity of where you live. Ireland if that is where you are, should be perfect for growing them.

Here are a few places that sell the kits, unsure about who might sell them inside Europe, customs might have a problem with living spawn?

http://www.mushrooms...kits/lions-mane (Ohio).

https://www.mushroom...its-categories/

http://everythingmus...dy-to-grow-kit/

From Fungi Perfecti (Stamets company) http://www.amazon.co...BW9F9RXBA441G78

Agh anything can get through customs here really if its bought through amazon. They dont bother looking really. I have a problem with those kits in that you only get one or possibly a second weaker harvest from there. I would love to make a self replicating mushroom harvester in my warm hot water press with some LEDs. Ill have to do a bit of research.

Thanks ever so much for compiling that for me. Appreciated friend. I dont see many people who take lions mane long term usually because of cost and no affect it seems. The science isnt really there that it boosts NGF long term and we dont even really know that boosting it is any good for you anyway. Could you chime in with anything to the contrary?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Ebay in the UK has similar mushroom growing kits. I don't know about the yield from such kits, it is surely variable.

I have not read a lot about Lion's Mane and BDNF, the efficacy I think as you said is still a gray area. It surely has been used for dementia and other cognitive ailments tradtionally in Asia, and I doubt that practitioners would use it for such a long time if they did not think it did anything.

I know one tradtional healer in China, she told me that in recent times most Chinese havemoved on from traditional TCM and instead go for western style medicine, she added that herbs, mushrooms  as medicine might be more popular in the west.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mushroom, reishi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users