- - - - -

Supplements for my father? [50+, alcoholic, indigestion]

50+ supplements vitamins alcoholic indigestion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 k4ir0s

• 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

What supplements should my father be taking (and at what dose)?

He's a 62 years old, long time alcoholic, has indigestion issues; somewhat poor nutrition, and a lot of anxiety. Sadly, he'd rather pop some vitamins rather than change his habits and go to the doctor.

I'd really appreciate any help. I tried researching it myself, but I come across a lot of bad information.

Edited by k4ir0s, 24 March 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:54 AM

SAM-e and PPC (polyenylphosphatidylcholine) come to mind.   

PPC completely prevented cirrhosis in alcoholic baboons in one study

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8276177

Here's something on SAM-e: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12163146

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:46 AM

he would probably benefit from supplementary taurine / milk thistle (for liver health), piracetam and/or other nootropics, a good multi-vitamin or few main components that he is probably deficient in (vitamin k, d, magnesium), and prebiotics for gut health: nutra flora fos, potato starch, high-maize resistant starch, etc

#4 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:09 AM

All of the above posters are right. I would add high quality milk thistle, nac (before starting drinking), potassium and try an attenuate the anxiety which could be related to the booze. This is hard to get right, he will have to experiment a bit. Start with like Rhodiola, 5htp, eluthero and schisandra.

#5 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Is he still drinking or not?

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

Good point from hamishm00.  When you find high anxiety and alcoholism in the same person, it's a good bet that the person is drinking to self-medicate the anxiety.  Of course, the drinking may eventually grow into its own addiction, separate from the anxiety, and may result in outcomes that make the anxiety worse.   Another common anxiety self-medication is nicotine.  Does he smoke?  If so, I'd give him C60 olive oil.

#7 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:25 AM

PPC also is known to "fix" gut issues...  

http://www.lef.org/M...ort/Page-02?p=1

"A study on experimentally induced gastric ulcers in rats (Dunjic BS, et al., 1993) showed that mucosal lesions were significantly reduced by a single dose of PPC given before or after the injury factor, which in this study was ethanol or an NSAID"

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#8 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

Interesting point Synesthesia. I know you are a big fan of this supplement (I have read many threads where you have endorsed it). I've been taking it as a result, to try it out. I must admit I haven't had any ulcers or gastric issues since starting a year or so ago. I do notice that it doesn't help with neck, jaw and upper back tension (which I have) - it makes this worse. As a result I take it at night - it means I don't get tension during the day - doesn't seem to affect sleep either.

#9 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:17 PM

Glad you became interested enough in the PPC to try it hamishm00.  I've often wondered if anyone ever actually tries the supp's others recommend.  

PPC really does make your gut about bulletproof...  My girlfriend takes NSAID's for frequent headaches that were wrecking her gut.  She doesn't much believe in supplements, but tried some PPC in despair once during a bad cluster headache when she had become too sick to take any more NSAID's.  Now she's sold.  Doesn't take it daily, but always with NSAID's!  

I cycle off most of my supp's occasionally and really notice when I drop the PPC.  I usually have a couple pints of Lager before bed and when I'm off the PPC, I notice it the next morning.  When on the PPC, I wake up fresh as a daisy.  

#10 k4ir0s

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful!

I read that large doses B vitamins can be good for alcoholics, because the're deficient in that area. So my question is, if I buy him a decent multivitamin, can I also add B-100 Complex to his stack? Or would it be dangerous? 

It would add up to 125mg niacin, 140mg B6, 400mg B12, Pantothenic Acid 200mg.. Is this to much? The niacin alone may cause problems, because people can experience heat flushes at 40mg. 

I read that 300mg of each major B vitamin was recommended for alcoholism, but that seems a bit high doesn't it?

Edited by k4ir0s, 19 May 2015 - 10:43 PM.

#11 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:08 AM

I was about to suggest B complex, but the OP beat me to it. B1 is especially important for alcoholics. I don't know about the proper dosages or proportions of various B's in relation to each other though, but I would not megadose on a daily basis.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Fred C. Dobbs

• 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

The absolute most important supplement for an alcoholic is Sulbutiamine.

Alcohol-related dementia is a very serious widespread issue for alcoholics, but most people have never heard of it. It is mostly caused by Thiamine deficiency due to malnutritional and because alcohol inhibits thiamine uptake.

Thiamine is poorly absorbed and has a hard time crossing the blood-brain barrier.

Sulbutiamine is a synthetic form of thiamine that is highly bioavailable and easily crosses the blood-brain barrier, where it is converted to regular thiamine.

Sulbutiamine is best taken with fat. There are Longecity threads that dicuss its use as a nootropic for people without severe thiamine deficiency.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3580328/

https://en.wikipedia...elated_dementia

https://en.wikipedia...sakoff_syndrome

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Sulbutiamine

Another useful supplement might be serrapeptase or nattokinase to remove scar tissue from the liver to prevent/treat cirrhosis.

Edited by WmChurch, 15 August 2015 - 08:15 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 50+, supplements, vitamins, alcoholic, indigestion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users